Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
There's a lot that goes into machining a pulley. It's a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Just too many toys!
-Bill
p.s. have you thought about setting up a rig to do your own line of pulleys and crank dampers (stock and underdriven)? Seems to me all you need is a good local plating shop
Old 10-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Machine Shop

To bad that I don't still manage the machine shop. Those pulleys would be a piece of cake on a CNC machine. After programmed could pop them out in couple minutes each. Actually we never machined much aluminum--mostly stainless, hard steel (8620) and monell.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Just some dude.

Ya, I'm actually very unhappy with the manual mill. I'm going to stick with a manual lathe but my plans for the mill are to go all the way up to a 5 axis cnc set up that we can use for making plastic molds as well as metal parts. I don't know about minutes though on the pulleys. You'd save a lot of time with not having to do measurements but there is still a lot of material to remove and a lot of the cuts are very aggressive by nature and can't be duplicated with smaller tools even at controlled angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
To bad that I don't still manage the machine shop. Those pulleys would be a piece of cake on a CNC machine. After programmed could pop them out in couple minutes each. Actually we never machined much aluminum--mostly stainless, hard steel (8620) and monell.

Lee
Old 10-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Just some dude.

I've been convinced to go ahead and step up the belt for the supercharger and power steering to 6 ribs on the base system as well as the high boost sytem. This means I'll have to machine power steering pulleys too. I made the first crank pulley for the standard systems today and took some pictures of it next to the factory crank pulley.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
Looks nice! What's your tolerance on the balancing (vs the level to which the stock piece is balanced)?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Just some dude.

It's machined from a solid piece of aluminum and every surface is turned on the lathe; It should be balanced. As I was mentioning earlier there is a whole lot of machining that goes into this pulley. I'd hate to guess how many passes it takes to make one. The blank starts out weighing as much as the factory crank pulley ( 4 lbs 12 oz) and ends up weighing half as much ( 2 lbs 6 oz). With all the machining done on the lathe the whole thing should be concentric and therefore ballanced.

Quote:
Michael,
Looks nice! What's your tolerance on the balancing (vs the level to which the stock piece is balanced)?
-Bill

Last edited by longassname; 10-30-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Just some dude.

I think what you may be thinking of isn't so much ballancing of the piece but why they are often called harmonic ballancers. My understanding of this is that the function of the piece is generally missunderstood. If my understanding is correct then the harmanics they are worried about ballancing are not engine harmonics but harmonics that can occur with more than one accessory being driven on the same belt. Hence back in the days of half a dozen v belts they were called crank pulleys and when they switched to ribbed belts driving multiple accories they became harmonic ballancers. OEMs go to great lengths and expense in their accessory drive design process to ensure that no resonances occur at any operating rpm.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
Probably a little of both....there are going to be tolerances inherent to your lathe just like their are tolerances inherent to the set up that Subaru's supplier had to produce the stock harmonic balancer...just curious as to what you believe your lathe will provide (ie. concentric to within .001?). I'm also curious - and this has been a discussion topic for a while on this site - what you think about the long term effects of having a solid crank pully versus the stock "damper" that has a rubber collar built in.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 10-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Just some dude.

Geezus Bill, this isn't the space shuttle. I don't have qualification systems here.

Quote:
Michael,
Probably a little of both....there are going to be tolerances inherent to your lathe just like their are tolerances inherent to the set up that Subaru's supplier had to produce the stock harmonic balancer...just curious as to what you believe your lathe will provide (ie. concentric to within .001?). I'm also curious - and this has been a discussion topic for a while on this site - what you think about the long term effects of having a solid crank pully versus the stock "damper" that has a rubber collar built in.
-Bill
Old 10-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
Geezus Bill, this isn't the space shuttle. I don't have qualification systems here.

What? No in-house metrology set up?

-Bill
p.s. anyway I can order the 2v5 chip now without waiting for your web site to come back up?

My Locker
Old 10-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Well it looks pretty damn circular to me.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
What? No in-house metrology set up?

-Bill
p.s. anyway I can order the 2v5 chip now without waiting for your web site to come back up?
I haven't made it yet so just hold up. Who knows maybe power will be back by then.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Just some dude.

We have power back at the office now so the webserver is back online. I'm working on the rest of the crank pulleys now. I have the blanks cut, faced, turned, and the grooves for the vribs cut in.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
Nice! Three questions:

1. Have you thought of offering a s/c kit in which the s/c bolts to the top of the intake (yes, I realize this would require a modified hood, but then we've already got a stock FG hood available, so I don't think it would be a big deal to have it modified ala the Stillen 350z hood)?

2. When should I wait until to order the 2v5 chip? (Please say I'll be able to get it before the 20th of this month!)

3. Just how much FaSTar will the 2v5 chip be than the 2v4? (you reading this, J-man )

-Bill

My Locker
Old 11-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Just some dude.

1) no
2) I'll get to it soon. I don't have an exact date for you.
3) it won't be any different except for at idle

Quote:
Michael,
Nice! Three questions:

1. Have you thought of offering a s/c kit in which the s/c bolts to the top of the intake (yes, I realize this would require a modified hood, but then we've already got a stock FG hood available, so I don't think it would be a big deal to have it modified ala the Stillen 350z hood)?

2. When should I wait until to order the 2v5 chip? (Please say I'll be able to get it before the 20th of this month!)

3. Just how much FaSTar will the 2v5 chip be than the 2v4? (you reading this, J-man )

-Bill