Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: 11:1 CR Race/Street Engine build

Cheaper and easier to replace... Thats why I am going with the shims

Tom
Old 10-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Tom, now I know that you are after large diameter shims under bucket for your project, why is that? and why aren't you after smaller diameter lash caps?

Sorry for being a noob at this, but as far as I have seen on websites, no one has installed large diameter shims under bucket. Only lash caps exist for that purpose.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 10-04-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Tom, now I know that you are after large diameter shims under bucket for your project, why is that? and why aren't you after smalled diameter lash caps?

Sorry for being a noob at this, but as far as I have seen on websites, no one has installed large diameter shims under bucket. Only lash caps exist for that purpose.
I wanted lash caps at first... but there is simply not enough stem to do it

Tom
Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Maniac modifier

WEll, small update, I know it has been a while but I have been waiting what semmed a lifetime to get my shims done. Finally got them back, a number of them were cut too thick (which is OK i guess) and I am missing two.

So, I went ahead and polished the couple that I needed to modify further down to their specs and I have the LH head completely done. The RH is done except the 2 shims I am missing and will have to inquire about Monday.

The headers for the engine have been tacked up for the most part and will be seam welded this upcomming weekend along with the water manifold. I should also have my collector kits here in time for me to finish the headers and send them out to be ceramic coated. I have the pipes for the exhaust here too. Decided we want to use a dual 2.25"in/3.0"out cat for after the headers to run back to a 3" SS resonator then out to a split back to dual 2.25" to two bullet mufflers. I am having trouble finding the cat so there is a possibility we will be using two individual cats then into a 2-1 collector.

I am really spinning my wheels without having all these shims. With only two days a week to get work done on this engine along with many others, any hang up w/ parts is really killing progress

Tom
Old 11-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

another case of "Bill, trust your intuition and count the shims before shipping them to Tom"
What thicknesses are missing?
I'll call Sean on Monday morning....
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Maniac modifier

since I am still waiting on engine parts to show up to finish it off....

I have been working on the rest of the car

Before

After

Tom
Old 12-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Tom:
That's awesome. Can't wait to see it in person next weekend.
Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 12-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Ah, powdercoated goodness, Nevin's rear bar, and Whiteline lateral links!
(not to mention the upgraded diff bushings!). How much threaded length is left on either end of the center sections of the lateral links?
Are you going to box the longitudinal links?
-Bill
p.s. how much negative camber to you think we can get with the Whiteline pieces and still have a safe amount of thread engagement?
p.p.s nice to see that Dan's car is experiencing the same "rust impact" that RacerX did...gotta love that sea air (NOT!)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 12-13-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post

Tom
Tom did you replace any of the rubber bushings in the rear subframe? ( I mean the ones that the bolts go thru to hold the subframe into the body )
Is there a Nolethane replacement that can be used? Or would that be consided to hard?
Because one of the bushings on my subframe is badly cracked and in need of replacement. ( My SVX project is to be a rd legal track car eventually )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
-Bill
What part is the longitudinal links? Is it the part that goes from the bottom of the rear hub to the subframe?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 12-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Maniac modifier

The subframe bushings are non-serviceable. We had our powdercoated cook the non-coated subframe twice to make sure the bushings would not be damaged by the heat. Once we knew they would hold up we then went and had it coated in antique brass and then again with a clear finish which gives it the UBER gloss you don't really see that well in the pics.

Tom
Old 12-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Ah, powdercoated goodness, Nevin's rear bar, and Whiteline lateral links!
(not to mention the upgraded diff bushings!). How much threaded length is left on either end of the center sections of the lateral links?
-Bill
p.s. how much negative camber to you think we can get with the Whiteline pieces and still have a safe amount of thread engagement?
p.p.s nice to see that Dan's car is experiencing the same "rust impact" that RacerX did...gotta love that sea air (NOT!)
My arms got tired twisting the links to try and find the ends of the threads... You will run out of body clearance and axle length first. I will give an exact measurement when the other pair shows.

The car will be corner weighted, fully aligned, and dyno tuned before it ever gets back to Dan

Today: Front subframe, strut replacements(warrantee), brakes, camber/caster plates, control arms... fun stuff

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 12-14-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Installed

Front subframe, rack, new control arms, new fron koni inserts, new Kmac camber caster plates, New front wheel bearings with all new seals, removed dust covers from front brakes, new pads... I like playing hooky

Front end is just about done... Waiting on the new lateral links to show to finish off the rear and one more seal to do the last rear bearing. I can honestly say, the suspension in this car has gotten a lot more attention than I originally expected but it will look and perform exceedingly well which I am very excited about

Tom
Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Need to get a real front sway bar on that bad boy!

Nice work!

-Bill

My Locker
Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Maniac modifier

Oh and do not fret. our upgraded X-member will bet installed powder coated the same color as the rest of the subframes

Tom