Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Here's a whole mess of pictures from machining the power steering pulley. This power steering pulley is 6 ribs to match the supercharger which it shares a belt with and of course the crank pulley I made. It is also smaller than the factory pulley to keep the correct ratio with the smaller crank pulley. As I had mentioned earlier the splines and shaft onto which the pulley fits required having a broach custom engineered and made for us.

Last edited by longassname; 01-27-2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Aw man, how friggin cool is that??? I may just sell my soul for a stage 3 just for the sweet ass aluminum PS pulley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice Mike

Tom
Old 01-28-2006, 02:03 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
This project is coming along so nicely. And that's one sexy pulley
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I've been looking at that last set of pics and wondering how you made that pointy star design in the PS pulley.

I'm just guessing, but is that ribbed rod like a file of some sort and just kinda oscillates up and down until it punches through? It seems to be smoother near one end and jagged towards the other.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Just some dude.

That ribbed rod thingy is what is called a broach. Broaches do not oscilate. They cut their pattern in one push or pull. This broach is a push broach. The way they work is each row of teeth removes a little bit more material than the last one. They are solid carbide and obviously very sharp. A keyslot broach like the one that we used to cut the keyway into the crank pulley is a reasonably priced tool. A splined broach like the one we used to cut the splines for the power steering pulley is a custom engineered extremely expensive tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
I've been looking at that last set of pics and wondering how you made that pointy star design in the PS pulley.

I'm just guessing, but is that ribbed rod like a file of some sort and just kinda oscillates up and down until it punches through? It seems to be smoother near one end and jagged towards the other.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Frequent User

I believe Mr. Fu did not notice that the broach has a taper to it with increasing depth of "teeth"...
Old 01-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Just some dude.

Here are some pics of the new oil plugs with the bolt holes for mounting the alternator bracket. My engines have socket head oil plugs so I've unfortunately never had the opportunity of holding the hex head versions to see if they can be drilled and tapped for bolts. These are made from scratch starting with 6061 1" hex stock. I kind of wish I had made the out of steel because I could have threaded them in a LOT less passes. Threading to a shoulder has to be done at low speed so you don't run your cutting tool up into the shoulder. To get a clean finish on aluminum at slow speeds you have to remove very little material. So these short little things I had thread up to a shoulder took me about 50 passes each removing only 1 thousand at a pass. They are drilled 25mm deep and tapped to accept 8 mm bolts. In the last picture you can see the supercharger belt installed as well.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXelerator
Mr. Fu

No I saw it. I thought it worked kind of like an inside out cheese grater.

Makes sense now. What I said earlier now makes no sense. These things happen.
Mighty impressive fabrications.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Just some dude.

The alternator bracket came out really well. It's very sturdy and alignment is perfect without any adjustment. The tensioner is built into the bracket and has an inch of swing which gives two inches worth of belt length movement. The belt comes in tomorrow.

With the two idlers on the supercharger/power steering belt we get excellent wrap of all the pulleys and large range of tensioner movement. By changing the location of the power steering idler we can make it so that we get the tension we want with the tensioner pulley near the end of it's range of motion. If the belt ever stretches all we have to do is loosen the tensioner up, move the power steering idler in some, and retension. This maxumizes the wrap on the supercharger pulley. It's overkill and we don't even really need the 2nd idler but hey why not?

Tomorrow I do the bypass valves then she's ready to test and finish (finish meaning paint and anodizing) just in time to install onto mike's car.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
trip progress

Well I made it to Savannah, Ga last night. I made it from Dover, De in 9 hours. Not quite sure how. It should have been 11 hours to here. I used my Marriot points for a free hotel room (thank you Coast Guard). I'm packing up now and should be in Tampa by 2pm. I do believe I will be going to Bush Gardens tomarrow. I get in free!! Ya!!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:13 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Well I made it to Savannah, Ga last night. I made it from Dover, De in 9 hours. Not quite sure how. It should have been 11 hours to here. I used my Marriot points for a free hotel room (thank you Coast Guard). I'm packing up now and should be in Tampa by 2pm. I do believe I will be going to Bush Gardens tomarrow. I get in free!! Ya!!
Have a good trip Mike. You've waited a long time for this - you've earned it!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-31-2006, 02:30 AM
Just some dude.

After noticing that the wire terminal lug on the alternator comes off and that I'd be able to rotate it I got into what turned out to be a fruitfull but long days work. The alternator bracket revision yesterday put the alternator lower and left of where I really wanted it to be. I had settled on this because of a clearance problem between the wire lug and the oil pan. By grinding the alignment bump off the lug and rotating it around and putting a dent in the front of the oil pan I was able to fit the alternator centered and up higher so that it's not the lowest thing on the engine. It is now a little higher than the headers. It took a few trials to get it so that a dent in the alternator lined up with one of the bolt heads that holds the bracket on but now that it's done it will be easy to replicate. Now that I have the measurements the fabrication of this bracket is actually easier than the last one. I want to pick up a slightly longer bolt than I had in the shop for the tensioner so that it goes all the way through the block at full tension but otherwise it's done.

Before you ask why there's an oven in the shop, it's for curing the powder coated parts.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:24 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Wow, you know you have really got me thinking about this. When wil the 2nd batch be making a run??

Tom
Old 02-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Just some dude.

Thanks Tom, the 2nd batch will be right after the first batch. It's 6 oclock now though so I don't want to think about the next batch. I want to get a few hours sleep.

The bolt for the alternator bracket wasn't available in town so I had to make one. No pics of that...it's a bolt. I got the IAC mounted and have pics of that. It pipes to same place it used to be mounted on the bottom of the throttle body. I'm in the process of fabricating the mounting for the supercharger bypass valve. Space is ultra tight so ...fun.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Just some dude.

I got the bypass valve mounted today. That means prototype #2 is now done. We were planning on doing the install tomorrow but I'm thinking it will work out better to do it Friday after a good night's sleep. I still need to cleen up the shop from the fabrication work, powder coat the parts, and get the software ready for Mike's car. I can do that tomorrow and get to bed at a reasonable hour.

It's bedtime for me. 3:30 is better than 6...making progress.

Last edited by longassname; 02-02-2006 at 02:03 AM.