Old 04-09-2004, 12:33 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by longassname

I'n a box with a kiddie pool and chocolate pudding
Let me see what I can do.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Jedi Member

Don't listen to him longass!! I traded him my carbon-fiber prototype trunklid for two models and by the time they got to me they had eaten all the pudding and gotten fat!
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 04-09-2004, 01:54 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
Don't listen to him longass!! I traded him my carbon-fiber prototype trunklid for two models and by the time they got to me they had eaten all the pudding and gotten fat!
Hey, hey... That was their fault, not mine! I left them sandwiches and cookies too (so that they WOULDN'T eat the pudding), but I guess that just wasn't enough, now was it? Should have left some NyQuil with those noisy *****es too. "I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go!!!" Then they'd be quiet, AND leave the pudding alone!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:30 PM
deruvian

So, let's get this thang back on track.

What's the good word, Longass?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian
So, let's get this thang back on track.

What's the good word, Longass?
Well I have some good word. My spare engine got delivered today so I have the cam angle sensor I needed to fix the car to run on the dyno. That also means we can start the process of fabricating an intake for the stage 3 blower kit. We're expecting to get the nitrous oxide kit early in the week. I should be posting pics of the install sometime next week then off to the dyno after the install.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:58 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:

Oh, well, that's the good part of the constant battle for good looks! And they are quite hot, by all means.

My long-time girlfriend is one of 'em

Anyone jealous yet?
Ok this thread is begining to become usless with out pics... Where's the proof that your chick is a really hot one??? After this then the thread can get back to talking about Modding the SVX... But Not until we get a PIC!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-10-2004, 11:44 AM
deruvian

FINE!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

Ok this thread is begining to become usless with out pics... Where's the proof that your chick is a really hot one??? After this then the thread can get back to talking about Modding the SVX... But Not until we get a PIC!!!
I wasn't about to go and randomly post a pic of my girl on the internet, but since you just HAD to ask...

I don't really have any "hot" pictures of her (whatever each of you might consider "hot")... But here is a picture of her just before we left for my senior ball last year.

Senior Ball

And here is a picture of her when we went on a photo shoot a while ago. Sorry, B&W.

Photo Shoot

Annnnnnnnd if ya don't think she's good lookin, you can **** off!!
Old 04-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Just some dude.

Re: FINE!!!

Quote:

I wasn't about to go and randomly post a pic of my girl on the internet, but since you just HAD to ask...

I don't really have any "hot" pictures of her (whatever each of you might consider "hot")... But here is a picture of her just before we left for my senior ball last year.

Senior Ball

And here is a picture of her when we went on a photo shoot a while ago. Sorry, B&W.

Photo Shoot

Annnnnnnnd if ya don't think she's good lookin, you can **** off!!
She looks very fitting for the passenger seat of an svx.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Deruvian,
Treat her right...I agree with Michael - she should look right at home in the seat of an SVX. She makes me think of what my oldest daughter might look like in another 8 years.
-Bill
p.s. Okay Chris, can we get back to talking about dyno charts and phase 3 kits?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-10-2004, 01:10 PM
deruvian

Re: Re: FINE!!!

Quote:

She looks very fitting for the passenger seat of an svx.
She definitely digs the SVX. She had me print her a shirt with the following:

Graphic on the front, centered

Graphic on the back, centered

Graphic on the sleeve
Old 04-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Just some dude.

Deruvian,

I was just noticing the mods to your car in your signature. You're going to want to change some of that. Some of them are actually horsepower loosers. You should patch that hole back up in your fenderwell--that actually siphons air out of the fender instead of letting it flow in. You probably aught to put the intake resonator back in too in order to insure you are only drawing in fender air instead of engine compartment air..it's not really a restriction. You should use a K&N pancake filter in the factory air box. Put a maganflow high flow resonator in where you took out the factory resonator and remove the primary catalytic converters (the smaller ones on each side). Especially if you are going to put a stage 2 or 3 kit on your car. You want to remove these to decrease the temp at your exhaust manifold.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:21 PM
tancred

longass

lol, sorry i just think its funny to type that, anyways, He is planning to do something similar to me with his intake, so to replace the stock uh, resonator, yeah thats it, for the intake isnt going to really help prevent the induction of engine air, when your filter in 5 inches off the ground, I dont think that engine air will be down there, warm air rises? but, im thinking about what you say about the hole in the skid pad stuff, even with my cold air down there would there still be a loss? If you need better explanation of what im saying look at my posts in the "Intake resonator removal" thread....

Thanks

Dustin
Old 04-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by tancred
longass

lol, sorry i just think its funny to type that, anyways, He is planning to do something similar to me with his intake, so to replace the stock uh, resonator, yeah thats it, for the intake isnt going to really help prevent the induction of engine air, when your filter in 5 inches off the ground, I dont think that engine air will be down there, warm air rises? but, im thinking about what you say about the hole in the skid pad stuff, even with my cold air down there would there still be a loss? If you need better explanation of what im saying look at my posts in the "Intake resonator removal" thread....

