How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 11:29 AM
radsvx

Purpose of external cooler with new radiator?

I am puzzled by some comments that you guys have made about still requiring an external ATF cooler with this new radiator. My sole purpose for buying this radiator was to gain the better built in cooler so I wouldn't have to worry about installing a separate cooler. My stock radiator is in excellent shape, with only 43,000 miles on it, and I was about to get a cooler installed but saw this radiator and jumped on the band wagan. Is there really a need to be so paranoid that even this new radiator will have problems with its internal ATF cooler?

BTW, after I do finally get around to installing the new one, does anybody want to purchase my stock radiator, with only 43K miles on it?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsvx
I am puzzled by some comments that you guys have made about still requiring an external ATF cooler with this new radiator. My sole purpose for buying this radiator was to gain the better built in cooler so I wouldn't have to worry about installing a separate cooler. My stock radiator is in excellent shape, with only 43,000 miles on it, and I was about to get a cooler installed but saw this radiator and jumped on the band wagan. Is there really a need to be so paranoid that even this new radiator will have problems with its internal ATF cooler?

BTW, after I do finally get around to installing the new one, does anybody want to purchase my stock radiator, with only 43K miles on it?
I was concerned about just the opposite. What will be the warm up time for the tranny? Those guys in the ultra cold climates: Will it ever warm up to a good temp in ultra cold weather?

As for buying the radiator.... First one on eBay gets the most!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-19-2005, 02:54 PM

So Many Questions!

And damned good ones too! My reason for getting the alum rad was the same as radsvx and I too am confused. Plus there's Electrophil's equally valid concern about the length of time it will take to properly warm the tranny fluid.
So what do you guys think?
WGJ
Old 03-19-2005, 03:02 PM

Used Oem Radiator

By the way...GreenMarine needs one ASAP.
WGJ
Old 03-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The tranny cooler tubes run through the coolant. Same as a stock radiator. It will warm up in the same way a stock radiator would - when the coolant reaches temperature it will begin to warm the tranny. What we don't know is how effective it will be at keeping the tranny cool.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:19 PM

Tranny As Heat Sink

In my area of the country there's no doubt the trans gets quite hot...I can feel it radiating (no pun intended) out from under the car. I take it that the only way to know empirically would be to install a temp gauge and get readings before hooking up the oil cooler and after. Anyone know the stock operating ranges? Or how much difference a properly installed cooler can make?
WGJ
Old 03-20-2005, 12:02 AM

Thermostat

The thermostat should control the temp, and actually the tranny fluid may warm up faster as it is contact with coolant longer.

Steve
Old 03-20-2005, 12:12 AM

Aux Cooler

Steve,
Further back in this thread (I think) someone with pretty good credentials urged installation of an aux cooler in addition to the one in the alum rads. Is that necessary and appropriate...you live in this area, what do you think?
All opinions/experiences are appreciated.
Thanx,
WGJ
Old 03-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Namaah

I dont know if im late on this comment or not. But my wondering about a external tranny cooler isnt about keeping the tranny cool anymore wit the new rad, its what am i going to do witht he old one. Should i put it on anyways as extra protection, since i have it or do i junk it??? Thats what was going through my head...
Old 03-20-2005, 09:37 AM

When all is said and done....

Are we going to have to make / adjust anything on the install?

If so, What? How?

Jonathan
Old 03-20-2005, 10:41 AM

Cooler

WGJ,
I have a fender mounted trans cooler in addition to my radiator. I haven't found a way I like extra gauges mounted in my car yet so I have no tranny gauge. I figure the more the better, especially on a long fast run to Vegas or something.

Steve
Old 03-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnthn_Sctt
Are we going to have to make / adjust anything on the install?

If so, What? How?

Jonathan
I installed mine yesterday, and just left the auxiliary cooler in place. The only "adjustment" required was the bending of the mounting tabs at the bottom to line up the fan mounting bolts. I really don't view this as a deal-breaker. If it becomes obvious that the cap must be trimmed I'll do that, also not a deal breaker. It looks gorgeous in the engine bay with the silicone hoses. Took nearly 2 gallons of coolant, and I took the opportunity to change out the trans filter and 6 qts of ATF. The old rad looks pretty damn good. Want? Need? Guess "want" won out this time around.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-20-2005, 09:32 PM

Rojo,
May I pester you for a few more details? How did you hookup the 5 pass in the new rad to the tranny? Is it spliced in line with the aux? How many lines can you attach to the tranny? And what's your response to my previous question?
Thanx,
WGJ
Old 03-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

2 pass vs 5 pass cooler???

Someone please explain this to me in different terms. I've always heard of oil coolers referred to in terms of their effectiveness (in BTU's) and rating (i.e. GVW application).

The stock cooler is a 2 pass. What does this mean in terms of BTU's or GVW rating? What about the 5 pass cooler???

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 03-20-2005, 10:05 PM

Coolers

I don't think they actually have a rating for the cooler. 5 pass just means the amount of tubing in the radiator for tranny cooling. The original is a 2 pass, so we should be getting 150% better cooling. WGJ, I just took my drivers side tranny line and routed it to my B&M, and then routed it from the B&M to the drivers side barb on the radiator, I needed a coupling barb to extend the line from the tranny to the B&M. It works great, and clean to.

Steve

Last edited by Hohopirates; 03-20-2005 at 10:09 PM.