Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
No cold water, its winter here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Why the dyno plots are so different? I'm not trying to pour cold water on Harvey's invention, but this doesn't make sense.

Surely the QC only modifies the gearchange. Therefore the only substantial difference should be in the 1 second of the dyno run so that the transmission is shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Yes Phil, the change takes place in that 1/4 of a second. But the effects of the Torque Converters multiplication lasts a bit longer, to give the boost.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Harvey - when I hit it just right - not at full throttle but about 7/8th throttle - I get a noticeably different gear change. Rather than the normal gear change it feels like a shift in a manual where you keep the throttle at max and only change gears with the clutch and gearbox. A slight slipping of the clutch as the gear is engaged and the car jumps forward much harder. In the auto it seems to only happen when my foot is not on the floor, but close to it. The engine revs stay higher on these lucky gear changes.

I like it. But it is extremely difficult to duplicate. Could this be the TCU not performing the torque reduction in the absence of WOT? Will this be what the QC kit will do? If it is, I am in.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Harvey - when I hit it just right - not at full throttle but about 7/8th throttle - I get a noticeably different gear change. Rather than the normal gear change it feels like a shift in a manual where you keep the throttle at max and only change gears with the clutch and gearbox. A slight slipping of the clutch as the gear is engaged and the car jumps forward much harder. In the auto it seems to only happen when my foot is not on the floor, but close to it. The engine revs stay higher on these lucky gear changes.

I like it. But it is extremely difficult to duplicate. Could this be the TCU not performing the torque reduction in the absence of WOT? Will this be what the QC kit will do? If it is, I am in.
"Under heavy loads and in manual mode" is when the torque control is utilized. What the QC does is disable the torque control during shifts. As I quoted from the manuals earlier in the thread, there are reasons not to do this. A warning you may or may not, it is up to you. Call it negativity or whatever you like.

tom
Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

A bit hard to say Matt, the torque control is used on all shifts. The duration of the cut changes to suit the situation. The longest one is when you pull the lever into reverse, from a cold start, when the Idle speed is high, so it doesn't jump through the garage door.

But that is is feeling that it gives. It is very progressive in its operation. If you cruise around town, you won't notice anything different. Use a bit more throttle and the change becomes a bit faster and firmer. Stick your foot into it and the change becomes faster and harder.

I have been in Automotive for over 50 years, been on The Network since before it started, I wouldn't dud you Matt.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks Harvey,
I sent a note to Budfreak to order a QC.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Harvey,
I sent a note to Budfreak to order a QC.
Care to share a test drive when it's installed?

I can swing by on the BMW. :-)
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:55 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
I don't follow your reasoning Trev.

The torque control is a binary switch not a voltage. It is either On or Off, ie "Ground" or "Not Ground". What is the benefit of introducing a resistor into the circuit? The engine torque is not in any way proportional to the voltage on this line.

Phil, thanks for the definitive information.

You will note that I included the words, “ it would appear that”. Unfortunately I have not been in conference with you and shared your knowledge regarding the software, as has Harvey. On the basis of the information available to me it appeared that a voltage signal was involved, but I also appreciated that test and experiment would be necessary.

The manual indicates that either a short circuit, or an open circuit, will record a fault code and this tended to preclude on/off binary control to ground. Fault detection circuitry must be quite sophisticated. In point of fact what you state means that control is easier to achieve than I had anticipated.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:26 AM

Registered SVX
Here we have a product offered for sale via a non member, on a conflicting site, without any form of description or specification as to its purpose, performance or use, forthcoming from the manufacturer. This precludes any purchaser from establishing liability in respect of performance or fault.

The scant information available stems from a user apparently supplied with a complimentary sample. Here placebo and vested interest must be taken into account. At this point nothing is certain, it would appear by intent.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

Removed by me until Harvey decides his product is complete and is ready to discuss it with the open market.

Last edited by lechnoid; 05-30-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Phil & Belha

Harvey,

I understand you have put a lot of work into the QC and I wish you every success with it. Would you mind sharing the technical details of exactly what it does and how it does it? So far we've discussed eliminating the torque control signal, but that could be done by cutting a single wire, so I'm sure the QC must do much more than that.

I honestly don't see any reason to keep the design secret because there are very few people here who could figure out how to build one themselves. We are all good mates here and nobody is going to steal the design. Even if somebody did, nobody here would buy a knocked-off copy on principle.

So, in terms of how it interacts with the TCU. Which of the TCU input/output signals does it read, which does it modify, in what way, and under what conditions.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 05-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

Removed by me until Harvey decides his product is complete and is ready to discuss it with the open market.

Last edited by lechnoid; 05-30-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
1st - thanks to WannaRace for providing the dyno plots of the before and after on one plot

2nd - I still don't understand why the dyno shop can't provide a HP/rpm and TQ/rpm plot. The mph on the x-axis is worthless, IMHO

3rd - Following the conversation up to this point and looking at the dyno plots, it really does just look like what is happening is a almost direct coupling (219 ~95% of 230) during shifts, with perhaps a more efficient coupling between shifts (?). The engine is definitely NOT making more power, we're just seeing a more efficient transfer to the wheels (?).

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

Last edited by lechnoid; 05-30-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
1st - thanks to WannaRace for providing the dyno plots of the before and after on one plot

2nd - I still don't understand why the dyno shop can't provide a HP/rpm and TQ/rpm plot. The mph on the x-axis is worthless, IMHO

3rd - Following the conversation up to this point and looking at the dyno plots, it really does just look like what is happening is a almost direct coupling (219 ~95% of 230) during shifts, with perhaps a more efficient coupling between shifts (?). The engine is definitely NOT making more power, we're just seeing a more efficient transfer to the wheels (?).

-Bill
Also thanks to Wannarace, it is important to supply evidence other than how it feels to support a product.

As I have been thinking a lot on it, it is because the engine is still spooling power (lack of torque control) between shifts. This spooled up rotating mass is then unloaded onto the t/c when the shift completes and thus the spike...

Tom
Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Care to share a test drive when it's installed?

I can swing by on the BMW. :-)
Of course!
I'm happy to be one of the guinea pigs. I'm already planning on a dyno day to test the tomyx intake, so this will be another one to throw in the mix.