Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
A current description of the kit can be seen on our (our being my company's website; I'm the only person from ECUtune that converses on this forum) http://www.ecutune.com I think to get a good handle on the intake you'll have to go through the whole thread. There machining and fabrication of the seperate sections of the manifold were covered early on in the thread. The assembly of the manifold and the throttle body adaptor were towards the end. The Idle air control manifold and final bypass valve setup are even closer to the end--after mikecg's set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Tom or any others interested, I have been absent and have missed out on most of this, but am very interested in the project. With the thread so long and convoluted, at this stage it is a problem researching exactly the make up of the set up. Can you point me in the direction of a post which will assist with an OA description. I am particularly interested in the intake and throttle set up.

No panic, when you have the time.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:26 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
A current description of the kit can be seen on our (our being my company's website; I'm the only person from ECUtune that converses on this forum) http://www.ecutune.com I think to get a good handle on the intake you'll have to go through the whole thread. There machining and fabrication of the seperate sections of the manifold were covered early on in the thread. The assembly of the manifold and the throttle body adaptor were towards the end. The Idle air control manifold and final bypass valve setup are even closer to the end--after mikecg's set up.
Thanks a lot.

Even your brief run down indicates that the project has been tackled in a logical way. I did not realise that commercial interests were involved.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
the load scales for our application are whatever i set them to be. The stock load scales only cover the vacuum range.
Thanks. It all helps. I wish you had come up with this engine management sooner. It would have been a lot easier than the route I went with the Tec II system. Take care and good luck. Can't wait to see your track numbers.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Just some dude.

allright, I'm back. I got the shop cleaned up and set up more or less the way I want it to start welding manifolds. I got the supercharger pulled out of my car and Jay's manifold prepped and bolted to the bench engine for welding.

Last edited by longassname; 05-17-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
allright, I'm back. I got the shop cleaned up and set up more or less the way I want it to start welding manifolds. I got the supercharger pulled out of my car and Jay's manifold prepped and bolted to the bench engine for welding.

are those the two halfs of the manifold the OE peices? they look smoother and cleaner
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Just some dude.

That's just Jay's way of trying to kill me. He likes to paint his parts so that they give off fumes while I work on them.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Just some dude.

Duckie, have you done your exhaust yet? It's time to get working on it. You'll want to have your exhaust and spark plugs changed before you install the stage 3 system. The exhaust really needs to be a lot bigger. Since we're almost doubling the power we need to double the exhaust. You don't have to worry about all the stuff the naturally aspirated guys debate about either. For us it is simple. With the substantial valve overlap we have and manifold pressure anytime the accelerator pedal is pressed we are completely clearing the combustion chamber with a clean air charge; we don't have to worry about maintaining exhaust characteristics to do that. We just need to relieve the restriction.

My choice is new clean 2.25 dual pipes all the way from the exhaust manifolds with a magnaflow x pipe and a pair of dynomax superturbo mufflers. Going to dual 2.25 pipes doubles the flow of the tubing. The xpipe will prevent that annoying resonant sound, quiet the exhaust, and improve flow. The dynomax superturbo mufflers are a three chamber design with fiberglass matting which actually muffle and produce a sound I like while still flowing pretty good at 404 cfm each.

If you are going to use cats get a pair of monsters. If they aren't big enough for say a new c6 or z06 vette they aren't big enough for us.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
Ive got the spark plugs ready to go. I was just going to chop off all of my exaust temp. to handle the new power but if you think I actually need to fab something then I will save up.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:17 PM

Registered SVX
Michael, this all looks too good to be true!

I have not looked back in the thread to see what you have done in regard to compression ratio. One gimmic is to fit extra gaskets possibly with a solid shim between. Such an arrangement will alter the position of the inlet manifolds. Even if you are not using this method, it might be worth keeping this in mind in respect of possible future adjustments, effecting the position of the heads.

I am probably telling you how to suck eggs, in which case do not be offended. You are doing a great job and I am sure the results will be rewarding. Your approach is exactly along the lines I regard as best, for what that is worth

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Just some dude.

It's not an expensive system if you don't need cats. The mufflers and x pipe all together are $200. I would guesstimate the exhaust shop will charge you $150 to weld it up with 2.25 tubing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie
Ive got the spark plugs ready to go. I was just going to chop off all of my exaust temp. to handle the new power but if you think I actually need to fab something then I will save up.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Just some dude.

Trevor, there really isn't a need to lower the compression ratio. The shape of our combustion chamber is excellent. This has proved to allow us to run all the boost we want without needing to crack the engine open. I am going to rebuild the engine in my car and will use forged pistons with no dome and deepened, connected valve reliefs which will lower the compression but I'm not doing that because we need to in order to get the power we want. The mating surfaces on my crank and cams are worn so that all my front seals leak. I'm rebuilding the engine to refresh it and am only changing the pistons to support even higher amounts of boost because I'm rebuilding it anyway. I certainly wouldn't drop the compression ratio down into the 8's. I'll be keeping it in the low to mid 9's. I won't be shooting for a compression ratio; I'l be designing the piston to maintain optimum performance of the squish area and shape of the combustion chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Michael, this all looks too good to be true!

I have not looked back in the thread to see what you have done in regard to compression ratio. One gimmic is to fit extra gaskets possibly with a solid shim between. Such an arrangement will alter the position of the inlet manifolds. Even if you are not using this method, it might be worth keeping this in mind in respect of possible future adjustments, effecting the position of the heads.

I am probably telling you how to suck eggs, in which case do not be offended. You are doing a great job and I am sure the results will be rewarding. Your approach is exactly along the lines I regard as best, for what that is worth
Old 05-18-2006, 06:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Trevor, I'l be designing the piston to maintain optimum performance of the squish area and shape of the combustion chamber.
You are applying more time and money than I had appreciated. I like your reference to, "no dome and deepened, connected valve reliefs". This shows apptitude and knowledge of the sort off money saving short cuts I am used to. Pity that not many appreciate what an excellent engine is available to start with. It is clear that you do.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:39 PM

See I may or may not need cats depending on if I can get an address in fallon So i guess my question would be, for now would no exaust be better than stock?

Last edited by Duckie; 05-18-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Just some dude.

I don't think either of those are acceptable options. Just do the dual exhaust without cats. If you need cats come emissions time put them in then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie
See I may or may not need cats depending on if I can get an address in fallon So i guess my question would be, for now would no exaust be better than stock?
Old 05-20-2006, 06:26 AM

Ok sounds good