Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

Dont make me drive down to washington to kick your ass!
Thank you waiting for someone to say it.

The SRT-4 is a very impressive Neon but it is still a Neon which means it is a FWD dodge. It is limited in that sense. I am also surpirsed dodge tells people to power shift, thats rediculous. Clutch won't hold up long that way though.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
not to be an ass.. but could we have some verification of this powershifting cue from the neon manual... i can't see how this could possibly be true

not anything agaisn't you phast.. i just.. haven't seen it. or heard of any manual saying that ever

maybe non-dodge manual?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx

Thank you waiting for someone to say it.

The SRT-4 is a very impressive Neon but it is still a Neon which means it is a FWD dodge. It is limited in that sense. I am also surpirsed dodge tells people to power shift, thats rediculous. Clutch won't hold up long that way though.
So don't use the clutch

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Wait, i never thought of that. Can we do it? Ya know im gonna go try it right now.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:41 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:

Dont make me drive down to washington to kick your ass!
After you kick my ass, will you help me work on my car? :-))

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:21 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:

What kind of a response is that? I brought up the supra as an example becuase it was brought up before. I persenally know 2 people running an a jdm sti six speeds pushing more then 400awhp that have not had any problems what so ever.

phil
the torque, the torque, not Hp !!!! Hp can be up to 500, but the torque matters!!!! are you willing to pay $6Grand for it to break it in a couple of sec ?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:26 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
It was NASIOC but since i am not a 6mt owner I read it and did not look further into it. I saw that many people were having trouble w/ their fifth gear and I asumed that it was due to overworking the trans. If it was just a crappy bushing then I am wrong.
Guys did anyone consider other than the STI 6 speed ? another tranny with AWD? 3000GT twin turbo ? is it a good candidate?

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:04 AM
Poor College Racer

bahhh... the work involved would not make it worth it... period.. plus i think the 3000gt motor is transversly mounted.

and hp is directly related to torque, if we're keeping the same redline. but anywho.

The 4eat wil l be able to handle it.. you'll just need a second radiator just for tranny fluid.

if you wanted a fully drag SVX.... i'd try to see if you could get a looser torque converter made, to raise the stall. this would allow you to "brake torque" the car at launch, and with a 4000 RPM stall.. it would really get things moving. again... look for radiator sized cooler

if not for drag.. i think the 6speed would be more fun

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 12-15-2004 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
bahhh... the work involved would not make it worth it... period.. plus i think the 3000gt motor is transversly mounted.

and hp is directly related to torque, if we're keeping the same redline. but anywho.

anyway, the 4eat wil l be able to handle it.. you'll just need a second radiator just for tranny fluid.
is it only related to cooling the tranny ??
if it is the case, I will keep the 4EAT, install a big cooler for it and turbo charge the car..........

Old 12-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

if it is the case, I will keep the 4EAT, install a big cooler for it and turbo charge the car..........
do a search for the "easy street" drag WRX... guess what trans it uses

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-15-2004, 09:57 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

After you kick my ass, will you help me work on my car? :-))
I guess it depends on how my calc final goes today
phil
Old 12-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Best of luck with it Phil.

As our mechanics say here in Ireland:

"Keep the shiny side up and the oily side down"

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Good thinking Batman

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

This is the logic I use for the upgrade Danny. The 4EAT is better at handling large amounts of torque thrown at it lower down the rev range than a MT is. It converts some of this energy to heat, which is why you would need good cooling, cooling is marginal with the OEM set-up.

Compared back to back, the auto tranny will always be a little slower out of the blocks than a manual tranny. Because it can absorb some of the high early torque, it will be less prone to breaking differentials and so on, acts as a buffer and protects the metal parts from shearing.

If you have enough power and torque, and not enough empathy for the mechanicals, you can break anything. However, I hope to produce reliable power and torque which will not overcome the standard drive train. It could turn out to be an affordable upgrade when developed, who knows?

Fingers crossed,

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-15-2004, 01:56 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
not to be an ass.. but could we have some verification of this powershifting cue from the neon manual... i can't see how this could possibly be true

not anything agaisn't you phast.. i just.. haven't seen it. or heard of any manual saying that ever

maybe non-dodge manual?
http://www.mopar.com/street/products_srt4_stage2.htm

halfway down under calibration features, the best i could find for you online but comes with the stage 2 manual.
phil
Old 12-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Wreckless

I'm a close friend of SVXtacys and have been present through the entire project, since he first got the car in the summer of '02.
He's dealt with some seriously tough blows dealing with fabricators, naysayers, and whiny *****es from square one. I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't satisfying as hell to have been able to help bring something like this to life, and prove the naysayers wrong.
But he made it happen, he did the research, he did the majority of the fabrication, too. He loves & hates that car just like it was his wife.

