How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 06:15 PM

Installed

Got my radiator installed this week. Thanks to a lot of what was said in here, my mechanic had no problems and thought I would pass some of this on.

Shaving down the mounts to sit the radiator lower was a tremendously great idea!! Even with the off center cap not a scratch on the hood.

Second, placed an adapter to reduce the overflow line from the radiator. It's only about 3" long, but fits correctly on the tip that's there, and no having to push the line onto the nut.

Don't know how he adjusted it, but the fans sit properly, I can ask for more detail if anyone's intererested.

Slotted the top mounts a bit to sit the radiator up properly.

(I'll take some pics and post them here, new silicone hoses too, but stock black so nothing to look at. )

Finally, I don't race my car, so don't need the radiator that came out for a spare. If anyone's interested it's theirs for $25 and shipping. Just let me know.

Jonathan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Great Job Johnathan. Looks like some of us are going to have to pull our radiators to do the same jury rig.

It's been another week. Has anyone heard from PWR on the cap?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-07-2005, 07:18 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnthn_Sctt
Got my radiator installed this week. Thanks to a lot of what was said in here, my mechanic had no problems and thought I would pass some of this on.

Shaving down the mounts to sit the radiator lower was a tremendously great idea!! Even with the off center cap not a scratch on the hood.

Second, placed an adapter to reduce the overflow line from the radiator. It's only about 3" long, but fits correctly on the tip that's there, and no having to push the line onto the nut.

Don't know how he adjusted it, but the fans sit properly, I can ask for more detail if anyone's intererested.

(I'll take some pics and post them here, new silicone hoses too, but stock black so nothing to look at. )

Finally, I don't race my car, so don't need the radiator that came out for a spare. If anyone's interested it's theirs for $25 and shipping. Just let me know.

Jonathan

OOOOOOhhhh hey hey!!!! I'm interested in your Radiator!!! I really badly need one for my rebuild!!! Where are ya located??? Lets talk through PM

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-07-2005, 09:04 AM

Follow up pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnthn_Sctt

Jonathan
Here are some pics of the install, if anyone needs more detailed info let me know.

Also, some ad time for Dayle, New Underdrive pulley, Silicone Hoses (black), Optima Yellow Top battery direct wired to Alt. (Deep cycle because of the additional electronics I want to run. Cheap insurance)

Finally some bling bling for sale off another SVX:

17" Arelli rims with Kumho 225/45/zr 17 Ecsta Supra tires

Monty, Let's Make A Deal!!

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top Mount Right Filler Neck Adapter.jpg (59.0 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg Left Mount Silicone Hose.jpg (60.3 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (66.9 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg Arelli Rims 17 Inch.jpg (43.0 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg Kumho 225 45 zr 17 Ecsta Supra.jpg (38.7 KB, 461 views)

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:06 PM

I installed the new pwr radiator on sunday (4/3/05) with the same problems as everyone else. Not that big of an issue for me, I got used to aftermarket stuff like this while helping my dad on his various race car projects.

The reason for this post is to address an issue I have not yet seen discussed here. On Tuesday I blew the upper radiator hose. I figured this was no big deal because when I replaced the radiator I also did the ecutune stage 1 chip and a shift kit and had done some performance testing before and after. To blow the upper hose was not a big surprise for me. I grabbed another hose from the spare engine I have in the garage and threw it on, only to have it blow again this morning, after NO hard driving; in fact, only light city driving.

I am worried about two possibilities: hood/cap interference causing the overflow release in the cap to malfunction and/or not open properly, or that the pwr radiator caps, at 15psi, are set to open at greater than stock radiator pressure. (Anyone know what the stock caps open at?)

What I am hoping (and it is probably the case) is that the hoses I used were just old and ready to go. I did not overtighten the clamps, the hoses blew out in the lower/outside area a few inches off their exit from the block.

Has anyone else blown hoses as a direct result from this new radiator, or is it just my luck?

