Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 01:50 AM

It's funny we are discussing this here. It was ont he cover of the Stars and Stripes here today and I read several article on the internet about it.

I think it is disturbing that many Americans don't care to try and help these people change thier way of thinking. And don't tell me they don't want to change. I already know that those who are in power and have a voice do not want to change. You would be suprised that alot do want change but do not have th courage to standup for themselves. Would you want to stand up if your family and friends might be killed, mutilates, raped or disgraced? That is a difficult decision to make.

And don't tell me I don't know what I am talkign about either. My cousin is married to and Iranian and I have several friends in muslim countries. People would like change. They just need someone to help enbolden them so they will stand up for themselves.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.anderson
And don't tell me I don't know what I am talkign about either. My cousin is married to and Iranian and I have several friends in muslim countries. People would like change. They just need someone to help enbolden them so they will stand up for themselves.
It is rather they love to change, want to change, know their religion is based on false grounds, but they cannot do anything about it because it is set in their Shari'a and they are STUCK with it.

no one can help them out, unless the Muslim Sheikhs dramatically change their concepts...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
It is rather they love to change, want to change, know their religion is based on false grounds, but they cannot do anything about it because it is set in their Shari'a and they are STUCK with it.

no one can help them out, unless the Muslim Sheikhs dramatically change their concepts...
So are you saying it is not worth trying to help...
Old 03-27-2006, 05:49 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
So are you saying it is not worth trying to help...
Nope. Their Qu'oran says so... no way to change unless they undertake Christianity

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:20 AM
Bipa

Quote:
It's funny we are discussing this here. It was ont he cover of the Stars and Stripes here today and I read several article on the internet about it.
I searched for that article in the online edition of Stars and Stripes, but just keep getting AP news stories. Nothing really new there, unless the print edition you have is different? Could be.

Mar 24, 1:42 PM EST
U.S. Christians outraged over Afghan trial
By PETER JAMES SPIELMANN
Associated Press Writer
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-24-13-42-45

Mar 27, 4:57 AM EST
Afghans protest ruling in convert case
By DANIEL COONEY
Associated Press Writer
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-27-04-57-16

Quote:
I think it is disturbing that many Americans don't care to try and help these people change thier way of thinking. And don't tell me they don't want to change. I already know that those who are in power and have a voice do not want to change. You would be suprised that alot do want change but do not have th courage to standup for themselves. Would you want to stand up if your family and friends might be killed, mutilates, raped or disgraced? That is a difficult decision to make.

There is often (usually!) a real disconnect between ordinary folks and their politicians and religious leaders. Rarely does a "leader" have to worry about putting food on the table, or meeting next month's utility bills. The "leaders" also have a tendency to fall into the trap of thinking they are superior than the average "Joe" and know what is best for everyone. I'm not just talking about Afghanistan here - it is a pretty universal trait found among the leadership members of every country and religion.

Combining politics with religion is always a disaster. Religion is at its essence a matter of faith. Politics is, or should be, more a matter of pragmatism and practicality. Can you imagine making economic decisions based solely on faith with no real data to back it up? Ooops... sorry... don't have to imagine, just look at the various 5 and 10 year plans of the former Soviet Union. That was a prime example of political control based on faith (in this case the utopian theories of Marx and Lenin). Didn't work out very well, eh?

Religion is more exclusive since it only applies to its own "club members", while politics must be inclusive because everyone is affected, regardless of their beliefs. We've learned throughout history that society breaks down when people are excluded from actively participating in government. That runs contrary to democracy. Yet in Afghanistan, the Judicial Branch of the government is being run by Muslim Clerics. Their faith is playing the paramount role in their interpretation of the Constitution. Thus civil and criminal laws are based on faith rather than prudence. So there is no "prudence" in Afghani "jurisprudence".

Back to the average Joe, worried about those basics of food, housing, raising kids etc. Andrew, you are completely right! Joe hasn't the time nor energy to worry about high-falutin' stuff like human rights and freedoms. He just wants to avoid being arrested and getting into trouble with the authorities. Given the clear set of rules that Islam provides, Joe knows exactly what is expected of him. As long as he goes along and seemingly plays by those rules, he and his family have one less thing to worry about. Why go out looking for trouble when you already have enough trouble in your daily life?

