Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Well if we're all coming clean I'm a SVX aholic.

I can give them up any time I want to.

Just don't want to, is all.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-31-2009, 09:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
New Thermo style.
Pic not showing. can you repost it?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 11-01-2009, 12:41 AM

Sorry about here is the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bypass thermo plan.jpg (43.2 KB, 263 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Well if we're all coming clean I'm a SVX aholic.

I can give them up any time I want to.

Just don't want to, is all.

Oh Joe, I am so glad that you have admitted it.

I always though that you were a bit bent that way, but didn't know how to broach it. I guess, as you have come out of the closet, we can discuss it openly.

You are not alone, I guess we are all sort of 'recreational users'. Most of us have, the one hit, though I see that you are up to, 'the three hits'. A bit more that just a habit mate, but nowhere near the stage of Earl, he has really lost it, ODing on 16/18 hits

So take support from your fellow uses, You can do it!!!!

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:12 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Oh Joe, I am so glad that you have admitted it.

I always though that you were a bit bent that way, but didn't know how to broach it. I guess, as you have come out of the closet, we can discuss it openly.

You are not alone, I guess we are all sort of 'recreational users'. Most of us have, the one hit, though I see that you are up to, 'the three hits'. A bit more that just a habit mate, but nowhere near the stage of Earl, he has really lost it, ODing on 16/18 hits

So take support from your fellow uses, You can do it!!!!

Harvey.
Just three "hits", ya think?

Photo Locker

Three hits to speak of you might say.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Thank you Tony.

For some time I have been trying to raise the matter in a kindly manner. You confirm what I suspected. I sincerely hope others will understand. I sent up a high one and you caught the ball. A lot has been covered.

No need for explanation, but this is a huge step forward in respect of possible errors in communication. Harvey has only one arm, I only one eye and a hole in my head. Join the gang.

I'm right at home here, my brain is wired a bit differently too.
I'm left-handed, 'right-footed' and right eye dominant. I love what you guys are doing in this project.

As for Joe, I'm not 'as well' as Joe is, I won't even admit my SVXaholic addiction- won't admit how many SVX I have or what I'm doing with 'em, but I'm getting closer to doing so
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 11-01-2009, 03:23 PM

We have news,
Steve tried the bypass trick from the front of the water pump around to the intake. It didn't work and seemed to be no better. This is a surprise, you would have expected that the decreased flow would have helped.
His idea now is getting back to were RallyBob was with Jacks engine. Bob opened up the inlet and outlet on the block to get greater flow throught the engine.
It appears that slowing down the pump won't help it just results in the block not getting enough coolent and the engine boiling.
So gentlemen we now know why electric pumps don't work as well. Have a great day.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
We have news,
Steve tried the bypass trick from the front of the water pump around to the intake. It didn't work and seemed to be no better. This is a surprise, you would have expected that the decreased flow would have helped.
His idea now is getting back to were RallyBob was with Jacks engine. Bob opened up the inlet and outlet on the block to get greater flow throught the engine.
It appears that slowing down the pump won't help it just results in the block not getting enough coolent and the engine boiling.
So gentlemen we now know why electric pumps don't work as well. Have a great day.
Tony

Gasp... the pump is not the problem... /gasp

Glad to hear you now have your evidence to support it. Get a better manifold on there and try it

Tom
Old 11-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post
Gasp... the pump is not the problem... /gasp

Glad to hear you now have your evidence to support it. Get a better manifold on there and try it

Tom

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
We have news,
Tony
By passing the pump does not have the same effect as slowing the pump.

Nothing has been proven. Logic is ignored. The earth is flat.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:43 PM

BoxerSix any chance if I get a SVX crankcase to you that you can cut it up and figure out what mods we need to do to get the coolent flowing.

Next question has anyone got a SVX crankcase to give up its life so others may live. I am happy to pay something for it and the freight.
Tony
Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Registered SVX

It doesn't look like any of the EJ crossover pipes will work. The O-rings tell the tale:
806933010 EJ 33.7x3.5
806937020 EG333 37.7x3.5
Old 11-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
BoxerSix any chance if I get a SVX crankcase to you that you can cut it up and figure out what mods we need to do to get the coolent flowing.

