Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
Re: New Shift Kit Developed

Just a quick update: Shift kit has been installed on my daily driver for close to 3 weeks and I am absolutely loving it!

http://svxworldforums.com/forum13/585.html
2009 Subaru Forester - Mileage Junky
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2017 Ford Mustang GT 6spd
Old 06-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I have about 1 hour of time with mine and so far I like it alot. Got a long trip this weekend to really test it out. From what I have experienced thus far I am not worried at all about blowing up any driveline components. The kit is good.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
So that no one misses important news, or is not completely informed, I quote the following, which appears within the grubby forum, amongst a series of expletives.
."

So that no one misses important news, or is not completely informed,
http://www.svxworldforums.com/forum1/575-11.html
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 06-20-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

The 280 mile trip to the beach went off without a hitch. I got 25mpg (that surprised the hell out of me at the rate we were going)

I really like the highway passing downshift

The kit lets you choose how the AT shifts. It's very cool - you really have alot of control now. With your right foot you can make it shift how you want. The response is very repeatable.
I think if the whole launch hadn't been undermined - maybe if 5 people got it before it was announced so that there would have been more experience with it to prevent the mudslinging and guessing that went on you would be selling a ton of these kits.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles

Last edited by immortal_suby; 06-14-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
The 280 mile trip to the beach went off without a hitch. I got 25mpg (that surprised the hell out of me at the rate we were going)

I really like the highway passing downshift

The kit lets you choose how the AT shifts. It's very cool - you really have alot of control now. With your right foot you can make it shift how you want. The response is very repeatable.
I think if the whole launch hadn't been undermined - maybe if 5 people got it before it was announced so that there would have been more experience with it to prevent the mudslinging and guessing that went on you would be selling a ton of these kits.
Glad you like it Matt.
I like the way it sharpens up the overtaking ability of the car. I live in the country, so I don't get to use the "stop light take off" acceleration that it gives, maybe just to accelerate up the on ramp.
I think the way it kicks back a gear, really increases the safety of overtaking on the open road.

Harvey.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I think the way it kicks back a gear, really increases the safety of overtaking on the open road.

Harvey.
It grabs the gear and goes! Lots of traffic coming back from the beach today. The shifting was flawless.
Thanks Harvey
Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 AM

This seems like a pretty simple device, and probably is just a combination of the TC mod with the small car shift kit principle (with a different method of switching). I think I could get the same results with far less money, and at least then i would know precisely what it does and how.

Perhaps I am totally wrong, but if I am even close why would this cost $140? The price seems to be based more on what people are willing to pay than the cost of parts and the technology inside (case and point: small car shift kit).

This thread seems to be very much what the kit is based on:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...torque+control

Now, while i don't think this kit will help the transmission, I believe that no real measurable change in the life expectancy of the transmission or other drivetrain components will occur as long as the owner is not beating on the car.

Those spikes aren't the converter multipliying torque, its from the engine outputting its maximum for a split second straight to the wheels before the parasitic losses of the drivetrain can bog it back down. And the torque converter is not absorbing that shock, its every shaft, gear tooth axle, cv joint, etc all the way down to the road acting like a spring and soaking it up. Being that there are four axles and one pair of gears / clutches or whatever inside the trans at a time in action, the axles or something outside the trans which would be easy to replace probably won't be the first thing to fail.

This kit at wot is like dropping the clutch at full throttle between each gear. Hard driving will wear a trans equipped with this kit out VERY quickly. A responsible driver will probably be fine for a while.

Last edited by speedr; 06-16-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 AM
SVXtreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedr View Post
Perhaps I am totally wrong, but if I am even close why would this cost $140? The price seems to be based more on what people are willing to pay than the cost of parts and the technology inside (case and point: small car shift kit).
I'd already have one if they were around $99
Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 AM

I am going to putsomething together for myself which will be switchable simply to limit the added wear on my tramsmission for daily driving. I drive relatively hard and would rather have the tcu manage things properly. However, i would at times like to have a little more shifting enhancement such as if i visit the strip or hit the twisties. (like an enhanced "power" mode)

my budget for this will be about $25 and i will post my findings here. Any help members would like to offer is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Thumbs up Re: New Shift Kit Developed

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedr View Post
I am going to putsomething together for myself which will be switchable simply to limit the added wear on my tramsmission for daily driving. I drive relatively hard and would rather have the tcu manage things properly. However, i would at times like to have a little more shifting enhancement such as if i visit the strip or hit the twisties. (like an enhanced "power" mode)

my budget for this will be about $25 and i will post my findings here. Any help members would like to offer is greatly appreciated.
I wish you luck.

I find that most members don't want to take a risk in experimenting with their car. They want a unit that is designed by some one who knows that the deficiency in the standard auto is, and what changes are needed to safely overcome the problem. That is designed into a modern electronic circuitry that is reliable, problem free, posts no codes, is easy to connect, and well tested.

Harvey.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I do plan to purchase at least one but first need to replace the transmission on the '92 teal. I hope installation is somewhat idiot proof since I can blow home circuits just installing a ceiling fan. As far as cost, business is business and this is not a government handout. You either find it of value or move on.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Thank you Harvey

I love to tinker, and this has been a project which i have been looking into for a couple of months (reading through the fsm and such). Your product is basically proof of concept for me. Had it been $70 i probably would just buy it, but im not that lazy. I'd rather struggle with it for a couple of weeks, and possibly learn something (hopefully not the hard way). Besides, i need a reason for a hidden toggle switch. I know its gimicky, but toggle switches are so much fun.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Nate View Post
I'd already have one if they were around $99
If the US dollar was not so weak against the Australian dollar it would be cheaper.

Harvey.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
I do plan to purchase at least one but first need to replace the transmission on the '92 teal. I hope installation is somewhat idiot proof since I can blow home circuits just installing a ceiling fan. As far as cost, business is business and this is not a government handout. You either find it of value or move on.
Gene
It's pretty simple. You don't have to remove the TCU. Just unplug the TCU connectors you tap into, strip back the electrical tape wrapping, and snap on the quick connectors.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
If the US dollar was not so weak against the Australian dollar it would be cheaper.

Harvey.

I think you are losing more in the customs, shipping them labeled as resale items cannot be cheap.

Tom