Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Is today dyno day?
I'm excited to see some track results.
Today was supposed to be track day. I checked the forecast for Bradenton, FL and they called for scattered thunderstorms - hopefully Mike was able to get in a few passes.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-24-2006, 01:36 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I don't have timeslips for you yet but otherwise I have all good news.

1st Beav pm'ed me the other day to let me know that he has a much better way of lowering the engine than getting into the motor mounts. The motor mounts bolt to the subframe and the subframe can be lowered by inserting some washers on the two main front bolts between the frame and subframe. Apparantly he's been doing this to correct what he considers to be a bad angle on the cv joints of the cars from the factory. I did it myself on my car and it worked very well and was very easy to do. Less than 5 minutes with an impact wrench.

2nd it turns out that the car likes much more timing at high loads than what is in the factory ignition table. As a quick refresher I'll post the graphs of the timing tables I'm talking about here. If you remember I had assumed the engine would want less timing under boost and rescaled the table and added a couple rows with less timing for the boost area. As you can see by the new timing map, with the rich afr we are running under boost the engine wants much more timing than either the map I had made or the factory map. I had done some trials earlier in the weekend with some maps with a little more timing and was incrementally improving performance. This map is not an incremental improvement, however, there is a night and day difference with this map. When i began running maps of this like performance became very impressive and tires became clouds of smoke.

old stage3 map

stock map

current timing map

3rd, I took the engine's desire for more timing as an indication that it can handle more boost. It seems Mike's prior problems with holding boost were caused by excessive exhaust restriction--he had all the factory cats. My car does not have cats; I did however have belt slip trying to run higher than 5 or 6 lbs of boost. Knowing that if I went to the big big crank pulley and matching power steering pulley that I would be able to return to having the idler between the power steering pulley and supercharger and taking the timing #'s I was seeing as an indication that the engine can handle more boost I went with the big crank pulley. I am now running 12 lbs and my only problem is traction. The pereli pzero nero m+s tires I have are great in the rain and last a long time but they just don't hook up. The way I've been smoking them I'm sure they won't continue to last a long time either.

4th, at 12 lbs I've found that the engine appreciates a very rich afr to cool down the combustion chamber. I have the last collumn of the fuel table which reads for 12 lbs running a 10 to 1 afr which worked better at 12 lbs than the 11 to 1 I had before. I've also revisited the enrichments now that I can tune under boost and set things the car cruises at an afr of 14.7 to 1 to regain fuel enconomy.

Things on my car are looking very solid now. It has resumed service as my daily driver and I will have both dyno plots and time slips soon.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:16 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
That is EXCELLENT news zomg. +

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:49 AM

Mike for the dumb Aus like me what do the different scales mean.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:10 AM
The brightest star: Alcyone

Send a message via AIM to Xevious Send a message via MSN to Xevious
12 pounds!! My question is, will it still be nearly as reliable as with the lower boost? I appreciate hp as much as anyone, but if I can't have it as my only car, I'd have to back away from this one. I don't want to turn the svx into a drag car.
Or, would it be possible to keep the lower boost and raise it whenever with the timing map??

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Xevious; 04-24-2006 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
I love the trird problem... the tires wont make traction... i say LET EM BURN!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
I love the trird problem... the tires wont make traction... i say LET EM BURN!
What's crazy is that Mike's running 245 or 255 wide tires on his test car!!!

Old 04-24-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
I am now running 12 lbs and my only problem is traction.
Mike,

By your calculations, at 12lbs of boost what's your estimated hp at the crank?

By my calculations, since atmospheric pressure is 1 bar = 14.696psi, and at sea level the EG33 makes 230hp at the crank, therefore:

(12/14.696) x 230hp = 187.81hp
187.81 + 230 = 417.81hp = new approx hp value

Earlier on in this thread, I remember you mentioned that even with the stock cams, peak power is still reached higher in the rpm band than 5,400rpms, so I realize the true 'value' will be higher than the estimate I've listed above.