Next question has anyone got a SVX crankcase to give up its life so others may live. I am happy to pay something for it and the freight.
Tony
I have an EG33 that Tom gave me which had a tossed rod. Back in the spring Tom and me had discussed perhaps welding up the damaged area of the block, then cutting windows in strategic places on the block (covering with plexiglass or similar) in order to observe the flow of some dyed water within the coolant passages. I would spin over the OEM pump with an electric motor to simulate various rpms, easily done by varying pulley diameters. Or conversely I have an Aerospace Components 37 gpm electric pump which could also be utilized.

I have a feeling that a lot of the issues at hand relate to the fact that the EG33 has 2 more cylinders for the pump to pass water over, and therefore has a 50% further distance for the coolant to travel as well as 'potentially' 50% more heat to transfer compared to an EJ25. The way I see it, there must be a significantly greater dropoff of flow pressure near the rear of the block compared to a 4-cylinder EJ, and far greater surface friction.

EG33 Impreza tweaks

Last edited by RallyBob; 11-01-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: re-worded
Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Tony, yes I can hack an EJ257 case and get any dimensionality you require for the blocks. Not a problem.

If I had an EG33 case I could and would do the same for that.

For kicks, here are some pictures of an EJ257 crossover tube. It has been stated that the orings are different in diameter, by 4mm, but you may find that they still may fit and seal as there is plenty of room to port the EJ257 x-tube to still seal a 37mm oring.

Main x-tube ports are 27mm in diameter
Main x-tube ports are 298 apart center to center

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
I have an EG33 that Tom gave me which had a tossed rod. Back in the spring Tom and me had discussed perhaps welding up the damaged area of the block, then cutting windows in strategic places on the block (covering with plexiglass or similar) in order to observe the flow of some dyed water within the coolant passages. I would spin over the OEM pump with an electric motor to simulate various rpms, easily done by varying pulley diameters. Or conversely I have an Aerospace Components 37 gpm electric pump which could also be utilized.

I have a feeling that a lot of the issues at hand relate to the fact that the EG33 has 2 more cylinders for the pump to pass water over, and therefore has a 50% further distance for the coolant to travel as well as 'potentially' 50% more heat to transfer compared to an EJ25. The way I see it, there must be a significantly greater dropoff of flow pressure near the rear of the block compared to a 4-cylinder EJ, and far greater surface friction.

Yessir. It's loss coefficients at work here in this damn EG case. I mentioned this as well in one of my posts where subaru used the same coolant castings and case designs as the EJ's for flow, yet did not relocate the coolant jacket outlets to balance flow around the cylinders themselves. When you compare the design of the EG33 coolant passages and inner castings to similar motors designs that do not overheats(EZ series, Porsche flat sixes) there is a huge difference in the amount of LC's in the coolant jackets(lower in the newer motors)

I wish my laser digitizer was bigger so I could scan these damn cases and plug the 3d model into Solidworks CFD and see what's going on in this thing

I'm going to run my EG33 in my WRX here in a mere week or so. If it starts to run hot as you guys are having, I'm going to drill + purge the case as I mentioned in my first post to see what it does. My setupo is not quite the same as everyone elses though.

I should also note that I am running the EG33 with the OEM WRX upper purge tank(the one positioned off the upper right intake manifold on the EJ20/25). It is plumed into the right side heater core hose(T'ed in) with the feed off the bottom of the tank. There is a purge line that runs from the WRX radiator up to this tank as well, and this tank is used as the main fill point in the system(highest point). I believe you can view the tank in the one picture I posted of my WRX front end. It way up just to the inside of the right side shock tower. You can see it better in this picture taken a couple weeks ago of my setup

Old 11-01-2009, 07:50 PM

Registered SVX

Looks a lot more like a t-shape than the EG33 one.

The 04 WRX still runs the same pump as the EG33...same specs exactly.