(I am very happy with the tranny cooler's abilities as well, there is a marked reduction in temp even during performance driving)

Last edited by nosefruit; 04-09-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Most of the installs have been with the new silicone hoses as well. Haven't heard of anyone else blowing hoses.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-09-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosefruit
I installed the new pwr radiator on sunday (4/3/05) with the same problems as everyone else. Not that big of an issue for me, I got used to aftermarket stuff like this while helping my dad on his various race car projects.

The reason for this post is to address an issue I have not yet seen discussed here. On Tuesday I blew the upper radiator hose. I figured this was no big deal because when I replaced the radiator I also did the ecutune stage 1 chip and a shift kit and had done some performance testing before and after. To blow the upper hose was not a big surprise for me. I grabbed another hose from the spare engine I have in the garage and threw it on, only to have it blow again this morning, after NO hard driving; in fact, only light city driving.

I am worried about two possibilities: hood/cap interference causing the overflow release in the cap to malfunction and/or not open properly, or that the pwr radiator caps, at 15psi, are set to open at greater than stock radiator pressure. (Anyone know what the stock caps open at?)

What I am hoping (and it is probably the case) is that the hoses I used were just old and ready to go. I did not overtighten the clamps, the hoses blew out in the lower/outside area a few inches off their exit from the block.

Has anyone else blown hoses as a direct result from this new radiator, or is it just my luck?

(I am very happy with the tranny cooler's abilities as well, there is a marked reduction in temp even during performance driving)
Huh!! Mine blew too. I thought it was just old myself, and never gave it a second thought. I used the one out of the '94 until my silicone hoses arrived. (Which came the next day or so.) The thought of there being any reason for the first one blowing never dawned on me. Just thought it was ready to go.

Did anyone else blow a hose?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Last edited by Electrophil; 04-09-2005 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add a sentence.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
did you blow your other rad? if so, could be leaking exhaust into the coolant putting too much pressure into the system hence the blowing of rads or hoses. Thats means blown head gasket. I know a guy running the stock hoses w/ the rad and they are fine.

Tom
Old 04-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Installed mine today.

Used a dremel on my old subaru radiator cap to cut one of the ears off. No rubbing on the hood once I cut it off.
No problems at all with the install. The overflow tube is a little small but I just used a tiny hose clamp instead of the factory clamp and it worked fine.

The capacity of this radiator is huge - I just kept pouring more and more water into it. Seemed like over 3 gallons but not sure what it was, one of the jugs started half full and I refilled one of them so I really didnt keep track of it.

Took a few hard laps around the block and saw no signs of leaking and didn't blow any hoses. Temp looks great. Rock solid at just below half gauge. It was about 78 degrees here today.
I'll take her for a long drive tomorrow and see what happens.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:50 PM

Temp Gauge?

Any chance you have a temp guage hooked up to your trans? If not would you be willing to try a temp strip? All indications are that the tranny should be running quite a bit cooler. What do ya think?
WGJ
Old 04-11-2005, 07:33 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I am not planning to use the radiator's cooler. I have 2 aftermarket coolers (one with electric fan) and an aftermarket filter with a temp gauge installed.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Does anyone know WHEN PWR is going to ship the new radiator caps to the people who bought the radiators?

Thanks.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to TheRightWingSVX
Any Radiators left?

My tank just cracked and am looking for one of these fancy custom radiators. Any idea if there are any left and how long they would take to get?
SmallCar Shift Kit
K&N
Iridium Spark Plugs
All Mobil 1 synthetic oils
Almost 160,000 miles and never ran better!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
I am not planning to use the radiator's cooler. I have 2 aftermarket coolers (one with electric fan) and an aftermarket filter with a temp gauge installed.
Whoa! An electric fan? Did you fabricate or is there a place where I can buy one?

Perfect for stop and go desert climates!!

Old 04-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWingSVX
My tank just cracked and am looking for one of these fancy custom radiators. Any idea if there are any left and how long they would take to get?
From the last word we got, they aren't selling anymore until they correct the discrepancies of their "performance product". They sold all 40 of their original testing "betas".