-Chike

Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Mike,
Yow! Do you think the stock timing table was just a case of engine "self preservation" on the part of the Subaru engineers? Does this mean that you'll be putting out a 2v6 upgrade that will benefit those of us still in the na world?
Any luck yet running a Select Monitor in parallel to see what the engine is actually doing (actual timing once the engine closes the loop with the knock sensors)?
-Bill
p.s. your version of Cobb's AccessPort is going to be great, once you get a chance to catch your breath and actually work on it

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Just some dude.

OH, sorry.

vertical axis, 0-50 = degrees ignition advance from tdc
depth, s1-s16 = rpms from 400 to 6400
horizontal, 1-16 = load (not linearly scaled but covering the range from 20 lbs vacuum to 12 lbs boost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
Mike for the dumb Aus like me what do the different scales mean.
Tony
Old 04-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Just some dude.

I'm not forcing anyone to run 12 lbs. I already have pulleys machined to run 6 and 9. I'm going to give at least the 1st run customers the choice of which pulleys they want. I will probably do the same for the 2nd run. After I dyno the car and send MikeCG the software so that we have 2 cars performing well and running dependably I will begin taking 2nd batch orders. I believe the decision on which pulleys to make and stock for the long run is better left until after a good # of people have tried them and really know what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious
12 pounds!! My question is, will it still be nearly as reliable as with the lower boost? I appreciate hp as much as anyone, but if I can't have it as my only car, I'd have to back away from this one. I don't want to turn the svx into a drag car.
Or, would it be possible to keep the lower boost and raise it whenever with the timing map??

Keep up the good work!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:57 AM
The brightest star: Alcyone

Send a message via AIM to Xevious Send a message via MSN to Xevious
Quote:
I'm not forcing anyone to run 12 lbs. I already have pulleys machined to run 6 and 9. I'm going to give at least the 1st run customers the choice of which pulleys they want. I will probably do the same for the 2nd run. After I dyno the car and send MikeCG the software so that we have 2 cars performing well and running dependably I will begin taking 2nd batch orders. I believe the decision on which pulleys to make and stock for the long run is better left until after a good # of people have tried them and really know what they are talking about.

True enough, I haven't heard much from the turbo guys either. I'll take your word on it (since you are designing it after all). Thanks for dashing my concerns, and leaving it open to keep a lower boost if it does make a reliability difference.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
My plans are to switch back to the higher boost pulley. Thankfully I was a little slow sending LAN his stuff back (sorry Mike, I'll get it to you soon I promise). I'm getting the needed belts reordered and I'll have it running this weekend hopefully. If all goes really well I may even manage a 1/4 mile pass or two on Sunday. Who knows I may even take the tools and parts and make a pass with each pulley. I'd like to do dyno runs, but The nearest one that I can find is about 2+ hours away.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Just some dude.

By higher boost pulley he means the higher of the two which he has in his posession which is the 9 lb'er. So hopefully he should be able to show some results for the 9 lb set up and I'll show results for the 12 lb set up. I've scheduled dyno time for thursday which I intend to follow with a trip to Bradenton Motorsports Park that same night.

I'm packaging up my current software for him now and dropping it in the post tomorrow so that it's with is car for the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
My plans are to switch back to the higher boost pulley. Thankfully I was a little slow sending LAN his stuff back (sorry Mike, I'll get it to you soon I promise). I'm getting the needed belts reordered and I'll have it running this weekend hopefully. If all goes really well I may even manage a 1/4 mile pass or two on Sunday. Who knows I may even take the tools and parts and make a pass with each pulley. I'd like to do dyno runs, but The nearest one that I can find is about 2+ hours away.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:03 PM
THAWA

Quote:
1st Beav pm'ed me the other day to let me know that he has a much better way of lowering the engine than getting into the motor mounts. The motor mounts bolt to the subframe and the subframe can be lowered by inserting some washers on the two main front bolts between the frame and subframe. Apparantly he's been doing this to correct what he considers to be a bad angle on the cv joints of the cars from the factory. I did it myself on my car and it worked very well and was very easy to do. Less than 5 minutes with an impact wrench.
Be careful with this, as shimming the crossmember affects multiple aspects of the suspension, including bump steer and roll center. It also changes your alignment specs, so you may want to look into that too.