Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Well Lee, I'm still looking for that accountability thing. Since I posted about it, the story has deepened. Now this guy is going into rehab.

Now that's fine. People go into rehab. Especially those rich guys...whatever. Where they have their mail sent is up to them. But he just got out of rehab in December. I didn't know that. In fact, this guy has been in and out of rehab since he was a teenager? And he's a (*&^*&%% 'en CONGRESSMAN??

He's claiming he doesn't remember anything about the entire incident. He doesn't remember getting up, getting in his car, the accident, or being taken home by the police. Why is this important? Because he was on his way to press a button on the back of a chair. A button that affects every one of us. This star trek reject was on his way to cast a vote.

Now first, these 1:30am votes that crook Delay started has got to stop. He started it to scam the system, he succeeded, he's gone. They shouldn't be holding sessions at 1:30 in the morning. But more importantly, don't go voting on legislation in that condition. The idiot would have no idea whether he went yay or nay. Somebody needs to latch on to that in the news. Throw his rear out of congress, and stop these early morning votes. What is it with this lack of accountability?

This guy made a comment that he has suffered from depression and addictions his entire life. WTF is he doing in congress in the first place?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 05-05-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
The public should go crazy, not just the conservatives. The cop said on the national news that the guy smelled of alcohol but they were ordered to NOT give him a breathalyzer and instead drive him home.

If I lived in that area I think I'd be recalling that police chief. It was a blatent abuse of power.

Holy Anti-matter Batman! Doug and I actually agree on something!
We have to be careful on that, or we'll end up in rehab with that jackoff.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
This guy made a comment that he has suffered from depression and addictions his entire life. WTF is he doing in congress in the first place?
Err....umm.... shouldn't the real question be, why the heck would anyone vote for him? Obviously, quite a lot of folks did! So either he was the best of a very sorry bunch of candidates, or else the voters need some rehab, too.

Or else somehow he got appointed, annointed, inherited the post, bought his way in, or some other method I haven't heard about yet?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Fact

Quote:

Now that's fine. People go into rehab. Especially those rich guys...whatever. Where they have their mail sent is up to them. But he just got out of rehab in December. I didn't know that. In fact, this guy has been in and out of rehab since he was a teenager? And he's a (*&^*&%% 'en CONGRESSMAN??

He's claiming he doesn't remember anything about the entire incident. He doesn't remember getting up, getting in his car, the accident, or being taken home by the police. Why is this important? Because he was on his way to press a button on the back of a chair. A button that affects every one of us. This star trek reject was on his way to cast a vote.

Now first, these 1:30am votes that crook Delay started has got to stop. He started it to scam the system, he succeeded, he's gone. They shouldn't be holding sessions at 1:30 in the morning. But more importantly, don't go voting on legislation in that condition. The idiot would have no idea whether he went yay or nay. Somebody needs to latch on to that in the news. Throw his rear out of congress, and stop these early morning votes. What is it with this lack of accountability?

I should ask the same thing about his father the Senator. He should have been in jail a long time ago instead of the Senate. A very strong proponent of the "poor" and taking away our money, yet he keeps his so he pays no or very little taxes on it.

As to the late votes, I think you will find that the house had adjourned over 3hours before the incident. Just reserve your final opinion of DeLay until he is found not guilty of all charges or they are tossed out before trial. Was he instrumental in some type of jerrymandering in Tex---probably, just like the Demos do when they are in the majority. (I am NOT a strong support of DeLay either, but I think it is fairly obvious that this is mostly a case of an overzealous Demo prosecutor that is trying to further his own career at the expense of someone else.----that is the part that bothers me.)

It seems we do agree on a few things here, though.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Same Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Err....umm.... shouldn't the real question be, why the heck would anyone vote for him? Obviously, quite a lot of folks did! So either he was the best of a very sorry bunch of candidates, or else the voters need some rehab, too.

Or else somehow he got appointed, annointed, inherited the post, bought his way in, or some other method I haven't heard about yet?
The same kind of people that vote/voted for his father and senile congressmen such as Byrd and Thurmond--and a multitude of other liberal democrats.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Bipa

Quote:
As for the most fair news reporting agency:

THERE ARE NONE!

