Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Looks to me that where Tony has taken the outlet pressure gauge, is on the block, not at a gallery. Can anybody tell if that is in the left side jacket, or in the pump outlet gallery that he is talking about?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:40 AM

Harvey/ Matt here are the images behind the water pump. Were my finger is is were the pressure is being taken from. Coolent porting goes left for the right head and straight up for the right head.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Port behind water pump..JPG (282.3 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg Port behind water pump. (1).JPG (209.5 KB, 643 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 10-26-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:14 AM

Here is a new test guages were hard to read as they moved a lot also the 6.5k was at Zero then built up. Thermostate is still in.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 pressure guages.jpg (121.6 KB, 338 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Nice Tony! Did the guy told you he resolved this issue permanently? As there is no overheating of one side more than the other?

Well I glimsed onto that point before but it was for the upper outlets rather than the lower ones. but I would still think that we need a Y pipe similar as what YT did.

What do you think?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:46 AM

Just figured the guages were jumping around because I forgot to top up the cooling system so it had a bit of air.
Tony
Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Here is a new test guages were hard to read as they moved a lot also the 6.5k was at Zero then built up. Thermostate is still in.
Tony
I gather that the gauge was following rapid fluctuations in the pressure being monitored. This can be overcome by inserting a damper restriction within the gauge connection.

Fit a small pierced disc, or braze up the nipple and drill a very small through hole, so as to restrict the speed of the flow. You probably have a jet drill which will do the job.

At which point in the circuit was the fluctuation worst? I would expect this to be the pump inlet. You have hit on a way to register points of turbulence.

You point out "also the 6.5k was at Zero then built up." I would expect this comment to refer to the pump inlet, but confirmation would be appreciated. If you can dampen the gauge response, you will be better able to record the exact situation in respect of mean pressure.

The graph now posted, is quite different from that which you posted earlier and about which I expressed doubts concerning validity. In point of fact I completely discounted it as evidence. This new graph is more in line with expectations.

Please also advise whether the thermostat was open when the new readings were taken. I know that recorded temperature provides you with an easy means.

A closed thermostat, opening during slowly increased engine speed, could induce the dip in pressure shown through 3,500 RPM, with the restriction of the bypass circuits accounting for the high pressure at start up. Otherwise this is aspect is difficult to fathom.

Good stuff, this. Trevor. N.B. Not --- Good, stuff this.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 AM

Trevor,
The thermostate was open on all tests. The reason the guages moved around was the air in the coolent system. Don't get to happy that the 6.5k didn't go to zero as the air temp was a lot cooler today during the test. Also getting a bit concerned at have a engine screaming at 6.5k no load, not good for my drive car.
Tony
Old 10-26-2009, 06:26 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Trevor,
The thermostate was open on all tests. The reason the guages moved around was the air in the coolent system. Don't get to happy that the 6.5k didn't go to zero as the air temp was a lot cooler today during the test. Also getting a bit concerned at have a engine screaming at 6.5k no load, not good for my drive car.
Tony
Thanks Tony,

Air in the system during the test means that the figures are somewhat in doubt and another is called for. More work for the willing.

The top manifold pressure is a key indicator and shows that there is unlikely to be any untoward restriction upsetting the overall flow. It is important to establish just how far this pressure rises at the intended maximum RPM. However, I am right with you in your concerns regarding high RPM without any load.

Not sure what you are saying here. "Don't get to happy that the 6.5k didn't go to zero as the air temp was a lot cooler today during the test." Please advise.

It would be worthwhile to run a line to the inside of the car, so that you can monitor this vital pressure while under way. There could be a clue or two yet to be discovered. However, a hot shower must be avoided.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:04 PM

Trevor the test was done for only one reason and that was to see if the majority of the back pressure was in the engine block or after that point. It servied that purpose quit well so I won't be doing it again.
The next test will be as Harvey suggested "with the thermostate removed" and at simlar air temps to the first time I did it.
A follow point about the work on the block the guy did it with a die grinder with the engine still in the car, sound fimilar, isn't that what Rally Bob and Tomtalked about?
The weather has gone cold so can't do the next test till it gets warm again.
Tony
Old 10-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Registered SVX

I think I might have to pull my pump off and have a look...I can't quite work out what is machined and where the twin turbo guy saw the restriction.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Matt its impossiable to show with a photo.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 PM

I may get beaten up here but I feel it is conclusive from the data I have got that the pump suction is boiling at high RPM. I am 100% certain that Harvey was right when he said the low pressure on the inlet would cause the engine to boil. It make sense and the harder you push the rev or engine heat the bigger the problem. This has been confirmed by my friend Steve buggy. Based on this I intend on tracking down the high pressure zone so we know were to approach the replumbing. I don't need to run at high reves I just need to find the areas of restrictions. Next test point will be the top of the radiator so we will have four guages in the engine. Will give this ago in the near future.

I have suggested to Steve that he taps in to the front plug on the out let of the pump and put in a line returning to the two pipes on the inlet side. We both understand that this could cause the enigne to over heat at slow speed he said it would be a change. THis suggestion will mean that the suction will always be pressure feed so there should be no way it can lose prime and boil. What I am proposing is not a stupid as it sounds they use this method to stop deep well bore pumps losing prime. Its worth a try.
Tony
Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I agree Tony that will tell us if it is the inlet boiling, causing the pump to cavitate and stop pumping. It will allow the pressure in the inlet side to increase to above the boiling point of the water in there.

Then we can fix the cause of the low inlet pressure.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
I may get beaten up here but I feel it is conclusive from the data I have got that the pump suction is boiling at high RPM. I am 100% certain that Harvey was right when he said the low pressure on the inlet would cause the engine to boil. It make sense and the harder you push the rev or engine heat the bigger the problem. This has been confirmed by my friend Steve buggy. Based on this I intend on tracking down the high pressure zone so we know were to approach the replumbing. I don't need to run at high reves I just need to find the areas of restrictions. Next test point will be the top of the radiator so we will have four guages in the engine. Will give this ago in the near future.

I have suggested to Steve that he taps in to the front plug on the out let of the pump and put in a line returning to the two pipes on the inlet side. We both understand that this could cause the enigne to over heat at slow speed he said it would be a change. THis suggestion will mean that the suction will always be pressure feed so there should be no way it can lose prime and boil. What I am proposing is not a stupid as it sounds they use this method to stop deep well bore pumps losing prime. Its worth a try.
Tony
That's an interesting suggestion Tony and it could well work. I wish you the best of luck, that's worth a shot.

At to finding the restriction or restrictions, I underlined above your phrase "Areas of Restrictions" above. Plural.

Best case scenario here would be to measure low pressure behind the pump and see where the high pressure starts. If it happened to be one major passage such as the transfer pipe and it could be relieved to let flow resume, that would be a neat and easy fix.

As mentioned earlier and by you above if the flow restrictions are plural and inside the block it could mean disassembling the engine and enlarging some coolant passages to really cure the bug.

Reducing the pump rotor's high speed pumping ability and using the feedback pipe to keep it primed and thus limit boiling may well just do the business.

Keep on plugging it man.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 PM

Harvey you owe me a diagram.