Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I have found one admission from you i.e. "Director of Sales & Marketing Systems Admin". Enough said.
:P hahahaha

i'm sorry, i couldn't resist the spewing forth the tea i was drinking as i read that comment.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
I thank our soldiers for my right to speak about my government.

I also would like a thanks from our soldiers for the paycheck they receive every month, benefits received from my daily contribution, and keeping the local infrastructure intact so that they have a place to come home to.

I would also like a thanks for keeping their parents or grandparents fed and pillboxes full with my monthly social security payment.

That is all.
As a retired military veteran, I would also like to thank Harry for that retirement check I get every month.

Oh! And my degree in Electrical Engineering. Thanks Dude!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 08-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Forgetful?

Quote:
I thank our soldiers for my right to speak about my government.

I also would like a thanks from our soldiers for the paycheck they receive every month, benefits received from my daily contribution, and keeping the local infrastructure intact so that they have a place to come home to.

I would also like a thanks for keeping their parents or grandparents fed and pillboxes full with my monthly social security payment.

That is all.
Soldiers pay taxes to include social security, also. Do you thank your employer for the check he gives you or do you feel like you earn it and maybe deserve a thank you from your employer for a job well done??

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 08-29-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Soldiers pay taxes also. Do you thank your employer for the check he gives you or do you feel like you earn it and maybe deserve a thank you from your employer for a job well done??

Lee
i thank my employer for giving me the opportunity to work in a great company and choosing me over the next joe over.

i've hired people in the past and i can easily fire them as well with replacements ready and willing. i could run up and tell the CEO that he should thank me and that his company wouldn't exist without my labor, but i think that i would be replaced very quicky with such a cocky and arrogant attitude.

soldiers paying tax is not my concern. take that up with your manager. i know without my money and the money of other 'civilians' and corporations, the soldiers wouldn't be able to pay their taxes now would they?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
As a retired military veteran, I would also like to thank Harry for that retirement check I get every month.

Oh! And my degree in Electrical Engineering. Thanks Dude!!
you are welcome and it is our pleasure. thank you for not cramming that crap down our throats that you're better than the rest of us 'civilians'.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Interesting and insightful commentary from Keith Olbermann
Quote:
The man who sees absolutes, where all other men see nuances and shades of meaning, is either a prophet, or a quack. Donald H. Rumsfeld is not a prophet. We end the countdown where we began, our #1 story. with a special comment on Mr. Rumsfeld’s remarkable speech to the American Legion yesterday. It demands the deep analysis - and the sober contemplation - of every American. For it did not merely serve to impugn the morality or intelligence - indeed, the loyalty - of the majority of Americans who oppose the transient occupants of the highest offices in the land; Worse, still, it credits those same transient occupants – our employees - with a total omniscience; total omniscience which neither common sense, nor this administration’s track record at home or abroad, suggests they deserve. Dissent and disagreement with government is the life’s blood of human freedom; And not merely because it is the first roadblock against the kind of tyranny the men Mr. Rumsfeld likes to think of as "his" troops still fight, this very evening, in Iraq. It is also essential. Because just every once in awhile… it is right - and the power to which it speaks, is wrong.