Welcome to the Millennium of Agenda-based Reporting.

No one tells you what happened and only what happened without fluff. You just need to pick the fluff you like best.

For me, I usually watch NBC or ABC at dinnertime and then the BBC on public TV after that. It doesn't give me the whole story, but it gives me the subject matter so I can go dig up more opinions of the story online.

Doug
Well, actually, weren't most newspapers started by people wanting to get their own opinion across? Most smaller local papers still follow the time honoured tradition of having their editorial boards (or simply the editor) sit down and decide which candidates to support during an election. The TV stations pretend to be a bit more neutral, but there's just no way a human being won't put some spin on any story.

Way back in school, I remember being taught the difference between an observation and a conclusion. As soon as a journalist draws a conclusion, then the story is no longer a simple report but contains one or more opinions which may or may not be true depending on your perspective.

I don't expect balanced reporting from any source, and expect there to be some leaning in one direction or the other. It is up to me as the reader/viewer/listener to seek out the observations and draw my own conclusions.

A simple example: most car accidents AREN'T accidents, are they? Usually due to driver error, or bad maintenance, or some other preventable cause. Yet they are mostly reported in the news as accidents. Oh, well....
Old 05-05-2006, 08:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
You are joking right? I listen to NPR regularly and they give you both sides of the story, the center and the far left!

besides, click and clack are really annoying.
WHAT how could you not love the tapit brothers???... and NPR actually doesnt swing any way its just when a news report is unbiased, republicans like to call that "left wing reporting" you want to hear left wing propaganda listen to Air America (its onnn the left of your dail)
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 PM

Al Franken cracks me up. I actually read one of his books once. Hilarious.
Ah... now it comes to me. I think it was like "Lies, and the lying lyers who tell them." Apparently, he wrote it using a bunch of students at Harvard to do his research. Literally cracked me up.

If a person went any farther left than Air America, they'd fall off the earth.

Lee: If you came into power, and had all those guys up there in DC following your every whim. (Lord help us.) What is the one thing you would change in our country?

Old 05-25-2006, 12:05 PM

Registered SVX
Back to news reporting

FOX's O'Rielly sez up front that he is reporting his "opinion" of a story. The best way to be free of the reporting from the right is to use your V chip. Or just watch CBS & CNN, and listen to NPR, and read any TIMES publication. What does everyone think of the way the NY TIMES catches criticism from O"Rielly for piling on the US military with stories that stir up the terrorists?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano
FOX's O'Rielly sez up front that he is reporting his "opinion" of a story.
They should be forced to put that at the begining of ALL news broadcasts.

I can't think of a single newscaster that I have witnessed telling the facts and only the facts.

Its just a matter of which "spin" you prefer.

I don't think if you took reports from 50 different newscasts and cross-referenced the information if you would be able to find the truth of the story.

I guess its just a sign of the times...
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 05-25-2006, 12:37 PM

It's really embarrassing to say this, but it appears the English version of Al-jazeera is the most objective. Every story I seem to read is just "this happened. this person said this, and this person said this, then this happened".

And that's it. It has, on the surface, no slant in either direction.

Personally, I find that to be shocking.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
actuly its intresting you should mention that because the news papers in Costa Rica are the same way... and it SUCKS!! its sooo boring to read about.. even stuff that would be intresting like kids in schools blowing up bathrooms with pipe bombs...
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Registered SVX
need to look at what is being reported

Quote:
It's really embarrassing to say this, but it appears the English version of Al-jazeera is the most objective. Every story I seem to read is just "this happened. this person said this, and this person said this, then this happened".

And that's it. It has, on the surface, no slant in either direction.

Personally, I find that to be shocking.
It's what they talk about, not how they talk about it. The fact that it being aired is a form of spin or bias...
Old 05-25-2006, 05:10 PM

I'm going to stop calling it news, and just call them all professional bloggers.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:49 PM

Registered SVX
experience

Quote:
I'm going to stop calling it news, and just call them all professional bloggers.
I think the key to watching and listening to news souces is to develope an experience data base to be able to filter the fluff from the real info...