Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Me three. I've compared mine (with a straight pipe) to another one with the stock resonator on. Both cars were at the same idle speed. The difference in tone was alarming. I hate how loud my exhaust is.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:34 PM
JLittell

What kind of resonator would you you all recommend in direct replacement of the OEM resonator? Interesting to read the expericances everyone has had with cutting and replacing with a straight tube...
Old 02-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
What kind of resonator would you you all recommend in direct replacement of the OEM resonator? Interesting to read the expericances everyone has had with cutting and replacing with a straight tube...
As long as there is one, fitted in the same place, it woun't matter. The bigger the better. It allows the exhaust gas pressure to expand and drop pressure earler in the system, so that the header pipe section can run at a lower pressure at higher rpms.

If it is replaced with a pipe, the gas pressure can't drop till it reaches the muffler, much later in the system. This leads to a higher pressure at the header pipe section and reduced power at the higher rpms

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I know Dayle carries resonators in 2.5 and 3.0 inch diameter. I just bought a 2.5 inch resonator from him, along with a 2.5 inch high flow Cat. My plan is to keep the rest of the system stock. I'll post as soon as the system is operational.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-16-2004, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

labor?

have you ever jacked up a car? have you ever loosened a clamp? tightened a clamp? got dirty? you can do it yourself - its easy! (but a little messy)

$250
Not in the middle of the freakin street with a factory jack, no jack stands, a slanted road surface, and (at the time) no tools.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:06 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

Not in the middle of the freakin street with a factory jack, no jack stands, a slanted road surface, and (at the time) no tools.
friends? relatives? i used my grandfather's garage all the time before i had one. i just had to scoot him out of there - he wanted to do everything for me. "gimme that wrench, i'll show ya...."

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-18-2004, 01:26 PM
tancred

how loud of a change are we talking about, a nice throaty roar? or a ungodly civic with exhaust BUZZZZZZ-IP-IP........
Old 02-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Porter

All it did to mine was add some burble, and a tiny bit of rasp on free decel (like blipping the throttle in neutral). Sounds kinda cool actually, very Ferrari 512 but quieter.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:42 PM
tancred

nice, i wish someone had a sound clip so i can decide before i slice and dice my exhaust

Last edited by tancred; 02-18-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
tancred, I'd listen to the people that tell you there's a performance loss if you just cut it out............AND listen to the people that tell you not to pay so much money for an oem unit.

The engineering data on how the resonator improves mid rpm range flow and torque is sound and has been talked about here repeatedly...do a search, it's good info

I think the real answer is to cut out the oem and weld in a high performance resonator. I got the stainless magnaflow resonator and it's great..affordable too.

While you're at it rip out all those factory cats and weld in one big highflow cat. I'm set up straight drop downs on each side to a large two inlet high flow cat to the magnaflow stainless resonator to a factory muffler..........good high performance sound, still quiet, very noticeable performance increase.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:40 PM
tancred

Now thats a reply!

lol, not only do you point out the flaw, but you also explain to the dumb people (me) what I SHOULD do...I like that...Maybe i will copy your idea....
Old 02-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
whats actually in the resonator... would it be possible to just slice it open, rip out the insides, and weld it closed again? i would think it would increase sound, decrease backpressure, and keep the expansion chamber... any thoughts?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 02-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
assuming you could actually weld it back together with no leaks, what you'd have is essentially a large "can" that would, no doubt, be louder, and might actually mess with the flow of gasses out of the system. The resonator is basically a tuned piece of pipe (versus a muffler).
I'd go with "longassname's" suggestion to replace it with a Magnaflow resonator - I've got one in the garage waiting to be installed myself. Check Dayle's posts about replacing the final Cat and resonator on his SVX.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Porter

The primary resonator for the SVX is built into the third catalytic converter and also serves as the collector for the Y pipe.

The second resonator (the one in the midpipe) is the noisy one... and its primary function is to silence the exhaust. I've experienced no decrease in low end or midrange torque, at least not perceptibly.

If I had thought about it beforehand I would have dyno'd before and after, seeing as how I have a 4 wheel dyno about 30ft from my desk.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
The primary resonator for the SVX is built into the third catalytic converter and also serves as the collector for the Y pipe.

The second resonator (the one in the midpipe) is the noisy one... and its primary function is to silence the exhaust. I've experienced no decrease in low end or midrange torque, at least not perceptibly.

If I had thought about it beforehand I would have dyno'd before and after, seeing as how I have a 4 wheel dyno about 30ft from my desk.
The third cat can not act as a resonator, there has to be a large volume for the gas to expand into and the cat is full of a ceramic honeycomb. The resonator is full of nothing, this is where the gas pressure is disapated.

Its effectiveness is related to the speed of the engine, not much at low rpms 2k to 3k, most important 4k up, overtaking power will suffer.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.