In a small irony, however, Mr. Rumsfeld’s speechwriter was adroit in invoking the memory of the appeasement of the Nazis. For, in their time, there was another government faced with true peril - with a growing evil - powerful and remorseless. That government, like Mr. Rumsfeld’s, had a monopoly on all the facts. It, too, had the secret information. It alone had the true picture of the threat. It too dismissed and insulted its critics in terms like Mr. Rumsfeld’s - questioning their intellect and their morality. That government was England’s, in the 1930’s. It knew Hitler posed no true threat to Europe, let alone to England. It knew Germany was not re-arming, in violation of all treaties and accords. It knew that the hard evidence it had received, which contradicted it’s own policies, it’s own conclusions - it’s own omniscience - needed to be dismissed. The English government of Neville Chamberlain already knew the truth. Most relevant of all - it "knew" that its staunchest critics needed to be marginalized and isolated. In fact, it portrayed the foremost of them as a blood-thirsty war-monger who was, if not truly senile – at best morally or intellectually confused. That critic’s name… was Winston Churchill. Sadly, we have no Winston Churchills evident among us this evening. We have only Donald Rumsfelds, demonizing disagreement, the way Neville Chamberlain demonized Winston Churchill. History - and 163 million pounds of Luftwaffe bombs over England - had taught us that all Mr. Chamberlain had was his certainty - and his own confusion. A confusion that suggested that the office can not only make the man, but that the office can also make the facts. Thus did Mr. Rumsfeld make an apt historical analogy excepting the fact that he has the battery plugged in backwards. His government, absolute and exclusive in its knowledge, is not the modern version of the one which stood up to the Nazis. It is the modern version of the government… of Neville Chamberlain.

But back to today’s Omniscient Ones. That about which Mr. Rumsfeld is confused is simply this: This is a Democracy. Still. Sometimes just barely. And as such, all voices count - not just his. Had he or his president perhaps proven any of their prior claims of omniscience - about Osama Bin Laden’s plans five years ago - about Saddam Hussein’s weapons four years ago - about Hurricane Katrina’s impact one year ago - we all might be able to swallow hard, and accept their omniscience as a bearable, even useful recipe, of fact, plus ego. But, to date, this government has proved little besides its own arrogance, and its own hubris. Mr. Rumsfeld is also personally confused, morally or intellectually, about his own standing in this matter. From Iraq to Katrina, to flu vaccine shortages, to the entire "Fog of Fear" which continues to envelope this nation - he, Mr. Bush, Mr. Cheney, and their cronies, have – inadvertently or intentionally - profited and benefited, both personally, and politically. And yet he can stand up in public, and question the morality and the intellect of those of us who dare ask just for the receipt for the Emporer’s New Clothes. In what country was Mr. Rumsfeld raised? As a child, of whose heroism did he read? On what side of the battle for freedom did he dream one day to fight? With what country has he confused… the United States of America?

The confusion we - as its citizens - must now address, is stark and forbidding. But variations of it have faced our forefathers, when men like Nixon and McCarthy and Curtis LeMay have darkened our skies and obscured our flag. Note - with hope in your heart - that those earlier Americans always found their way to the light and we can too. The confusion is about whether this Secretary of Defense, and this Administration, are in fact now accomplishing what they claim the terrorists seek: The destruction of our freedoms, the very ones for which the same veterans Mr. Rumsfeld addressed yesterday in Salt Lake City, so valiantly fought.

And about Mr. Rumsfeld’s other main assertion, that this country faces a "new type of fascism." As he was correct to remind us how a government that knew everything could get everything wrong, so too was he right when he said that - though probably not in the way he thought he meant it. This country faces a new type of fascism - indeed.

Although I presumptuously use his sign-off each night, in feeble tribute… I have utterly no claim to the words of the exemplary journalist Edward R. Murrow. But never in the trial of a thousand years of writing could come close to matching how he phrased a warning to an earlier generation of us, at a time when other politicians thought they (and they alone) knew everything, and branded those who disagreed, "confused" or "immoral." Thus forgive me for reading Murrow in full:

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty," he said, in 1954. "We must remember always that accusation is not proof, and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear - one, of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of un-reason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men; Not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate, and to defend causes that were - for the moment - unpopular."

And so, good night, and good luck.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 08-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Misses the Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
Yes, it is interesting, but Olbermann and you both seem to miss the point. The Democratic leaders are the Chamberlains of today and the Rumsfeld camp IS the Churchhill---whether you want to believe it or not.

Good, Old Olbermann---about as liberal as you will find on the tube.

Lee
Old 08-31-2006, 02:11 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
It irks me when people argue about how "This is a Democracy!"

