Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quick tip for those that rebuild their engines: if you plan on reusing your water pump drop it in a bucket of water after unbolting it. This will keep the seal wet. I've seen a lot of pumps fail (leak) shortly after being reinstalled but never if kept wet.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Mike,
Yeah, guess I'll have to dust off the FSM
Damn, but that's a clean engine! Think I'll be printing this thread out in color to use once I start on my spare engine
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Just some dude.

Actually you were right. I checked in my fsm today and I was the one with the faulty memory. They don't match all the pistons and they do letter each bore. The journal measures are a row of #'s next to the letters. Now to answer your previous question correctly, although I agree with Tom that it doesn't matter, the #6 piston is a B the rest are A's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Mike,
Yeah, guess I'll have to dust off the FSM
Damn, but that's a clean engine! Think I'll be printing this thread out in color to use once I start on my spare engine
-Bill
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Just some dude.

While I'm still happy that I'm refreshing the bench engine and putting it in, it turns out the seal surfaces on the engine in my car weren't bad after all. I got the chance to take the timing belt and cam pulleys off when I was scavenging my very low miles water pump for the bench engine and all the front seals were bone dry. They were the only thing dry under the timing covers actually. The intake cam plugs were the cause of my oil leak. I wouldn't have guessed that those plugs could leak so much oil since they don't have any friction surfaces.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:41 AM
Just some dude.

Rumor has it that the faulty egr code only gets thrown when the egr gas temp sensor doesn't see heat when it wants to (only when the egr fails to open not when it fails to close). The stage 3 manifolds are designed to allow the egr system to remain under normal ecu control so that the egr temp sensor sees heat when it is supposed to; however, on my car I want to eliminate all the mess that makes up the egr.

To do this I bought some standard galvanized pipe fittings and made some nice clean plumbing to bring exhaust gas up from the egr outlet in the exhaust manifold and mount the egr temp sensor in a convenient place. 3/8 npt is just a little larger than the 16mm threads in the exhaust manifold so I was able to use a 3/8 elbown and recut the threads with a 16mm die. Into the elbow I put a 1/4 bushing, into which I put a 1/4 nipple, onto which I put a 1/4 elbow. I then tapped some 10mm threads inside of another 1/4 nipple to screw the egr temp sensor into and put that into the elbow.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Good idea, but the 92 motors don't have EGR temp sensors, so I guess you can just yank it and be happy I hope so at least

Tom
Old 06-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Just some dude.

The temp sensor is usually mounted in the corner of the intake manifold where the egr bolts up to the manifold. I've never seen a manifold without one. The harness connector is usually a very tight reach to get up to the temp sensor. It's an easier reach to get down to where I have mounted it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Good idea, but the 92 motors don't have EGR temp sensors, so I guess you can just yank it and be happy I hope so at least

Tom
Old 06-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Maniac modifier

I don't believe there are sensors on 92 engines thats all

Tom
Old 06-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Just some dude.

On the rear passenger corner of your intake manifold there is no sensor?

Quote:
I don't believe there are sensors on 92 engines thats all

Tom
Old 06-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Maniac modifier

I just double checked my spare motor and it is not there, I promise. The 92 wiring harness does not have the harness for it either. I had to swap harnesses when I replaced my 94's engine with a 92. The hole for it is there but it is plugged with a bolt

Tom
Old 06-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

How is the EGR flow distributed? Just wondering if the EGR suffers from carbon plugging.

Some engines (and one in particular that I work with daily) the EGR flow is so crucial to combustion temp that it will adversely affect the oil control rings on the pistons (coking/sticking) and actually cause connecting rod big end bearing damage (wrist pin binding causing issue at the other end) on one cylinder/piston. I replaced an engine two weeks ago (warranty) at 30k for rod knock as a result of insufficient EGR flow. Funny, they still flow enough to satisfy the monitor...

Some engines have EGR ports in each intake runner. Once a couple ports plug up it causes excessive flow at other ports and misfires result.

I was thinking if the SVX is also prone to plugging it could be a cause for the engine to be prone to case pressure issues - clogging the upside-down pcv valve, blowing oil past seals and gaskets, dipstick launching, etc.

Sorry, I didn't mean to take this off topic, I was just curious while you had access to see.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Maniac modifier

the EG33 doesn't flow anywhere. I dunno I was just thinking about it. The pickup comes from the manifold but where does it dump??

Tom
Old 06-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
strange - on both of my 92 motors there is EGR return flow to the passenger rear side of the intake manifold.
maybe I am confused - are you saying there is EGR return but no EGR temp sensor or that there is no EGR piping to the intake manifold? It would be interesting to know if some earlier 92's had no EGR return.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Maniac modifier

der.... Nevermind my statement about the flow, I am an idiot. But no there are no sensors on the 92 engine

Tom
Old 06-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
der.... Nevermind my statement about the flow, I am an idiot. But no there are no sensors on the 92 engine

Tom
The 95 Australian model that I have, has no EGR Temp sensor. Maybe they were just used on the later US emission version.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.