Your mention of Iranians brings back some funny memories. Back in Switzerland about 5 years ago, a group of Iranian textile technicians came over for some training and seminars. The women stepped off the plane in Zurich, shed their black outerwear and revealed skimpy tops and extremely short skirts and high heels . The change in the men wasn't as drastic, although most enjoyed sampling local beers and wines.

These folks were educated, typical middle class. They revelled in the freedom of the west, and took full advantage of the opportunity to express their individuality. Yet as soon as it came time to board the plane back home, the women covered up, the men got more serious, and playtime was over. They were returning to their own reality, where it doesn't matter what you believe inside as long as you conform to the outward requirements.

On several occasions, I've asked Arab refugees here in Europe if change is possible. Mostly they told me the same thing. Unless there is a coming of a second "Mohammed" who can enforce change, some extra-ordinary individual who is accepted as a real Prophet, then Islam will never change.

---------------------------------------------------------
Here's a funny example (to me, at least) of how some more moderate Islamic Clerics are trying to reconcile their beliefs with a modern technological world.

Question :

I would like to know if it is permissable to send my family a picture of my baby since I live in Canada and they live in Saudia Arabia, I know that it is forbidden to take pictures but I will not be taking excpet this one picture for the purpose of sending it to my parents and family.
Jazakumullahu Kyran<

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Whilst we appreciate the emotional attachment and feelings that your family has, the situation that you describe does not justify your breaking the prohibition on taking pictures, so long as these pictures are printed, drawn or engraved, as we have already stated in question # 365. Some scholars allow impermanent pictures which do not last, such as pictures stored in a computer’s memory which appear in the screen and then disappear. If the problem can be solved by storing the picture (in .jpg format, then sending it via the Internet, so the picture is not permanent), then this is permitted according to some scholars.

We would also like to point out that true memories reside in the heart, and that many generations of mankind have come and gone who felt love for one another and did good to one another, and a grandfather would love and pray for his grandchild without ever seeing him. May Allaah reward you with good for your question.

(taken from an extremely interesting web site called Islam Q & A)
http://www.islam-qa.com/
"This site aims to provide intelligent, authoritative responses to anyones question about Islam, whether it be from a Muslim or a non-Muslim, and to help solve general and personal social problems. Responses are composed by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid, a known Islamic lecturer and author. Questions about any topic are welcome, such as theology, worship, human and business relations, or social and personal issues."

Shaykh Muhammad Saalih al-Munajid was born on 30/12/1381 AH. He completed his elementary, middle and secondary schooling in Riyaadh, and completed his university studies in al-Dahran, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Bipa

Well, looks like nobody is getting a good night's sleep in Afghanistan... not the Christian convert, nor the soldiers in Kandahar....

March 28, 2006

Afghan Christian freed
Threatened with death, Muslim man who changed religions now in hiding
By AP and CP

KABUL (AP-CP) — An Afghan man who had faced the death penalty for abandoning Islam for Christianity was freed from prison and went into hiding yesterday in Kabul after Muslim clerics threatened his life. Italy said it may grant him asylum.

Abdul Rahman, 41, was released from the high-security Policharki prison on the outskirts of the capital late Monday after a court dropped charges of apostasy against him for lack of evidence and suspected mental illness. President Hamid Karzai had been under heavy international pressure to drop the case.

Muslim clerics condemned Rahman’s release, saying it was a “betrayal of Islam.” They threatened to incite violent protests.

Justice Minister Mohammed Sarwar Danish said Rahman was staying at a “safe location” in Kabul. He has appealed to leave Afghanistan and the United Nations said it has been working to find a country willing to take him.

The Italian government said Foreign Minister Gianfranco Fini will use a cabinet meeting today to press for Rahman to be granted asylum there. Fini had earlier expressed Italy’s “indignation“ over the case and Pope Benedict had appealed to Karzai to protect Rahman.

