Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael!

May you spend very little time in natural sunlight this weekend

(watch those exhaust fumes!)

-Bill (almost in dyno slip heaven...if it wasn't for the fact that the SCCA is running this Saturday!)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-06-2004, 10:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
oh man...if you still get this anyway i could swing by and check out the dyno session???Im in tampa as well and would love to see it.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:10 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

YAY!!! I can't wait to see the plots!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-07-2004, 06:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
It sucks when you come across a thread that has 32 PAGES! So I didn't get to read it all.

But - WOW good WORK!!! I'm also excited to see how all this turns out!

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 05-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I'm not back to miami yet so I can't post the plots but I'm just too excited to wait to share our results. Spent the day at Mastro today on the dynapack dyno tuning up stage 1 and 2.

First for those of you not familiar with dyno #'s they show hp at the wheels not the fly wheel so #'s are of course much lower than the at flywheel #'s given by the factory. The 164.87 we found to be peak hp for this car before any ecu tuning is indicative of a flywheel hp slightly higher than the 230 hp specified factory (due to k&n and exhaust modifications). The tech running the dyno said that well tuned wrx's score about 170 hp on their dyno.

With stage 1 we weren't able to increase peak power very much but we were able to get rid of the low end lag. Between 2000 and 3000 rpms. The stock tsb rom was running air fuel ratio between 14.2 up to a spike of 14.6 in this range. The hp was in the 80 to 87 range and all the way down to 72 where the afr peaked at 14.6. We richened the entire curve putting the 2000 to 3000 rpm range in an afr from 13.5 to 13.1 which greatly raised and smoothed out the hp curve into a steady incline from 112 hp at 2000 rpms to 165 hp at 3000 rpms and on up to a peak 170.24 hp at 3200 rpms. From 3200 rpms on there was no hp increase. Peak hp on the stock tsb rom was 164.87 at 3500 rpms. So we only increased peak hp by 5.37 but the gains below 3200 rpms were very good and explain what I felt to be a very noticeable improvement in driveability. I really hated that low end lag. I forgot to look at or print out torque results and we ran out of time at the end of the day so I wasn't able to do another run to get them. I'm sure we'll go back to the dyno again to tweak things some more and release stage 1 version 2.0--I'll remember to watch and print torque next time.

Stage 2 delivered everything it was expected to and then some. Peak torque was reached as soon as the nitrous oxide was engaged. Ready for this..........518 ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpms. Nitrous oxide being a stabe boost accross the entire load and rpm range gives big #'s accross the board. The dual power bands provided by the iris system in the svx were strongly evident in all of the plots. You see one distinct curve from low rpms to around 4200 rpms and a second distinct curve from 4200 rpms on up to 6200 rpms. We reached a peak of 281 hp at 3200 rpms in the first curve and a peak of 281.6 hp at 4500 rpms in the second curve. That's an increase of 116.73 hp at the wheels from the nitrous. We found that ignition advance needed to be greatly reduced--more than even I expected and as you all know I expected it to need a good amount of retarding. This is about a 150 hp shot and most cars do well with retarding the advance 2 degrees for every 50 hp. That would be a reduction of 6 degrees of timing advance. In my trial runs before going to the dyno I was running 5 degress less advance than factory and heard no audible knock. That's what we initially ran on the dyno while monitoring the amount of knock retard the ecu was using with the subaru select monitor. It displayed a min retard of 0 and max of 10--10 being the max the ecu can take out. That means we needed to retard it some more. We were also a little lean. I richened the fuel up and decreased ignition advance 8 degress instead of 5. We then ran an afr steady between 13.0 and 12.7 accross the board. Min knock retard red as +1 meaning there was a section where the active ignition advance system of the ecu was able to calculate in more advance and a max retard of -9 meaning we never exceeded the abilities of the ecu to avoid any real knock. These #'s basically mean we are eeking out every last hp possible out of this shot of nitrous--we're right in the golden afr range for maximum power and using as much ignition advance as possible, any more would reduce rather than increase hp and quickly become unsafe. You should have seen the looks on the faces of everyone in the shop when we started running the nitrous. I think we did 5 runs. By the end of the second run everyone in the complex was spectating. This is the first svx they have had on the dyno there and it was putting out right around 400 hp and you could hear it. By all accounts the growl of 400 hp coming out of an svx is music to the ears.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:15 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by longassname
Ready for this..........518 ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpms.
Good lord!

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 05-07-2004, 11:19 PM
deruvian

Thumbs up Wow. Just, wow.

My my... I don't know what to say. You've delivered pretty much everything I had expected. This thread has grown pretty quiet in the last two days, simply awaiting the good news.

And this is good news.

I need a towel.

Keep up the good work man. I think everytime that I see you've posted in this thread since my last visit, my heart goes just a wee bit faster. Keep it up!
Old 05-08-2004, 12:44 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
holy mother of god i have to get my credit card out.
phil
Old 05-08-2004, 03:32 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Congratulations!! That is completely over the top!

Micheal: I've had no luck with the links on your site www.ecutune.com. I thought it was my computer as I was having trouble with it, but it has been fixed and I still can't link. I get the home page, but that is all. I'm interested in the links with more detailed info on stage 1 and stage 2. Do they do anything, or have you put everything on this thread?

Again, Congrats!!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC

Last edited by svxhunter; 05-08-2004 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Superbeast

Awsome. I can't wait.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 05-08-2004, 08:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
whats the cost of this kit again?
Old 05-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Holy crap batman! A 400hp SVX...who would've thought?!

Amazing results Michael! Don't forget the OBD II people. I'll try to pull my ECU and take those pics for you...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
Congratulations!! That is completely over the top!

Micheal: I've had no luck with the links on your site www.ecutune.com. I thought it was my computer as I was having trouble with it, but it has been fixed and I still can't link. I get the home page, but that is all. I'm interested in the links with more detailed info on stage 1 and stage 2. Do they do anything, or have you put everything on this thread?

Again, Congrats!!
That homepage is just something I threw up there when we started on this. Some of the info on it is incorrect as plans changed as we went along. The links never worked...never had the info for the other pages till now. I'm not back in Miami yet but when i get back I'll work on getting the real website up. I'll post the plots and some of the pictures we took at mastro here at the forum as well.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
whats the cost of this kit again?
We're expecting to charge $1049 but we haven't gotten the price for the custom brackets yet. If there is any adjustment to the price it will be small but I expect we'll be able to stick to our $1049 price tag.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
holy mother of god i have to get my credit card out.
phil
Ya, to order a different clutch