He's had girlfriends, parents, and friends harassing him all along the way as to why he's been putting so much effort into this car and he's seriously had more than ample opportunities to move on to something else. He's paid his dues and done more research on this project than could possibly be considered sane.

We chose an AIC because we didn't want to mess with timing maps by pulling/adding fuel with an SAFC, which at the time of this projects conception was the only option for controlling larger injectors short of a full standalone. The stock timing maps and timing advance remain normal, and the additional fuel is never there when not under boost so the car has zero driveablility or low speed problems.
Personally, I find the SAFC to be more of a hack and only advantageous when you've got an factory boosted car that hates giving you timing advance and has little if any aftermarket ECU flashing/adjustment available, such as a DSM.
When timing advance is your enemy, the SAFC could be deadly, there's dozens of Turbo MR2 owners running larger injectors on SAFC's with the stock ECU that fried motors because of the part-throttle timing and fuel maps. Being that the MR2's run 8.5:1 compression and have a much larger fuel system, I wouldn't want to try to make a 10:1 motor with a 57 trim happy with an AFC while fighting n/a timing maps.

For this SVX, the AIC was literally the best choice possible, short of a standalone. Possibly better than a standalone since this was a street car not a race car, any anyone that's actually tuned a standalone will tell you. Its a real pain in the ass to make a tune from scratch. Setup is a pain in the ass too, with crank triggers and cam angle sensors, etc, and regardless of what anyone likes to say you're *never* done tuning it if you're daily driving it. Sure, it takes maybe an afternoon tops with a wideband to get a nice WOT map with good power and clean a/f's but its that part-thottle, decel, etc that takes forever to make happy on a standalone, and then you need to be worried about being too edgy with it based on the weather & elevation, etc. Even most piggybacks with lots of adjustment (emanage, split second, etc) can cause similar driving issues if you deviate too much from stock maps.

Since SVXtasy wanted a daily driven car for the most part, the Stock ECU w/pulled timing and an AIC is pretty much the best solution possible as long as we don't have problems from the high compression, and thus far we have not (yet ) It also happened to be the most cost-effective, especially considering the price of Nismo 555cc injectors.

At our altitude (5500ft elevation) we've got a lot more elbow room because of the thinner air, but what almost stopped the project dead in its tracks was the lack of a way to adjust ignition timing. The 87 octane map was a bit of a godsend for the reduced timing advance, just to be on the safe side since he was doing this on a stock 10:1 compression motor. We could have gotten away with 5 psi at this altitude with no timing retard on premium but once he went to sea level there would be problems. He wanted this car to be driveable anywhere and trust me, he's done his homework to do exactly that.

He's hit so many speedbumps in this project that I can't even remember them all.
I'll tell you though, after the shop got done with his IC piping and we first went over there to try boosting it, I would have killed to have a picture of the look on his face after we hit 9 psi. The mixture of excitement, fear, and outright stress was absolutely intense. The engine sounded like nothing else I'd ever heard as it was ripping up to the rev limiter. The closest comparison is a Turbo 911, but the 911 doesnt sound that pissed off..

Since we were having wastegate and spooling issues and the boost sensor for the AIC wasn't picking up any manifold pressure, we used a Greddy mechanical boost gauge that I had lying around to troubleshoot. I was holding the gauge in the passenger side and He was driving, and once he hit 9 psi around 4k he hit the 6500rpm rev limiter so freaking fast we both thought that he'd broken something.
We started the car and it purred like nothing had happened... The altitude here probably saved the engine.
But after we got it back to the shop, he was still shaking with fear and excitement as he walked back to his daily driver Legacy.

The second time boosting after working out the wastegate issues and having good boost response from around 2500-3000rpm, the wastegate springing for approximately 5 psi seriously woke the car up. But to quote SVXtasy after I told him we'd hit about 4-5psi: "great! now we need a boost controller!!!"
I can't wait to see what this car does once we get the AIC tuned and fill it with some 101 and run 9-10 psi on the stock timing advance, if I can talk him into doing it that is..
Once the AIC is tuned I think he's shooting for 8 psi on pump gas with the 87 octane map, and at this altitude that should be fine (and fun!).
I think the Impreza 2.5 RS trans will explode first, He thinks the engine will fry first. Either way, I'm almost as excited as he is to think about how much fun its going to be to freak out WRX's and Evos around here....

I hope that holds you all over until the full writeup comes from the man himself..

-Jeff