Italy has close ties with Afghanistan, whose former king, Mohammed Zaher Shah, was allowed to live with his family in exile in Rome for 30 years. The family returned to Kabul after the fall of the Taliban regime in 2001.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 28, 2006

Mortar shells jolt Canucks from beds
By CP

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- Canadian and coalition soldiers at the Kandahar airfield were rattled out of bed early today by what was believed to be a mortar attack.

Three explosions occurred in a remote part of the base, north of the main runway, around 3:15 a.m. local time, said an army spokesman.

There was no word on casualties, but Maj. Scott Lundy said a head count is taking place to make sure no one was hurt.

"I would just say it's a very remote area of the airfield, away from the main lodging areas," he said at a hastily called briefing for reporters.

"There's no damage to aircraft, but it's still early going. Camp security guys are carrying on with the investigation."

Lundy said the explosions were believed to be mortar rounds.

There are 2,200 Canadian troops and support staff at the base, along with roughly 6,000 other coalition soldiers, including American, British, Dutch and French troops.

The three successive blasts forced everyone to scramble for concrete bunkers, which are situated around the camp.

The base remained under lockdown for just under an hour before a loudspeaker blared the all-clear.

Since mortars have an effective range of only 5,700 metres, U.S. helicopter gunships were scrambled to see if they could spot anyone moving in the surrounding desert or hills. It remains unclear whether any insurgents were spotted, he said.

The main Canadian battle group was deployed to southern Afghanistan in early February.

Since then, a variety of incidents have left three soldiers dead and 25 injured.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
I searched for that article in the online edition of Stars and Stripes, but just keep getting AP news stories. Nothing really new there, unless the print edition you have is different? Could be.

Mar 24, 1:42 PM EST
U.S. Christians outraged over Afghan trial
By PETER JAMES SPIELMANN
Associated Press Writer
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-24-13-42-45

Mar 27, 4:57 AM EST
Afghans protest ruling in convert case
By DANIEL COONEY
Associated Press Writer
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-27-04-57-16

There is often (usually!) a real disconnect between ordinary folks and their politicians and religious leaders. Rarely does a "leader" have to worry about putting food on the table, or meeting next month's utility bills. The "leaders" also have a tendency to fall into the trap of thinking they are superior than the average "Joe" and know what is best for everyone. I'm not just talking about Afghanistan here - it is a pretty universal trait found among the leadership members of every country and religion.

Combining politics with religion is always a disaster. Religion is at its essence a matter of faith. Politics is, or should be, more a matter of pragmatism and practicality. Can you imagine making economic decisions based solely on faith with no real data to back it up? Ooops... sorry... don't have to imagine, just look at the various 5 and 10 year plans of the former Soviet Union. That was a prime example of political control based on faith (in this case the utopian theories of Marx and Lenin). Didn't work out very well, eh?

Religion is more exclusive since it only applies to its own "club members", while politics must be inclusive because everyone is affected, regardless of their beliefs. We've learned throughout history that society breaks down when people are excluded from actively participating in government. That runs contrary to democracy. Yet in Afghanistan, the Judicial Branch of the government is being run by Muslim Clerics. Their faith is playing the paramount role in their interpretation of the Constitution. Thus civil and criminal laws are based on faith rather than prudence. So there is no "prudence" in Afghani "jurisprudence".

Back to the average Joe, worried about those basics of food, housing, raising kids etc. Andrew, you are completely right! Joe hasn't the time nor energy to worry about high-falutin' stuff like human rights and freedoms. He just wants to avoid being arrested and getting into trouble with the authorities. Given the clear set of rules that Islam provides, Joe knows exactly what is expected of him. As long as he goes along and seemingly plays by those rules, he and his family have one less thing to worry about. Why go out looking for trouble when you already have enough trouble in your daily life?

Your mention of Iranians brings back some funny memories. Back in Switzerland about 5 years ago, a group of Iranian textile technicians came over for some training and seminars. The women stepped off the plane in Zurich, shed their black outerwear and revealed skimpy tops and extremely short skirts and high heels . The change in the men wasn't as drastic, although most enjoyed sampling local beers and wines.

These folks were educated, typical middle class. They revelled in the freedom of the west, and took full advantage of the opportunity to express their individuality. Yet as soon as it came time to board the plane back home, the women covered up, the men got more serious, and playtime was over. They were returning to their own reality, where it doesn't matter what you believe inside as long as you conform to the outward requirements.