Thanks

Dustin
Dustin,

I don't want to reinact the whole discussion of how the air flow around the svx's front end and into the engine compartment, and into the fenders works but I'll give you the short points.
The design of the front bumper with the wide slots, the pan under the front of the engine compartment creates high pressure into the openings in the bumper and low pressure underneath the engine compartment. This draws air through the front slots both through the radiator into the engine compartment and around the sides of the radiator into the fender wells. If you open a hole to the fender well in the low pressure area while not sealing the opening into the engine compartment yes it will certainly draw hot air from the engine compartment into the fender well. If you are putting a conical filter into the fender which it sounds like you are...you should be careful to seal around the hole going into the fender. If you cut a hole in the plastic in the bottom it will most likely suck air out of the fender rather than let it in.

All that's been discussed before so lets not start it up again in here......maybe in your thread on how to do it would be a good place. Personally I don't see anything wrong with the factory airbox..just throw in a k&N pancake filter and you're good to go.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:20 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Deruvian,

I was just noticing the mods to your car in your signature. You're going to want to change some of that. Some of them are actually horsepower loosers. You should patch that hole back up in your fenderwell--that actually siphons air out of the fender instead of letting it flow in. You probably aught to put the intake resonator back in too in order to insure you are only drawing in fender air instead of engine compartment air..it's not really a restriction. You should use a K&N pancake filter in the factory air box. Put a maganflow high flow resonator in where you took out the factory resonator and remove the primary catalytic converters (the smaller ones on each side). Especially if you are going to put a stage 2 or 3 kit on your car. You want to remove these to decrease the temp at your exhaust manifold.
I wanted my intake to sound meaner, so I removed the stock resonater in the fender well. I did not remove the up-pipe from the resonator into the filter box (thus allowing for adequate separation from the engine compartment). I do have a K&N filter in the filter box.

Longass, do you know if there ever was a thread about the exhaust resonator's purpose? My local muffler shop informed me that all those do is slow down air flow, reducing the noise.

And about the primary cats... California is very strict on smog regulations. I am thinking about removing the y-cat, and replacing the two primary cats with two high-flow cats. This will be essentially the same setup as the stock, but with a new muffler (unsure on the brand right now) and without the y-cat. However, I'm not even sure if this will be legal. I still have to make some phone calls to the DMV, my mechanic, and some muffler shops in the area.

If I didn't explain any of these setups very well, let me know. I'll make some diagrams for you.

What's your opinion now that I've explained? Thanks for the concern.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:

I wanted my intake to sound meaner, so I removed the stock resonater in the fender well. I did not remove the up-pipe from the resonator into the filter box (thus allowing for adequate separation from the engine compartment). I do have a K&N filter in the filter box.

Longass, do you know if there ever was a thread about the exhaust resonator's purpose? My local muffler shop informed me that all those do is slow down air flow, reducing the noise.

And about the primary cats... California is very strict on smog regulations. I am thinking about removing the y-cat, and replacing the two primary cats with two high-flow cats. This will be essentially the same setup as the stock, but with a new muffler (unsure on the brand right now) and without the y-cat. However, I'm not even sure if this will be legal. I still have to make some phone calls to the DMV, my mechanic, and some muffler shops in the area.

If I didn't explain any of these setups very well, let me know. I'll make some diagrams for you.

What's your opinion now that I've explained? Thanks for the concern.
Yes there are threads about the function of the resonator. I don't have a link to one but i'm sure searching for resonator will find it. It's function is also explained in the factory service manual. To sum it up when an exhaust valve opens it realeases sound as well as gass. When the sound wave reaches the expansion chamber of the resonator it creates a negative backpressure wave which evacuates the combustion chamber. Without the resonator the sound wave has to travel all the way to the muffler to reach an expansion chamber and there isn't enough time for it to reach the combustion chamber and evacuate it before the exhaust valve closes again. Magnaflow's high flow resonator is smooth flowing and not a restriction while still providing the expansion vollume which provides the performance effect.

It's the primary cats you want to remove in order to increase flow as well as keep control of temperature. We dont' smog test in florida anymore......but back when we did I driving a 10.2 second mustang. Some of the common work arrounds were to swap back in the factory cat pipes just for the anual emissions test, lower idle to where the car was barely running and thus hydrocarbon output was low, intentionally make your exhaust leak so that half of the ehaust gas never makes it back to the tailpipe. Emissions criteria in fl also varry according to the year of the vehicle. If it's the same in CA you should find that the criteria for your 10 year old car should be easy to meet. If they are inspecting to see that the catalytics are there another common thing was to bash the honeycomb material out of the cat so that it appears it's there but it's really empty. Not that I'm suggesting you do anything of these things, just telling storries about how I've seen people work around emissions tests.