Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
love the coil overs

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 10-21-2006, 05:03 PM

Registered SVX
Guys,

Some movement, but not much. Nearly finalised the wiring...damn there's some excess wires in this car.

A bunch of photos too.

Clutch pedal is different for us right-hand-drive folks. The clutch pedal goes through the main hole for the engine wiring loom. This will need relocation and some fiddling to sort.

The strut top photo is my new rear strut tops...exactly the same as GC8 WRX's (92-00 I think).

Notice the thickness of the DMS shaft...this is why I need them for rallying. HEAPS stronger and will not bend a shaft on a big jump.

The photo of the WRX column is the adaptor I needed to get it to fit. Did I tell you it was heaps lighter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch mount.jpg (153.2 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg Column adaptor.jpg (87.7 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg DMS3.jpg (108.7 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg Seat fitted.jpg (161.4 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg Strut top.jpg (102.4 KB, 661 views)
Old 10-21-2006, 05:05 PM

Registered SVX
This shows the clutch pedal from the other side. Need to fabricate a top mount for it...have MIG, will travel!

M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Three pedals.jpg (140.2 KB, 642 views)
Old 10-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Man, you guys have it easy when it comes to 3 pedals... Ever seen a LHD hydro assembly?? They are a mess!!. Well good luck and every looks awsome!!!

Tom
Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Matt,
Looks great! What are the specs on the DMS struts? (spring rates? adjustability on dampers? cost?)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-21-2006, 11:23 PM

Registered SVX
Bill,

DMS have 4 rebound and 16 bump adjustments.

The springs are 260lbs fronts and 225lbs rears. Similar specs to his current model STi stuff as apparently the weight balance is similar.

Matt
Old 10-22-2006, 04:29 PM

Yea, and the prices are (cover your nuts now) $3800 and change per set, not including shipping.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:31 PM

Registered SVX
I guess you get what you pay for?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Cough....Cough....wow...let me catch my breath here

Matt,
Are the struts a direct bolt in, or will you have to grind the SVX's hub like Dave and Ben had to get their Impreza struts to fit? Are the rear struts adjustable once they're bolted in (hope so!)? I'm curious about the spring rates, as they're roughly 100 lbs lower, front and rear, than what folks are running with their GC coil overs. Is this just a concession to the rally aspect of the application?

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-22-2006, 06:35 PM

Registered SVX
Bill,

These are made specifically for the SVX. The only change required is the factory SVX strut tops at the rear are not useable. However, a set of standard GC8 Impreza rear tops, or even the STI tops for the old shape WRX would work fine. I'm just using the rear tops as per my picture.

So, other than the rear top, they are a direct bolt in.

Adjustability is on all 4, so front and rear.

As to spring rates, I believe rallying has softer springs than tarmac, but am not 100% sure. These rates are recommended by Jamie who built them...they could change if they aren't working, but we won't know that until we do some testing.

Desertrunner (Anthony) also got a set for his road car...I believe the valving and spring rates may differ for his car than mine.

They are expensive, but they are top shelf stuff and most definitely are not something hacked apart to fit...they are custom made for the SVX specifically.

Matt
Old 10-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
I guess you get what you pay for?
Yes and no... There is a recent add running on US tv now about a sports drink called Powerade Option. To put this into context, it really depends on what you need. For street racing (auto-X and road courses) the Koni insert along with the Ground control coilvers is more than enough to work with. They allow for a the perfect riding situation. As soon as we can adapt the dual adjustables, perfection comes even closer to home. Ringing in a a low price of aprox $1100 USD these modifications may be "hacked" but they are more than enough to keep the car running top notch.

With that said however, I can completely understand the need for more in your situation, a rally suspension is much more demanding than tarmac and it also requires a much different setup. Your suspension is meeting your needs which is why the tall bill is worth paying. For a tarmac raced car, it would simply be foolish to adapt this suspension in place of the already efficient konis.

So, in closing I would agree that you get what you pay for. But I must also elaborate that paying for the top shelf is not a wise decision when well liquor will do just fine... Sorry for the bartender humor but the point I believe comes across clear.

Tom
Old 10-22-2006, 07:35 PM

Registered SVX
Tom,

You're entirely correct...these are required for my purposes...but would be potentially overkill in other applications.

There's a saying over here..."horses for courses"...meaning what is suitable for one person, may be unsuitable for another.

It's like PWR radiators, they'd be the best I'd reckon, and there are definitely cheaper alternatives, but for my needs, I'm happy to pay the $800.

M
Old 10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Maniac modifier

exactly why I do not recomend the PWR radiator to people looking simply for a replacement and why I tell people looking for an MT not to buy the overpriced 6mt unless you are making more power and plan on abusing it. Going straight to the top is not always the best route. I really like what you are doing with the car and I cannot wait to see how well this performs...

Tom
Old 10-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Horses for courses.

As Matt says, the spring rates suit the type of track that the car will run on. The actual spring rate has to be multiplied by the total strut travel. The rally car has to have a very soft initial rate to allow the wheels to keep traction on small bumps, but support the entire weight of the car over jumps, without bottoming the strut travel.

You can see by the way the spring is wound. It is progressively wound at each end, from tapered wire. This makes the rate very progressive, provides a supple ride, with a high total load.

The type of track that you all "auto cross" on is smooth and flat. No bumps at all, so the ideal set up is a very high spring rate, with very little strut travel. But if this set up is used on the 'real road', small bumps will have the car lose traction and skate across the road.

The standard suspension, is a low spring rate, with a long travel. Gives a supple ride, but can keep the car stable on high speed bumps, without getting out of shape.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
Got some bits and pieces today to start the manual conversion.

Also got a WRX steering column - half the weight of the SVX one. With a bit of encouragement and a bush (the outer part of the column is shorter, so needs a 20mm extension) it'll fit fine. They probably aren't a good road car swap as the "encouragement" needed might render the standard height adjustment a bit dodgy...but because it's a rally car, I don't really care about that stuff.

Matt
Greetings Matt,

Does this allow you to fit a quick rack to fix the rather low geared steering,
driver input being the most important consideration?

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!