On several occasions, I've asked Arab refugees here in Europe if change is possible. Mostly they told me the same thing. Unless there is a coming of a second "Mohammed" who can enforce change, some extra-ordinary individual who is accepted as a real Prophet, then Islam will never change.

Here's a funny example (to me, at least) of how some more moderate Islamic Clerics are trying to reconcile their beliefs with a modern technological world.

Question :

I would like to know if it is permissable to send my family a picture of my baby since I live in Canada and they live in Saudia Arabia, I know that it is forbidden to take pictures but I will not be taking excpet this one picture for the purpose of sending it to my parents and family.
Jazakumullahu Kyran<

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Whilst we appreciate the emotional attachment and feelings that your family has, the situation that you describe does not justify your breaking the prohibition on taking pictures, so long as these pictures are printed, drawn or engraved, as we have already stated in question # 365. Some scholars allow impermanent pictures which do not last, such as pictures stored in a computer’s memory which appear in the screen and then disappear. If the problem can be solved by storing the picture (in .jpg format, then sending it via the Internet, so the picture is not permanent), then this is permitted according to some scholars.

We would also like to point out that true memories reside in the heart, and that many generations of mankind have come and gone who felt love for one another and did good to one another, and a grandfather would love and pray for his grandchild without ever seeing him. May Allaah reward you with good for your question.

(taken from an extremely interesting web site called Islam Q & A)
http://www.islam-qa.com/
"This site aims to provide intelligent, authoritative responses to anyones question about Islam, whether it be from a Muslim or a non-Muslim, and to help solve general and personal social problems. Responses are composed by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid, a known Islamic lecturer and author. Questions about any topic are welcome, such as theology, worship, human and business relations, or social and personal issues."

Shaykh Muhammad Saalih al-Munajid was born on 30/12/1381 AH. He completed his elementary, middle and secondary schooling in Riyaadh, and completed his university studies in al-Dahran, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

It was the Mideast edition.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Bipa

Quote:
It was the Mideast edition.
Ehh..... must be my blond dumbness coming out

Found copies of the last 7 days of the actual print editions here:
http://estripes.osd.mil/index.php?ar...09645088238789

Current editions are here:
http://estripes.osd.mil/

I had been looking at the electronic version which is a sort of mish-mash of the European, Mideast and Pacific editions. But it ends up being an AP story after all. Oh, well... here it is if anyone is interested in seeing what the troops on the front lines are reading.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Bipa

Gosh dang it, the Afghanis still don't get it!
He's been offered asylum officially in Italy, but now there's a question about whether he will be allowed to leave the country.

Don't you just love this quote? Abdulrahman Jan, the top cleric in Zabul province, said: "... the government should either force Rahman to convert back to Islam or kill him. "

There is an often quoted verse of the Quran that goes:
“There is no compulsion in religion”
[al-Baqarah 2:256]

But according to the web site Islam Q&A, this verse is subsequently abrogated by Allaah’s command to fight and wage jihad:

“And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism, i.e. worshipping others besides Allaah), and the religion (worship) will all be for Allaah Alone [in the whole of the world]”

[al-Anfaal 8:39]

Question #34770: There is no compulsion to accept Islam
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ds=qa...0&dgn=4&ln=eng

March 29, 2006

Afghan lawmakers: Don't let convert go

KABUL (AP) - Afghanistan's parliament demanded Wednesday that the government prevent a man who faced the death penalty for converting to Christianity from being able to flee the country.

Abdul Rahman, 41, was released from prison Monday after a court dropped charges of apostasy against him because of a lack of evidence and suspicions he may be mentally ill. President Hamid Karzai had been under heavy international pressure to drop the case.

Rahman was released from the high-security Policharki prison on the outskirts of the capital late Monday. Justice Minister Mohammed Sarwar Danish said Tuesday that Rahman was staying at a "safe location" in Kabul.

His current whereabouts are unknown but he likely is still in the country.

The Italian government granted asylum to Rahman after Muslim clerics called for his death.

