Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2009, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX
Re: HID kits on the cheap.

I'm a little behind here... So is the general consensus that everyone is happy and not experiencing any lens melt, or other problems? This just all sounds too good to be true.

As a side question, can someone direct me to a thread about polishing/repairing UV faded lenses?

Thanks,
Mac
Old 01-20-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post
I'm a little behind here... So is the general consensus that everyone is happy and not experiencing any lens melt, or other problems? This just all sounds too good to be true.

As a side question, can someone direct me to a thread about polishing/repairing UV faded lenses?

Thanks,
Mac
Get the crystal view headlight restorer. You can get it at wal mart. A lot of us here use it. Works pretty good but does not last 4ever like thay say it does.

The website:

http://myheadlight.com/
Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 PM

Results from my research is HID lamps do not have a filament. Instead the light is created by an electrical discharge between two electrodes in an air tight tiny quartz capsule filled with xenon gas, mercury, and metal halide salts which allows the bulb to operate at a lower temperature. The HID system will also draw less power from your vehicles electrical system, you can also read the prior post in this thread to get a feel on HID's in SVX's.

On the next inquiry do a search "Ceaning Headlights" lots of info on the forum in regards to that subject.
1992 Subaru SVX Pearl White LS-L 128k #7234
1992 Subaru SVX Pearl White LS 145k #2896
2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Blue Pearl Limited 36k
Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the help. Can't wait to see well.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Mac,
I put a clear, supposedly UV resistant film on the lenses of the headlamps on your car just after I bought it. The film is getting hazy though the lenses themselves should be (were when I put the film on) in great shape.

Todd
Old 01-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Registered SVX

Don't I feel like a dummy.... I assume that it is a 3M or other type of film? Any specific method of removal/replacement?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post

Thanks,
Mac
Mac

There seems to be two power levels of HID, the normal or standard is 35 watts, and the more powerful one is 50 or 55 watts. Most seem more than happy with the light output of the 35 watt variety.

I have seen a post on here where it is claimed the HIDs draw less power but operate at a higher temperature than a halogen bulb. It is physically not possible that these bulbs give off more heat than a halogen type, it defies the Laws of Physics.

A standard halogen bulb draws 55 watts of current from the system, and a standard HID draws 35 watts.

This current is being converted into energy, in both cases a mixture of short wavelength light energy and longer wavelength heat energy.

As we are aware the HID puts out more lumens or light energy than the halogen bulb, even though the halogen draws a higher wattage of 55w. This implies that the balance of the 35 watts used is given off as heat, and this heat will be way less than the heat given off the halogen bulb.

So this implies the HID lamp will be a lot cooler than the halogen equivalent. In fact even comparing with a 55w HID, because a higher amount of the drawn energy is given off as light, it stands to reason the 55w HID should be cooler than a 55W halogen. It just happens to be a more efficient lamp.

The same physical size as [or smaller than] a halogen bulb and drawing less current, there is no way it could melt any lens the halogen bulb did not damage.

Plus the actual glass envelope of the lamp is designed to absorb UV light so that UV damage does not happen to polycarbonate lenses.

From what I understand we should be using a HID bulb with an S suffix to work our low beam, which is a projector lamp. We need to use the R suffix if using the lamps in the main beam, which is a reflector type. I don't know which type these new cheaper lamps may be. Maybe the guys know, it should be on the literature.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-20-2009, 05:03 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

A family member ordered two sets of the Apexcone 5000k 55w HIDs from this vendor as a holiday gift for me. However, the order was placed on December 28th and we received one set only so far.

After calling a few times today, I was able to get a representative on the line. He apologized and assured me that the second set would be on its way with expedited shipping.

Aside from the hiccup, I am VERY happy with the way these lights look in my Ebony.

They actually look much more blue in the first pic than they are.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Hey Mike where did you end up mounting your ballasts?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
A family member ordered two sets of the Apexcone 5000k 55w HIDs from this vendor as a holiday gift for me. However, the order was placed on December 28th and we received one set only so far.

After calling a few times today, I was able to get a representative on the line. He apologized and assured me that the second set would be on its way with expedited shipping.

Aside from the hiccup, I am VERY happy with the way these lights look in my Ebony.

They actually look much more blue in the first pic than they are.

Thanks for the pics Mike. Those look good.

I bought a set at the Autosport International motor show last week. They were 6000K. I would have preferred 5000, but that was not an available option.

Seeing yours now I still think 5000 is correct. Going up in the temp range makes them bluer to the eye. This makes them glare more, with no advantage to the owner driver, other than many people seem to like the bling idea of lights being blue.

The 6000K ones are on my CXD car in England. I'm going to get a 5000K set for Jersey Girl.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Hey Mike where did you end up mounting your ballasts?
Seth,

I mounted the left ballast to the transmission resistor point, as It was removed when the car was converted to 5-speed. The passenger side ballast is secured to the area underneath the headlight using double-face foam tape; a temporary solution for now. I would like to eventually secure that one on the apron adjacent to the abs pump.

I have the larger apexcone ballasts, just FYI.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Thanks for the pics Mike. Those look good.

I bought a set at the Autosport International motor show last week. They were 6000K. I would have preferred 5000, but that was not an available option.

Seeing yours now I still think 5000 is correct. Going up in the temp range makes them bluer to the eye. This makes them glare more, with no advantage to the owner driver, other than many people seem to like the bling idea of lights being blue.

The 6000K ones are on my CXD car in England. I'm going to get a 5000K set for Jersey Girl.

Joe
Joe,

The 6000k still can be a great compliment to some vehicles. They looked good with SOV13T's Laguna Blue.

However, I would agree with you overall. I found that the 5000k is a great temp for most applications. It provides the look of a classy modification without the "tuner" look higher temperatures "project".

I live very close to NYC, and there are many "boy racer" imports Honda/Toyota/Nissan around here running 8000-12000k HIDs, many with the original reflector-type housings. They can be extremely irritating when shining from behind, and I cannot see how the driver finds them attractive or helpful with night-time driving.

Then again, when a 1998 Expedition comes up on my tail with mis-aimed 8000k's in reflector housings, I don't see much for awhile.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:31 PM

I ordered two HID's from DDM. They arrived today, and I didn't pay any taxes or duties and I'm in Canada...it's a hit and miss thing with customs.
Now for my question. I order two 4500k bulb type=9006 35 watt, I paid $59.95 each, with delivery to Canada total price $144.60 and expected to get two lights and two ballasts.
What I got was two boxes with two lights and ballast in each box?? I now have 4 9006 lights and 4 ballasts? Did I get what I was supposed to get or did they double the order? Can I put the extra lights in where my high beams go? Or should I just give the extra set to my son?
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 PM

order was correct
Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 PM

So where do I use the extra lights and ballasts?
Also, I have clear front lens on the way, I assume this will not be an issue with H.I.D's.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens