Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
I noticed that on a lot of race radiator that they have the suction set up like in this link. Seems to support what I have been saying about getting better flow from the bottom tank to the pump.
Tony

http://www.dockingengineering.com/gallery.html
Tony,
Nice shop! Looks like they can do just about anything you could think of asking for.
So, how's your car been doing? Still running like a "cool top"?
Have you sorted out how you're going to run a 'stat?
Cheers,
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Its running heaps cooler also noticed on really hot days the aircon works better. The reason that is that in the old days and with the wifes car once the engine goes over a certain temp the ECU suts down the AC to try cool the engine. I haven't sorted the Thermo plan yet.

Did you see the way they went to so much trouble to get the coolent outlet to feed properly by using a tapared suction pipe. It sure makes what Adam was doing sound smart.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Its running heaps cooler also noticed on really hot days the aircon works better. The reason that is that in the old days and with the wifes car once the engine goes over a certain temp the ECU suts down the AC to try cool the engine. I haven't sorted the Thermo plan yet.

Did you see the way they went to so much trouble to get the coolent outlet to feed properly by using a tapared suction pipe. It sure makes what Adam was doing sound smart.
Tony
Tony,
I noticed that! Probably cost prohibitive on mass production runs
Post up when you get your 'stat situation sorted out.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
I noticed that on a lot of race radiator that they have the suction set up like in this link. Seems to support what I have been saying about getting better flow from the bottom tank to the pump.
Tony

http://www.dockingengineering.com/gallery.html
I was thinking that it would not be difficult to build the larger outlet for an alloy radiator by utilizing a simple hammerform. In fact it could be easily repeated accurately without investing anything for tooling. I have access to a very large woodworking shop w/free materials so I use this method a lot, even for one-offs.

BTW, Docking Engineering was my inspiration for this intercooler I built. I started with a WRX core and fabricated end tanks from sheet alloy using simple hammerforms. A tapered radiator outlet would be far easier to make than this was, FWIW.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
I was thinking that it would not be difficult to build the larger outlet for an alloy radiator by utilizing a simple hammerform. In fact it could be easily repeated accurately without investing anything for tooling. I have access to a very large woodworking shop w/free materials so I use this method a lot, even for one-offs.

BTW, Docking Engineering was my inspiration for this intercooler I built. I started with a WRX core and fabricated end tanks from sheet alloy using simple hammerforms. A tapered radiator outlet would be far easier to make than this was, FWIW.

Show off!!

Now, go off and make a couple of outlets for those of us with PWR radiators!

-Bill

My Locker
Old 02-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Impressive! Nice work Bob!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:

Tony

Quote:

Ah see, you're old-school fab like me! Anneal that metal and form it around die sets. Brilliant! :lol
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 PM

Well you learn somthing every day, I never would have figured that you could do that. I am convinced if we run our engines to 9,000 that's 300l per minute we are going to have to make sure we get it out of the radiator the best way possiable.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Show off!!

Now, go off and make a couple of outlets for those of us with PWR radiators!

-Bill
I would just need a radiator to pattern from that has been marked with the new outlet location. Once I had that, I could make an outlet which could be shipped out and welded on locally.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I would just need a radiator to pattern from that has been marked with the new outlet location. Once I had that, I could make an outlet which could be shipped out and welded on locally.
Okay, so who has a PWR and lives close to Bob?

Tony -- think we could get enough benefit from just replacing the stock outlet with one of Bob's custom pieces versus using a custom piece relocated to the center of the bottom tank? I'd like to minimize the amount of cutting and welding, if possible.
Thanks.

-Bill
p.s. Bob -- how long would you need the radiator? Worst case, I'll ship you my PWR.

My Locker
Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Bob I can mostly do 1 better I have the plans of the last PWR I had made so I could send that to you also I could design the position and shape of the new out let.
Would that work.

The more I think about this the more it makes sense if you do it for air you would think it would be done for coolant. Friction on water is greater then friction on air.

Tony
Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Bob I can mostly do 1 better I have the plans of the last PWR I had made so I could send that to you also I could design the position and shape of the new out let.
Would that work.

The more I think about this the more it makes sense if you do it for air you would think it would be done for coolant. Friction on water is greater then friction on air.

Tony
Tony,
+1
Here's another thing to possibly factor in. If the outlet is going to be moved toward the center of the bottom tank, is there an existing 42mm ID radiator hose (from another car) that would be a "use as is"? I've got upgraded silicone radiator hoses now (stock SVX configuration/size), so I'd like to be able use the same type of hose on the modified outlet. Adam/Bob - what does the lower hose on a WRX look like? Might it be a candidate?
-Bill

My Locker
Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Tony,
+1
Here's another thing to possibly factor in. If the outlet is going to be moved toward the center of the bottom tank, is there an existing 42mm ID radiator hose (from another car) that would be a "use as is"? I've got upgraded silicone radiator hoses now (stock SVX configuration/size), so I'd like to be able use the same type of hose on the modified outlet. Adam/Bob - what does the lower hose on a WRX look like? Might it be a candidate?
-Bill
Lower hoses are nearly identical between the two cars. It's the upper hose that's different due to the radiator inlet location being different on the two cars.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 PM

just started reading this thread.. and decided i would loose my mind it i read all 70 pages haha. What did you guys end up doing to cure the overheating? I have been trying to figure out what to do so mine wont over heat with the power im looking for.

I was going to run a large electric water pump but in the first few pages you mention its something internal as well as the cross pipe. If you could tell me which page you explain what you did to cure it that would be awesome! Or just shoot me a PM

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

short answer is enlarge the inlet to the water pump and outlet from the radiator to 42mm ID. Slightly longer answer is also to relocate the thermostat to the line feeding the radiator and enlarging the crossover pipe at the top rear of the engine. Oh, yeah, you'll need to go with a PWR radiator or something similar, the stock radiator just won't cut it.
-Bill

My Locker