Afghan legislators debated the issue Wednesday and said Rahman should not be allowed to leave the country. However, they did not take a formal vote on the issue.

"We sent a letter and called the Interior Ministry and demanded they not allow Abdul Rahman to leave the country," parliamentary speaker Yunus Qanooni told reporters on behalf of the entire body.

Interior Ministry officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Rahman was put on trial last week for converting 16 years ago while he was a medical aid worker for an international Christian group helping Afghan refugees in Pakistan. He was carrying a Bible when arrested and faced the death penalty under Afghanistan's Islamic laws.

The case caused an outcry in western countries that helped oust the hard-line Taliban regime in 2001-2002 and provide aid and military support for Karzai.

Muslim clerics condemned Rahman's release, saying it was a "betrayal of Islam," and threatened to incite violent protests.

Some 500 Muslim leaders, students and others gathered Wednesday in a mosque in southern Qalat town and criticized the government for releasing Rahman, said Abdulrahman Jan, the top cleric in Zabul province.

He said the government should either force Rahman to convert back to Islam or kill him.

"This is a terrible thing and a major shame for Afghanistan," he said.

Rahman has appealed to leave Afghanistan, and the United Nations has been working to find a country willing to take him.

Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi said Rome would be happy to give asylum to Rahman. His cabinet granted asylum later Wednesday.

"I say that we are very glad to be able to welcome someone who has been so courageous," Berlusconi said.

Italy has close ties with Afghanistan, whose former king, Mohammed Zaher Shah, was allowed to live in exile in Rome with his family for 30 years. The former royals returned to Kabul after the Taliban fell.

The United States and Germany welcomed Rahman's release from prison.

"Obviously it's good news that he has been released," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

Germany, a major donor to Afghanistan that has about 2,000 troops in the NATO security force, also expressed satisfaction.

"I think this is a sensible signal to the international community but also for the situation in Afghanistan," German Chancellor Angela Merkel said.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Gosh dang it, the Afghanis still don't get it!
He's been offered asylum officially in Italy, but now there's a question about whether he will be allowed to leave the country.

Don't you just love this quote? Abdulrahman Jan, the top cleric in Zabul province, said: "... the government should either force Rahman to convert back to Islam or kill him. "

There is an often quoted verse of the Quran that goes:
“There is no compulsion in religion”
[al-Baqarah 2:256]

But according to the web site Islam Q&A, this verse is subsequently abrogated by Allaah’s command to fight and wage jihad:

“And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism, i.e. worshipping others besides Allaah), and the religion (worship) will all be for Allaah Alone [in the whole of the world]”

[al-Anfaal 8:39]

Heathens! And I mean that with ZERO humor.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Bipa

It's Spring, it's Spring, and bullets fly on the wing.....

Not just the bugs are crawling out from under rocks, now that warmer weather is here

Old 03-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Bipa

Well, I'm happy to announce that Rahman managed to sneak out of Afghanistan and arrived safely in Italy on Wednesday.

"He is already in Italy," Berlusconi said, adding that Rahman, 41, was in the care of the Italian Interior Ministry.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/29/news/afghan.php
Old 03-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Excellent! Glad to hear it.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Could it be that Muslims started to modernize themselves?

Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Bipa

As we all know by now, the news we get sometimes comes nowhere close to the reality of what has occurred. Below I am posting two media stories about a death that happened in Afghanistan in December 2005. Then I follow up with an eye-witness account taken from the blog of a soldier who was there. The blog has now been suspended.

The first story, taken from WROC 8 in Rochester, stated "The army says enemy activity was not a factor." but goes on to say "...his Humvee went off the road and overturned near a roadside bomb."

The second version, an AP story, says the soldier "was killed in Afghanistan on Dec. 27 when a roadside bomb toppled a Humvee he was riding in."

The eye-witness account talks about the vehicle being cut off by a kind of tanker, and has no mention of any roadside bomb at all.

The truth? You be the judge.
__________________________________________________ ______________
21-year-old Hilton soldier dies in Afghanistan
12/30/2005 12:00 PM
(Joylynn Whitfield, WROC-TV)

A memorial service will be held in Afghanistan Saturday for the Hilton soldier who died this week while serving there.

