How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 12:03 AM

Cool

Thanks Steve. Maybe we can hookup when I drive up to Lake Elsinore to pick up my rad. Then I could see your install.
WGJ
Old 03-21-2005, 05:32 AM

Pwr

Yeah, that would be cool just let me know a couple days in advance.

Steve
Old 03-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Blacknite came over and we installed the PWR radiator yesterday. Same routine as every one else.

1: Full tight brings the cap almost perpendicular to the radiator.
2: Using the half stop, which is parallel, causes the cap to leak.
3: Radiator cap hits the hood
4: Hood must be forced to close if cap is tightened to where it doesn't leak.
5: Minor bending of tabs with a hammer to get things to fit right.

All in all...... As offensive as it may sound to some, this is NOT a performance drop in replacement radiator. Performance radiators don't come with leaks. You don't open the hood to a cloud of steam, and they certainly don't hit the hood of the car they were "specifically" designed for. You don't bend tabs or cut ears off of caps, or none of this foolery we are endulging in.

The ball was dropped on the design of these radiators, and we are paying the price. Whether the ball was dropped on communication when this height flaw was discovered, or the communication wasn't paid attention to, the ball was dropped. When Chris specifically said "It's hitting the hood", it should have been fixed in the 7 weeks we waited "after" Chris said it. "THAT" is why there are prototypes.!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-23-2005, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsvx
My sole purpose for buying this radiator was to gain the better built in cooler so I wouldn't have to worry about installing a separate cooler.
BTW, after I do finally get around to installing the new one, does anybody want to purchase my stock radiator, with only 43K miles on it?
So you were willing to spend $400+ for a radiator, but not $50 for an aux cooler?
Installing an aux cooler may not be necessary, but it is cheap insurance.

As for your old radiator, if you haven't already, contact Green Marine and see if he still needs one.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
odd

When I informed PWR about the clearance issue, I was assured that the offending ammount would be ground off the bottom of the filler neck before being welded on to the tank. This should have solved the issue.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 03-23-2005, 10:11 AM
radsvx

Anybody want the new radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
So you were willing to spend $400+ for a radiator, but not $50 for an aux cooler?
Installing an aux cooler may not be necessary, but it is cheap insurance.
At this point, with all the problems we're hearing about (fan and cap), I'd be happy to just keep my good stock radiator and go ahead with the aux cooler installation. With that said... does anybody want to buy my new aluminum radiator, which is still in its unopened box? $500 shipped! If not, I will see if I can return it to PWR.

~ Rad
Old 03-23-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
When I informed PWR about the clearance issue, I was assured that the offending ammount would be ground off the bottom of the filler neck before being welded on to the tank. This should have solved the issue.
They didn't do it Chris.. I compared the pictures you uploaded to what I received and it's obvious they didn't do anything. It's a disappointing mess.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:49 AM

Transmission fluid.

Now here's a brain buster.

After replacing the radiator, I warmed the car up, without driving it. I ran the car through all the gears, then checked the ATF. It was full!!

So I gingerly drove it down the block. (I am a tranny paranoid.) Came straight back, went through the gears, and checked again.

Still full....

I haven't put the shield back on, I reached under and felt the hoses. They are warm...

How about you guys? Did you have to replace any ATF? It looks like with a 5 pass, I would have lost something!! It may be Fiendly Subaru overfilled the tranny when they replaced the speedo gears last week. I surprisingly never got around to checking, but the shifting felt normal.

Old 03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
radsvx

Exclamation IMPORTANT!!! - Regarding radiator cap

Guys...

I just got off the phone with Josh at PWR. They were totally unaware of this issue with the radiator cap until today. Supposedly, only one other call was made about it. He is urging anyone who has already done the installation to call him and explain the details of the problem in detail. He said that his boss has instructed him to make sure that the probelm gets resolved. He suggested something about the possibility of testing different types of radiator caps and sending a replacement to all of us for free. So, you guys that have seen the problem first hand, please give him a call at 877-656-9256.

Thanks!
~ Rad
Old 03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
That's gona leave a mark.

I am not sure where you all are getting the information on the trans cooler for these new radiators But:

When I look at the one in mine with a small mirror, it looks like a tube to me.
Measuring the amount of fluid it holds comes out to ~5oz.
Certainly not in the stellar performance category.

