Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2004, 11:50 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Re: Intercoolers

Quote:
Originally posted by cdigerlando

I agree. Even at about 8 psi with a turbo, it is questionable whether an intercooler helps. Definitly not needed for a supercharger at 6 psi. There is a certain amount of work required to get through an intercooler. This added backpressure causes the intercooler or turbo to run at a higher pressure. Say 2 psi loss through the intercooler. This means the turbo/super needs to run 10 psi to make 8 at the mainfold. The compressor actually runs hotter air in this case reducing the effectivness of the system. I'm sure the break is a little different for every applicaton. An A/W might be good with low losses. Also water injection.
and in a turbocharged enviornment, the 2 psi pressure drop is well worth the temperature differnce becuase of the heat . But longassname will have as efficent(and nice) of a setup as your gonna find. injectors, chip, adapter, VERYTHING you need.
phil
Old 03-31-2004, 12:07 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

What about a hood?? If you plan on cramming a Roots blower ontop of our engine, you are gonna have to do something with the hood...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-31-2004, 12:09 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
What about a hood?? If you plan on cramming a Roots blower ontop of our engine, you are gonna have to do something with the hood...
no it will squeeze in there. our upper intake is pretty tall and the blower is pretty compact. Just have to be very space concious in the design of the new intake
Old 03-31-2004, 12:30 PM

Well as most things... I'll believe it when I see it... Not knocking your work at all man... I'm just doubting that a Roots type blower will fit in there... But I would love to be proven wrong

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Well as most things... I'll believe it when I see it... Not knocking your work at all man... I'm just doubting that a Roots type blower will fit in there... But I would love to be proven wrong
it's only 5.3" tall
Old 03-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Chris,
He isn't putting it on top of the intake....he's putting it "in place" of the intake...so it will reside where the intake resides now.

Similar to the prototype Blower on the STX prototype
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-31-2004, 01:46 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

Chris,
He isn't putting it on top of the intake....he's putting it "in place" of the intake...so it will reside where the intake resides now.

Similar to the prototype Blower on the STX prototype
Ya, what the guy with the 5speed said
::Realizes how redundent that sounds:::
Old 03-31-2004, 06:06 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
oh roots style blower makes me all mysty in the pants.... how much are you expecting to sell the stage 3?? aslo can we combine a stage 3 and a stage 2 for huge hp gains?? that would be nuts, i also realize that an engine rebuild would be in order for the 2.2turbo pistons and some upgraded rods. Is there a performance crank out there for our motors? anyway also some cams couldnt jurt w/ new springs.

Hey anyone out there with a blown motor i can have so i can tear it down and rebuild for huge hp?? stage 3 would definately be incorporated with stage 2 prob dropping an svx into 11 or 12's and would be awsome.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:47 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
oh roots style blower makes me all mysty in the pants.... how much are you expecting to sell the stage 3?? aslo can we combine a stage 3 and a stage 2 for huge hp gains?? that would be nuts, i also realize that an engine rebuild would be in order for the 2.2turbo pistons and some upgraded rods. Is there a performance crank out there for our motors? anyway also some cams couldnt jurt w/ new springs.

Hey anyone out there with a blown motor i can have so i can tear it down and rebuild for huge hp?? stage 3 would definately be incorporated with stage 2 prob dropping an svx into 11 or 12's and would be awsome.
Both stage 2 and stage 3 are maxing out the abilities of both the transmission and the engine...that's why they are at the #'s they are..could be more hp if the engine and transmission could take it. The transmission question I won't get into. I'll let whoever is doing the swaps handle that in their own thread. If the STI Tranny can really take a lot of power in an svx and alex has already done it I'm sure they can kit it up. I'd like to see it.

The engine: There's no need to go using pistons from other engines the correct build is to use custom forged pistons which are what's required to run any more boost than stage 3 will. The engine also needs to be closed decked in order to run more boost. Just fYI I've already researched this and have a shop that does a lot of the 2.5 rally cars doing this. When the time comes Ill share the info. Seriously, let's not worry about this yet. And don't forget Once you get into the kind of hp were talking about when we exceed stage 3 you can count on other driveline components breaking so we'll end up having to get custom axles etc made. The idea behind stage 2 and 3 is to get radically fast without having to radically empty your wallet. Once you exceed either you're talking about massive amounts of money.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:43 PM
Superbeast

Yeah! This ****s getting crazy now.

I still want to see graphs one stage one...maybe stage two by the time you get to it.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-01-2004, 01:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
So Michael, are you actually going to attempt raising the boost, and going for some serious custom fabrication and beefing-up of engine and driveline? That is, if/when stage 3 is complete and successful (I don't want to be too dissapointed if it doesn't work out). I suppose you would have to incorporate intercooler/s then... hmm... custom body work? Is is possible to convert the EG33 to closed deck (difficult)... then you'd need some better cooling, right?

Wow, a 400+ hp SVX would be soooo awesome! <drool>

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 04-01-2004, 04:12 AM
Jedi Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mranderson

if it takes a dump at 5600 why is the rev limiter being raised higher?

and yes i am dumb so if that is a really stupid question be easy
Hmm... what he said. I mean, I understand that the auto is built to shift at 6500 rpm's or so, and that the reason the shift went higher was for the 5spd conversions... but if the max power is at 5400 rpm's (okay, he said "power band," I substituted max power, correct me if I'm wrong) then why are we going to high? IIRC, my mother's Legacy only goes up to 6700 or so... are we just optimizing the gearing a bit by allowing ourselves to drive at a higher rpm range? (fixing the reason for the STi 6-spd's extra 2nd gear, because 2nd is a dog on the course)

Did that make any sense or did it just come out as a big giant block of letters with little puncuation?
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 04-01-2004, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX

Hmm... what he said. I mean, I understand that the auto is built to shift at 6500 rpm's or so, and that the reason the shift went higher was for the 5spd conversions... but if the max power is at 5400 rpm's (okay, he said "power band," I substituted max power, correct me if I'm wrong) then why are we going to high? IIRC, my mother's Legacy only goes up to 6700 or so... are we just optimizing the gearing a bit by allowing ourselves to drive at a higher rpm range? (fixing the reason for the STi 6-spd's extra 2nd gear, because 2nd is a dog on the course)

Did that make any sense or did it just come out as a big giant block of letters with little puncuation?

I didn't understand about the STi bit... can ya elaborate???

Old 04-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Just some dude.

I'm not doing anything to raise the shift points and raising the rev limit won't make a bit of difference for an automatic svx. The rev limit raise is solely for the benefit of those who have done or are going to do conversions to manual transmissions. It will keep them from hitting the rev limit when they are on nitrous.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:48 AM
tancred

Longassname,

Do you have a ball park idea of how much stage 3 is gonna be costing?

I need to start saving my pennies....