21-year old Pfc.Jason Hhasenauer was killed when his armored vehicle flipped while on patrol near Kandahar.

The army says enemy activity was not a factor.

"It's a hard thing to lose someone, but he was doing what he wanted to do, to protect us," said Dan Hasenauer, Jason's father.

Pfc. Hasenauer was on a special mission in Afghanistan with Fort Bragg, North Carolina's 82nd Airborne when his Humvee went off the road and overturned near a roadside bomb.

"Jason was up in the machine gun pit and the truck rolled over on them and killed him right there," said Dan Hasenauer.

Dan and Rita Hasenauer, his mother, saw an army chaplain at the door earlier this week that they knew had bad news to share. Dan says he has had reoccurring nightmares foreshadowing his son's death.

"It's just hard to look at his picture, " he sighed, choking back tears.

"He always had a smile on his face, always willing to help," said Rita Hasenauer.

Just days ago, Jason saw his 1-month-old daughter for the first time, over an internet webcast Christmas day. Jason's girlfriend Colette and the Hasenauer family were looking forward to a wedding.

Flags fly at half staff in the Hasenhaurs' front yard and at the Hilton fire station, where Pfc. Hasenhaur had volunteered since he was 14.

"I know in this department we're not going to forget him. It's a hard thing to find someone to put himself forward. He'll always be appreciated around here and never forgotten, " said fellow firefighter Wayne Collins.

Hasenauer often called his father his hero and best friend, but his father says his son is the real hero for his service.

"We have to do this. Even though we loose our loved ones, we have to do this to keep our country free from terrorism," said Dan Hasenauer.

Private First Class Jason Hasenauer was sworn into the U.S. Army in April by his cousin.

Hasenhauer's first assignment was in Afghanistan. He'd been serving there for the past nine months.

Local funeral services are expected to be held late next week.

Soldier killed in Afghanistan was a father for just four weeks
The Associated Press, Jan. 7, 2006

HILTON, N.Y.

He was the eldest of four sons, a fresh-faced Army recruit, a father for just four weeks.

Pfc. Jason Hasenauer, 21, a former firefighter, was killed in Afghanistan on Dec. 27 when a roadside bomb toppled a Humvee he was riding in. He was laid to rest Saturday in a rural cemetery in western New York.

"Your tour of duty is ended, not only on this earth, not only in the military, not only in the fire department, but in life," the Rev. William Spilly said in a eulogy before hundreds of mourners.

"We wish you had been here longer but we thank God for the time God gave you to us. We will not forget you because we loved you."

Hasenauer was sitting in a machine-gun turret when the bomb explosion overturned his Humvee in Kandahar. He died of head injuries. Four other men in the vehicle were injured.

Assigned to the 82nd Airborne in Fort Bragg, N.C., Hasenauer only learned in early December that his fiancee, Colette Kopp, had given birth to their first child, Kayla.

The last days of Hasenauer's life, Spilly said, were consumed with "his excitement over being in love, his excitement over being called Daddy."

Last year was the deadliest in Afghanistan since U.S.-led forces ousted the Taliban in 2001 for harboring Osama bin Laden. The fighting killed about 1,600 people, including 91 members of the U.S. military, as militants belonging to the Taliban, al-Qaida and other groups have stepped up attacks.

Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld has ordered the number of troops in Afghanistan to be cut from 19,000 to about 16,500 by next spring.

Hasenauer graduated from high school in 2003 and joined the fire department in this village 25 miles northwest of Rochester. He gave up a job at a department store to join the Army because he had a strong sense of duty and "he wanted to do more," said his father, Dan.

Six military comrades carried his flag-draped coffin from the church his family attended in nearby Hamlin. His fellow firefighters lined the main street in Hilton as the funeral procession passed through, hoisting a giant U.S. flag atop two fire-engine stepladders. Passers-by stood by their cars with their hands placed over their hearts or in salute.

At the cemetery, while Hasenauer's infant daughter cried, an honor guard fired three volleys, a bugler played taps and the Stars and Stripes was ceremoniously folded and handed to his family.