You will need an Aux cooler if you want serious performance.

Anyone show anything different?

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue
Old 03-23-2005, 12:44 PM

How Annoying

Forwarded the link to this thread to Clint at PWR about a minute ago. Called first and he wasn't available so I explained what was up to Maria. Obviously PWR screwed up...what can or should they do to rectify the situation?
As for Electrophil's weird tranny fluid situation, it wouldn't suprise me if they did overfill the trans. If so, by how much and will it adversely effect the trans or will the additional fluid be an improvement? If overfilling is bad won't you have to drain and refill the correct amount? How annoying.
Of equal interest is, Electro, are you going to guage the tranny so you can track fluid temp? My understanding is that if fluid temps reach 240-250 degrees F you're in immenent danger of losing the trans.
Post those comments ASAP...Clint should be reading this shortly.
IRKED and NOT liking it,
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 03-23-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Not Happy

Likewise not happy. There are two (one mine and one my sons) sitting at my house not installed yet, but it is obvious that the cap tabs are not parallel to the radiator in the full tight position. No since to install them and have the hood problem until there is some solution. I have been looking for other design caps, but have had no luck so far in my small town. One that is 6 or 8 sided without the tab ears might work. I am watching with interest with the other potential problems.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-23-2005, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnsltd
I am not sure where you all are getting the information on the trans cooler for these new radiators But:

When I look at the one in mine with a small mirror, it looks like a tube to me.
Measuring the amount of fluid it holds comes out to ~5oz.
Certainly not in the stellar performance category.

You will need an Aux cooler if you want serious performance.

Anyone show anything different?

I wasn't exactly sure what 5oz was, so I measured it. Just above a half cup. That explains it, there isn't enough there to measure a difference on the stick.
If this is a 5 pass, those must be itty bitty tubes. Our old 1 pass held more than this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01080.JPG (38.9 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01084.JPG (46.6 KB, 442 views)

Old 03-23-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
Forwarded the link to this thread to Clint at PWR about a minute ago. Called first and he wasn't available so I explained what was up to Maria. Obviously PWR screwed up...what can or should they do to rectify the situation?
As for Electrophil's weird tranny fluid situation, it wouldn't suprise me if they did overfill the trans. If so, by how much and will it adversely effect the trans or will the additional fluid be an improvement? If overfilling is bad won't you have to drain and refill the correct amount? How annoying.
Of equal interest is, Electro, are you going to guage the tranny so you can track fluid temp? My understanding is that if fluid temps reach 240-250 degrees F you're in immenent danger of losing the trans.
Post those comments ASAP...Clint should be reading this shortly.
IRKED and NOT liking it,
WGJ
I don't have a temp guage for the tranny. Considering I drove the 94 here for 10 years of 120 degree summers... I "should" have one. But never did. The tranny in the 94 went on strike when the car had around... not making this up... 59,400 miles on it. Was covered under warranty, and I've only put less than 25k miles on it. I've only owned the 92 for a few weeks. I think I'll go tick off Dayle and try to get a deal on one. I hate messing with the interior with add ons. kinda like staying original as much as I can.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:55 PM

5oz!!! Say it ain't soooooooooo

If this is true I have no use for this rad even if the cap gets replaced.

I don't belive that the tranny fluid will bleed off heat fast enough during its short very short stay in the innerds of the rad. This is a deal breaker for me I think. I have no idea how fast the fluid travels thu the stock rad, or capacity of the tranny fluid section for eather rad. Where these compared at some point??? If not why not? Who should have done this or spec'ed out a larger capacity for the tranny fluid section?

I have no problem with my (original) tranny at 104k and I don't want any. I see no benefit to installing the PWR version if this 5oz capacity is less than the stock rad.

I was under the impression that 5 pass was the number of times both fluids were passed accross the rad. Thats five times what ssnsltd is alluding to. Perhaps I was/am mistaken in this...

I consider this a very very important issue. Much more so than the cap problem. I don't wish to call PWR myself, I feel one person should represent this group buy. If I must get involved in these issues directly with PWR I will, however, I will not be a happy camper.
1993 Subaru SVX (#006 01/93) 104k - To travel in style and grace.