SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 09:29 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Harry is addicted to buying cars and modding them

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-07-2004, 09:38 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

Will someone please make a turbo or supercharger that works well for our SVX...please?
It will happen, but it will cost more than most people are willing to pay. reaper's concept is not bad, and its been used successfully with other types of cars. He just cuts too many corners in an effort to save money.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:17 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
I highly reccamend you buy a book called "Turbocharger Theory" before you go any further on this. It will save you alot of time(and alot of everything). It is quite indepth an meticulous, but you can pull a lot out of it especially if your a first timer.
phil
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 AM
not just a fan, a Member!

one upon a time it was impossible to fit a 5spd tranny into a svx... (although it is still impossible to fit a 5spd tranny into my svx) so i say do what you have to do... if you fail, you fail, but you will learn from that experience.... if you succeed, then we all benefit from your efforts..... however, do take into account all the valuable advice from the experts around here.... it'll make your journey easier....
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 04-07-2004, 11:35 AM

I aggre, that the ct 26 would almost be perfect, and there only around $100 U.S. on ebay. I never heard of bearing failure running under 10 PSI, when ever i hear about it, its a person in a MK3 supra running over 15PSI.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
OK, I'll listen to what you all are saying. However, I'm notoriously stubborn and prone to learning the hard way, so I can't promise I'll actually take it to heart. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what you all have to say, so long as its not flat out negative and relatively baseless (you should know who you are, if not I'm sure someone can clue you in), I'm just like that. I'll look more into the turbo, you may be right about it, I'm not entirely sure. I'm mostly focusing on the compressor side of it as a result of previously focusing only on the idea of a centrifugal supercharger, I'm still trying to fully open myself up to the idea of a turbo. I spent a long time arguing with the same friend who's advising me now about turbos not being ideal on this car, but after seeing the price of the supercharger I wanted to use (Rotrex unit, $1500 minimum just for the supercharger), and seeing what longassname's kit was going to cost, I decided maybe I should consider the alternative. And that brings us to this, the result of someone basically telling me I'm full of **** and can't do what I say for the price I say. My goal here is to prove my theory, that's all, if something decent comes out of it all the better, and I might even try my hand at selling it.

And in case the message didn't come through clear, I'd appreciate it if those of you who are posting here simply because you don't like me or what I'm doing, please go back where you came from, I don't need it. Those of you with real information, please stay, I obviously need it even if I act like I don't.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Listen, we are not trying to put you down, i might have been an ass but im just trying to tell you, if you try to design a custom kit without the know how you will end up waisting a lot of time and money. Just a fair warning, many have tried and only some have suceeded with thousands spent
Old 04-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by subafan
one upon a time it was impossible to fit a 5spd tranny into a svx... (although it is still impossible to fit a 5spd tranny into my svx) so i say do what you have to do... if you fail, you fail, but you will learn from that experience.... if you succeed, then we all benefit from your efforts..... however, do take into account all the valuable advice from the experts around here.... it'll make your journey easier....
words of wisdom from the great subafan .

and tomsvx's right. we don't want you to burn a hole in your pocket . just think about the suggestions..if you think they maybe on to something, listen to it, if you think they aren't then don't...but remember this, if you didn't listen and then you make that booboo, someone's going to say,

'i told you so.'

just a heads up
Old 04-07-2004, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
I'm used to it, believe me, but its just the way I am. Being stubborn is just my way, and its cost me plenty, and will continue to as long as I live. I also react strongly to being called a liar, and that's gotten me in trouble plenty too, but I'd rather try and prove my accusers wrong than let my reputation take a hit unnecessarily. Orignally I was going to do that by assembling a part and price list for this setup, but apparently that won't be enough, so I'm going to have to at least try and go all the way and actually try and build it. Hey, you never know, I might get lucky and get it right, it probably wouldn't be the first tiime.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:20 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

words of wisdom from the great subafan .

just a heads up
yup.... i'm all talk and no action.... especially when you put 'action' to modding the svx... it usually ends up being a bill that i can live without.....

i learned my lesson the hard way......
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 04-18-2004, 02:39 AM
no limitation as limitation

intresting no2 and turbo setup

my friend just put a nitrus kit on his sti that sut off when the turbo spooled up. i thought it was cool. safe way to have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:30 PM

Re: intresting no2 and turbo setup

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewmongan
my friend just put a nitrus kit on his sti that sut off when the turbo spooled up. i thought it was cool. safe way to have the best of both worlds.
I dident think there was really a need for that on a stock STI. I thought STI had very little tuebo lag, 2800 RPMS and the turbo was almost making full boast. Does your freind plan on putting on a diffrent turbo?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Porter

As someone who has put forced induction on more than one naturally aspirated 10:1 compression Subaru, I can say without a doubt that an SVX motor would do very nicely at ~6psi on pump gas, as long as it was tuned properly.

Ah... there's the rub. TUNING. The magic element that makes all the craziness possible. Yes, it is possible to run 12psi into 10:1 compression on pump gas in a Subaru motor. It requires a lot of tuning, way beyond what a stock ECU can provide. I've driven such a car... it was like making it with the prom queen. Amazing. That particular vehicle had an Electromotive TEC-II engine management system and was tuned by Shiv Pathak at Vishnu. It is STILL running 12 psi into 10:1 compression, three years and 40,000 miles later.

On the other end of the spectrum, there is a Subaru motor in Texas making 712hp at 14psi out of 2.4L of displacement. I've seen the dyno graphs. It drinks several liters of fuel a minute, but you have to pay to play. I think that motor cost upwards of $20,000 to build and tune.

Thankfully, I have a 4 wheel dyno at work and we do ECUtek tuning, so we can fix just about any tuning problem that exists on a Subaru turbo motor. Too bad it doesn't work on the SVX ECU... I'd be all over it. I think an SAFC-II is in my future.

Anyway, I just thought I would stick my head in on this thread... hello everybody. I'm waiting to see if longassname actually comes forth with details on what's been remapped in his mysterious "sport chip". Hmmm...

By the way, another good read is "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. I recommend it highly.

-Porter

P.S. - good comments in this thread, Dayle. Way to represent.

Last edited by Porter; 04-19-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Porter

I'd just like to add a comment as well....

12psi out of a low CFM turbocharger is NOT the same thing as 12psi out of a high CFM turbocharger. They are VERY DIFFERENT BEASTS.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:13 PM
JarodSvx

Just a thought on the matter.. Yes turbocharging a svx is difficult task even with all the right equipment, yes supercharging a svx is difficult.. Now just a thought.. Both kits are running 1500 and above.. It seems to me that alot fo custom n/a building can be done for a similar price.. I was quoted around 800 for head work on my svx granted the gains aren't as much.. nor the feel when a turbo spoils up as powerful but alot of time it much easier to build from the base of the building that try adding 6 other floors too it.. Now say this.. both kits are looking for about 320ish in gain.. 90 horsepower isn't that large of a gap when u start considering intake.. exhaust, headwork, spark management ecu tunning and building out the lower end.. Just imagin a svx with 320 horsepower on a n/a build and building it to take a 125 shot of nos.. U start talking about a 12 second car if not way better.. I"m trying to be conservative here.. But there are lots of other directions which should be looked into before taking on projects as difficult as a turbo or supercharger setup..

just my two cents..
Not trying to step on toes here..

Jarod