Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: 11:1 CR Race/Street Engine build

Well got the rad cap on here today... I have since gotten rid of the AUX idle air controller and capped the vac port... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Have had issues with getting his idle to level out at a decent RPM with an AFR a little better than 13.0. I thought it was just the big lift cams decreasing vacuum at idle enough to make it difficult but the duration is not enough to make it *that* lopey. So plugged the port, ripped the valve out... Now we have a good idle between 800-950 RPM at full temp which will allow me to pull fuel back for an emmisions testing friendly 14.7-15.0 AFR from idle up to 2300RPM. Of course with a little load applied we will be right in the gold for making power but this was merely to test emissions (no load). Plus, it helps keep fuel consumption down when idling which is always a good thing.

Car is running very well, a tad bit less noisy from the top end thanks to a quicky valve adjustment (moving shims). Will be running it around tomorrow for some road tests and will declare it race ready once I am sure all is 100%. Glad to see oil pressure is back to normal, just around 10psi@ idle with 35-40psi @3000rpm with no load... This is running a race 20/50 right now and will suggest the oil be a race bread synthetic at the first change with identical weights.

Now maybe I can have my garage back so I can bring my fatboy home

Tom
Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

YT,
Do you think removing the Aux idle air controller is only feasible because you're running a Hydra with Dan's engine? Pics?
-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Well got the rad cap on here today... I have since gotten rid of the AUX idle air controller and capped the vac port... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Have had issues with getting his idle to level out at a decent RPM with an AFR a little better than 13.0. I thought it was just the big lift cams decreasing vacuum at idle enough to make it difficult but the duration is not enough to make it *that* lopey. So plugged the port, ripped the valve out... Now we have a good idle between 800-950 RPM at full temp which will allow me to pull fuel back for an emmisions testing friendly 14.7-15.0 AFR from idle up to 2300RPM. Of course with a little load applied we will be right in the gold for making power but this was merely to test emissions (no load). Plus, it helps keep fuel consumption down when idling which is always a good thing.

Car is running very well, a tad bit less noisy from the top end thanks to a quicky valve adjustment (moving shims). Will be running it around tomorrow for some road tests and will declare it race ready once I am sure all is 100%. Glad to see oil pressure is back to normal, just around 10psi@ idle with 35-40psi @3000rpm with no load... This is running a race 20/50 right now and will suggest the oil be a race bread synthetic at the first change with identical weights.

Now maybe I can have my garage back so I can bring my fatboy home

Tom

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Registered SVX

I'm running a standalone and am running my IAC on a temperature decay setting. I had to adjust the idle speed screw to increase the idle bypass to get this to work.

I tried to set it up as closed loop, but it wouldn't work.

It sounds like Tom has gone further than me and removed the IAC from the system alltogether. To cope, he presumeably has a bunch of extra fuel going in and idle response when it's very cold might be a bit sluggish...like a carby car without a choke.

M
Old 06-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Whoa, back up the misinterpretation bus... The Aux idle air controller is not the one mounted under the throttle body. It is the secondary mounted on the water manifold. This is a valve that is monitored by the ECU but responds based on the temp of the manifold. Without is being mounted, it was essentially open all the time with the new manifold and caused me some issues.

I have full control over the stock IAC which is what I use to keep the airflow ideal per temp of the water. I have target idle speeds set for given temp readings, so when the car is cold it will idle around 1500rpm and warm it will slowly decline as coolant temps increase.

Tom
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Registered SVX

Ooohhh...interesting. I left mine in and it's disconnected and not used in the MS case.

My research suggested it defaulted to open (ie inoperative) when disconnected from the ECU.

Sounds like it's not the case...but I have no idle issues.

M
Old 06-06-2010, 04:06 AM

Registered SVX

Have I missed whether you had any plans to dyno it? I'm trying to get a bit of comparitive data. I'm about 2 weeks away from the ITB's.

M
Old 06-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Maniac modifier

dynoed it a couple months ago... Charts are floating around here somewhere

Tom
Old 06-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I posted them earlier in this thread.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 06-06-2010, 07:23 PM

Registered SVX

Yes thanks found them.

Matt
Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Registered SVX

Hi Tom,

Do you have a record of the installed cams specs? ie, centrelines (or LCA's) etc?

I did mine last night...kind of happy, but not ideal. Hard to work out how to change it even if we wanted to.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Maniac modifier

I don't lost it in the move out of the shop... Would have to call Web cam and get the specs with the grind #'s

Tom
Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Registered SVX

How did you static time it though? Did you just use the factory specs? ie...aligning notches on cams at TDC etc?

We did mine again last night, and the manual didn't seem right. I vaguely recall having the same trouble last time.

M
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Maniac modifier

timing was set to factory specs... If I recall properly I did not change the lob centers either... merely adjusted duration and lift to match desired optimal torque and HP with solid buckets in mind.

Tom
Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 AM

Registered SVX

So mine threw a rod today too.

Had the ITB's singing...found it could revved easily to 7500rpm before I got nervous and changed gear. It felt like it could pull past there without any trouble.

Now has the dreaded knock...digga digga digga digga on idle.

A while back there was some speculation about clearances on the bearings being quite tight...Tom, did you look any further into that?

I reckon it should be able to cope with 7500rpm on the standard bottom end...no need to move to lightened rods or anything should I?

M
Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 AM

Does anyone know were we can find photos of the bearing & crank?
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.