SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2003, 09:28 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Dude, I'm just jackin' with ya....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-12-2003, 10:14 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Nothing snide or patronizing, but I do have many counterpoints to your points. :-)

I forgot to mention that the link I posted (http://www.dalemfg.com/dale_026.htm) shows harmonic twisting of a crankshaft for a Covair motor which is a 6 cylinder boxer. This shows that boxer motors, in general, are not immune to harmonic twisting. It also shows that 3rd and 6th order harmonics can be present and important to damp in at least one boxer motor. The plots on that page are very interesting. They show a harmonic at low rpm and at about 4600 rpm. Perhaps its just coincidence, but peak HP in the Covair motor is around 4400 rpm. I would speculate that if the crankshaft were made stiffer so as to have a higher natural torsional frequency, the harmonic peak at 4600 rpm could have been avoided. Maybe SVX crankshafts are stiff enough that their natural frequency is beyond any torsional vibrations that are induced in normal operating rpm ranges? Anyone have the answer? What about the WRX motors? I think there is evidence to suggest that there is a harmonic that can occur within the operating powerband of the motor. As best as I can tell from searching threads at NASIOC, at least a few people have seen odd problems when using a lightweight pulley where the motor begins cutting out at ~6500 rpm (normal cutout begins at 7000 rpm). Cobb Tuning has even stated that they've observed 2.0L motors cutting out at ~6500 rpm, and this was directly attributable to a lightweight pulley. (In response, they are developing a lightweight damped pulley. I don't know if they will be successful in developing a lightweight damped pulley that actually damps the torsional harmonics because the weight may be a neccessary part of the design to effectively damp the harmonics.) If the longer SVX crankshaft has the same basic diameter as the WRX crankshaft, it seems reasonable to expect that there could be a harmonic within the operating powerband of the SVX motor.

I'm not surprised that the aircraft people have not seen a problem as the harmonic vibrations, if present in our motors, occur at specific frequencies, and as long as they don't run their motors at those frequencies for extended periods of time, there would be no problem.

I did all this research on harmonic dampers because I would like to get a lightweight pulley if I could prove to myself that they are safe to use, but all the evidence I've seen tells me that there is a strong chance that harmonics are present. The degree to which the harmonics may be damaging the motor is inclusive though because no one has run a motor long enough. Running a car for 50k miles with a lightweight pulley with no apparent adverse affects is not good enough for me when Subaru motors are capable of lasting more than 200k miles. So, I think I'd rather take the cautious approach and not put one on until someone can prove to me definitively that they allow no damaging harmonics.

That's all I have to say. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 05-12-2003 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:28 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
underdrive pulley

ive got 73000 miles on my 92 svx, and installed a revline underdrive pulley at about 40000 miles with no ill effects. just my 2 cents. ps it does rev quicker
Old 05-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
the SVX has a forged crank, remember. :P

- Rob
Old 05-12-2003, 01:52 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
the SVX has a forged crank, remember. :P

- Rob
The WRX crank is forged too. Forging can make the crank more resistant to plastic deformation, and it may increase the fatigue life. However, forging has no effect on the spring constant of the metal, and its the spring constant of the metal that strongly affects the natural harmonic frequency of a crank.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
The WRX crank is forged too. Forging can make the crank more resistant to plastic deformation, and it may increase the fatigue life. However, forging has no effect on the spring constant of the metal, and its the spring constant of the metal that strongly affects the natural harmonic frequency of a crank.
Actually, I don't believe the WRX crank is forged. I believe it's nodular iron, just like the EJ25 and EJ22 motors. I could be wrong on that, I know the pistons aren't forged and I may be mixing my memory, but I think the crank is non-forged.

The SVX has the strongest engine internals of any Subaru motor other than the STi.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:28 PM
MINEZ BETTER

porter you think so huh

well let me put my .25 cent in.

svx has the weakest piston rods
svx has the weakest crankshaft due to bearing surface which the rod bearing mates on, is way too soft.
but everything else is fine
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 05-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Porter

Ok, what is it that makes the rods and crank so weak in your opinion?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:16 PM
MINEZ BETTER

CRANK & RODS

The crank is very soft,the hard surface is very thin. Never polish without re-nitrating. The rods will bend if the engine is run in LITTLE detonation.
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 05-14-2003, 10:37 PM

yon is the only member i know that is running cams also upgraded ignition I trust what he says about the svx motor. Victor
Old 05-15-2003, 03:01 AM
sans SVX

Re: CRANK & RODS

Quote:
Originally posted by jsvxstyle
The crank is very soft,the hard surface is very thin. Never polish without re-nitrating. The rods will bend if the engine is run in LITTLE detonation.
Did you score the crank and bend the rods on your SVX? If so, how?

Visit my locker

Old 05-15-2003, 01:31 PM
MINEZ BETTER

done that to my own car, torn down the engine and found out the hard way, thats why i say this.

just for the turbo guyz to know plus the nitrous users as well
Old 05-15-2003, 02:24 PM
sans SVX

I'm kinda surprised that you bend the rods because they are forged steel. Forged steel has a very high yield strength. Maybe there wasn't enough material in the rods for adequate strength?

Visit my locker

Old 05-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
No offense, but I'm not really believing you here. The H6 is an INCREDIBLE engine, and aside from its leakiness, it's EXTREMELY durable. Mine has a 146k, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. As with most of ours. I would think if there was a weakness in the internals of the H6 it would show up in a lot of the higher mileage SVXs, but it doesn't.

- Rob
Old 05-15-2003, 04:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Not to change the subject or create upset for/by those that have or intend to convert to a manual transmission but does the EG33 have a sufficient crankshaft thrust bearing to handle the pressure of a clutch, let alone a heavy duty pressure plate? As the engine was never really intended for a manual tranny did the engineers allow for the axial thrust loads generated by a clutch? If they didn't, they wouldn't be the first or only to do so.