Posted On: 2006-01-02T05:15:18Z
Listing Detail: Email received 28 December 2005

Well, I don’t even know how to start this e-mail. Yesterday began as any other day going out on an early morning mission but it did not have a good ending. We had barely left the wire driving out Highway 4 towards Kandahar City. I was in the 2nd to last Humvee in our convoy. Visibility was good, the morning was chill but bearable. We were on an improved hardball road rolling good speed and distance when suddenly an equivalent of a fuel tanker which was stopped on the ride side lane as the convoy began to pass on the left forcefully started pulling out into the left lane where the convoy was passing. The Humvee in front of me barely swerved to miss it and common sense would get anybody pulling out from a stop and seeing another vehicle fly by to stop. Well, that did not happen as my Humvee was headed strait for it. My driver did his best to swerve and miss the tanker but in doing so had to catch some dirt on the left side where the shoulder was off the hardball. The tires caught awkwardly as I felt myself going up into the air as I was the front passenger. I was hoping we would come back down but the rear tire blew and there was a good drop off the road on the left where we had gone. The Humvee rolled at least one complete turn and a half. I don’t even know that it happened except the last Humvee was in position to see it all happen. I remember trying my hardest not to get hit or to hit anything as we were rolling. When we had come to complete stop I was elevated and hung on to a handmike cable and bleeding from my face. It took a while for me to realize what had happened then I heard the God awful screams coming from just outside the truck. I tried to get out as me and Julca directly behind me tried to make our way out. I was dazed and banged up pretty good and told Julca to get out before me. He had torn his ligaments in his shoulder and was in alot of pain. I was worried like hell as I heard screams coming from outside and not knowing who they were from. I was finally able to disconnect the radio handmike that was keeping me in place and I sort of fell from the height I was at towards the Gunners opening in the center of the Humvee. I made my way out bleeding from my face and looking for everyone. I found Deiss on the ground screaming in pain and he couldn’t move. I was wondering why Doc hadn’t gotten to him when I looked up and saw my Gunner Hasenauer laying on the ground on his back. Doc was working on him hard but he was a complete mess. He was lifeless and bloody but Doc worked and worked and worked on him like I’ve never seen anyone try in my life. By now the rest of the guys had come back to help in any way they could. I stayed with Deiss holding his hand. He just kept calling my name and I couldn’t do anything for him. I felt so helpless cause I knew he had a serious back injury so I couldn’t move him. I just squeezed his hand in my own bloody mess and accomadated his head. Any little movement or touch was too painful for him to bear. My driver Wright had a good cut on his finger and Julca had a busted up shoulder but for all intents and purposes they were ok. My nose would not stop bleeding and my left elbow was pretty banged up from hitting the radio mount inside during the flip. I walked over to Hasenauer as Doc and a PA worked on him. I sat there next to him crying like a little kid hoping he would come too. A Medavac was called in for Hasenauer and Deiss and Julca, Wright, and myself were taken by ambulance to the medstation. We were given a once over and they were worried about my head injuries but I insisted I was fine and for them to take care of the other guys. As I lay on the patient table half naked my command came up to see how I was doing and told me that Hasenauer had passed. I lost it. I have come to face with my biggest fears out here of loosing one of my own. Wright, Julca, and myself were released, Deiss was bad with a broken hip, thigh, and leg so he was kept. I came back feeling more tired than I have in a long long time. My head was hurting, I have a cut up nose and scraped up left elbow. As I lay in bed last night my entire left side started feeling little pains and tenderness that I had not felt during the day. I didn’t sleep much at all and I had to wake up extra early today as me and 8 guys had to carry Hasenauer’s casket draped in an American flag onto a plane this morning. I thought I was ok, but I find myself sitting here writing crying to myself. I am so sad it hurts. Hasenauer was a good paratrooper. He joined to be in the Army’s elite after 9/11 as he had dreams of becoming a Firefighter. He was a volunteer firefighter in Fayetteville where we are stationed and it was during our deployment out here that he found out he had gotten his fiance pregnant. She gave birth to a baby girl in December and he was looking forward to seeing her for the first time. My regret is he never got the opportunity. I have to end this now, I’m sorry, I can’t go on.

Chris