Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
My point about bubbles, cavitation, steam, voids, whatever we call it, was in support of Tom's theory above and relating to your earlier hypothesis on pressure drop boiling, which Trevor dissed.

The whole system may be equalised by a relatively small bore interconnecting pipe at the top of the heads that would bleed any superheated gassy coolant back to the better circulating right side and vent any gas to the tank. With adjustable ball valves if they are a help.

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It should be kept in mind that a limited section balance pipe, between circuits at any critical point, will balance pressure and flow. There should be terminals where one or more could be fitted, without too much strife. It is a matter of fluid mechanics, not an airy fairy mystery.
What you suggest here Trevor sounds a lot like what I mentioned earlier, and what YT is saying. I do think the core of the problem is fluid mechanics. Two separate heads being cooled by a pump on one side.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Also I agree with Tony's analysis.

Too much heat on one side, or ineffective cooling on one side, however you want to see it.

[I'm sure Tom meant to agree with Tony, not Harvey? Tom?]

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Don't like the wording, but yes I agree.

Harvey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post
Agree with Harvey here. Wording is not ideal but the idea is there. I agree that this is main focus point we need to pay attention to

Tom
Yes, do agree with both if thats what you meant

Tom
Old 10-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post
Yes, do agree with both if thats what you meant

Tom

I meant that Tony was the one who asked for a specific Agree/Don't Agree answer.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Agree. Lower flow through left bank. Probably causes local boiling.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Okay, today (it is now Sunday 6.30am) I will change the pipe on the top of the engine. Based on what we all agree if the tempreture of the left bank runs cooler then the right bank it means that the flow has become higher then the right, if on the other hand we get the same tempreture in both heads we would assume that the flow is constant. So lets see what what happens will tell you at the end of the day.
The reason for asking if everyone agrees is that we can"t flow test left and right bank that easily so we need to all agree that there is a different method to find the answer.

The Biggy for the day,
Second point I need some Hp power numbers of the standard engine at different rev, 2,000rpm, 4,000rpm, 6,000 & 8,000. I would also like them for the target engine. I have been thinking about what Rally Bob said and think we need to build a quick & dirty, Tony "type" rough computer model to show us what would happen under different scenarios. It won't matter is the Hp number are right or not just that they are indictive of the engine.
The model will deal with the follow variables and I was going to us excel.
Change in Engine Revs,
Changes in air tempreture past radiator,
Change in coolent flow rate,

If anyone feels like giving it a go please speak up, other wise I will start on it tonight. Have a great day team.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Okay, today (it is now Sunday 6.30am) I will change the pipe on the top of the engine. If anyone feels like giving it a go please speak up, other wise I will start on it tonight. Have a great day team.
Tony
What are you changing the top pipe to?
What modification have you done to the pipe?

Need To know.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:02 PM

Harvey,
Think of the moded one that Tom posted a photo of first. Haven't got the time and parts to build a "T" one today but want to see how the simple mod goes as step 1.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
One concern I have is that the standard cooling system has proven to be substandard for even a bone-stock engine that is run continuously hard (6500 rpm max).
The crux of the problem is that cooling efficiency deteriorates as RPM rise, i.e. as pressure rises. Increased pressure does not equate with an efficient increased steady cooling flow. This is not difficult to comprehend, but is being ignored. All other issues transcend this fact and should be accorded similar status, but the cart is before the horse.

The pressure does not rise at a linear rate. Cooling deteriorates accordingly on a slippery slope, at hot spots and points of resistance, as a result of increasing pressure. Balance within the system is upset to an increased degree, as a result of increased pressure. Cavitation at the pump is more likely at increased RPM, against what is a fixed resistance.

Increasing pressure in line with RPM, is surely the essence of the subject.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:11 PM

Harvey,
Forgot to ask, any ball park guess on the HP numbers, it just needs to be a best guess.
Tony
Old 10-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

A stock engine generally produces somewhere in the ballpark of 175 wheel horsepower if it is in good shape w/ a std. trans. Around 160 w/ the auto

Tom
Old 10-11-2009, 03:08 AM

Well the cross over pipe didn't fit, its to high as was suggested. I need to cut and weld to get around the problem.
Any way I will photograph the fix when done and keep you posted.
Tony

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 10-11-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Problem was sorted out by the other party fairly and I was unfair in my statement.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Crap... is he gonna pay you for it?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Registered SVX

Post edited

Last edited by dynomatt; 10-11-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Wasn't a helpful response
Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Sorry for going off before I was unfair.

Good news, I got the pipe changed this morning and drove the car to work and guess what the left and right bank were running at the same temp. It was possiable to sometimes see 1c difference but was either way, above or below right bank temp.
Other interesting thing is that the dash temp guage ran slightly lower which would indicate to me that the thermostate is functioning better.

Hooray team we have progress, we are heading in the right direction on this project.
So what next? Have a great day.
Tony