The United States is not a Democracy, it is a Republic. In a Democracy, decisions are made directly by the people, in which the simple majority wins.

"...and to the Republic, for which it stands, one nation, [under God] with liberty and justice for all"

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
In terms of lying to the public, concealing and misrepresenting vital intelligence, being proved wrong in the court of subsequent events, smearing, libeling, and misquoting its opponents, all the time avoiding discussion of the true impacts of its incompetence, dishonesty and failed policies, I would definitely say the Bush administration is far more reminiscent of Chamberlain's established government than Winston Churchill's righteous opposition. The only similarity between Churchill and Bush is that they both advocated a strong military intervention. In the case of Bush, he had to lie, mispresent and defraud in order to justify invoking military action, just as Chamberlain had to do to justify witholding it.

It is really interesting to compare Bush's spin today on the Iraq war with his original justifications. His current spin could be characterized as "we are in this horrible mess and we have to stay the course, otherwise the results will be disastrous". There is little mention of the fact that he used a dishonest and misleading public relations campaign to convince the American people and the Congress to land this country in this disaster.

By the way, arguing against someone's position by calling him a "liberal" is no more legitimate than pursuing the opposite argument by calling someone supporting your position a "war-mongering, fascistic, fear-spreading, bully, with no sense of morals, completely without character, absolutely unworthy of citizenship in this country." I have borrowed some invective from Ann Coulter, here. Please note that I have not said that about you. My only insults in this forum have been directed against our illustrious president. But disregarding Olbermann's positions on other matters, I believe he has a legitimate point about the comparable misuse of public power by both the Bush and Chamberlain administrations to convince the public of the legitimacy of a course of action that had already been revealed by withheld intelligence to be indefensible.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I'm rather angry with the fact that Bush is content to compare the terrorists of today to the Nazi's during WWII and the Russians during the cold war. I would never put "Nazi" and "terrorist" in the same sentence because that's just entirely wrong. The nazi's had a country strong enough to control almost all of Europe and beyond. These piddly terrorists have enough power to run some planes into buildings. The Germans slaughtered 6 million Jews and these terrorists have killed maybe 6000 people. So, the Germans killed 1000x more people than these piddly terrorists have. How dare Bush compare terrorists to Germany in WWII.

How dare he compare them to the Russians in the cold war. The terrorists do not have so many nukes that they could destroy the world many times over, nor do they have a land area spanning thousands of miles.

It's very disturbing that he would be willing to crap on the memories of those who gave up their lives fighting a real enemy in the Axis powers. I bet those 300k who died during WWII are rolling in their graves.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
you are welcome and it is our pleasure. thank you for not cramming that crap down our throats that you're better than the rest of us 'civilians'.
I would never do that.

But I am still just sooooo better looking than you, and I've been much more successful with the ladies than you could ever dream of being.

And my SVX? Much fastah than urs!!1111!!!!1!1!!1

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
It irks me when people argue about how "This is a Democracy!"

The United States is not a Democracy, it is a Republic. In a Democracy, decisions are made directly by the people, in which the simple majority wins.

"...and to the Republic, for which it stands, one nation, [under God] with liberty and justice for all"
And McCarthyism threw that "under God" part in during the 50's as they campaigned on the evilness of the "Godless" Soviet Union. I wonder how many think it was there from the beginning? I wonder how many think it was put in there due to actual respect for religion? Oh yeah!! That Bush supporting group!

Old 09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Network Design Administrator

I just wanted to say thanks to all of the people who wanted this thread to end, and are now keeping it alive.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:50 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
I just wanted to say thanks to all of the people who wanted this thread to end, and are now keeping it alive.
I also want to say thanks to all of the people thanking all of the people for keeping this thread alive, for keeping this thread alive.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
I also want to say thanks to all of the people thanking all of the people for keeping this thread alive, for keeping this thread alive.
Me too!!11!!1!