Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: Hydra Nemesis

Couple of things

1) Does the hydra eliminate the ability to self diagnosis check engine codes? If so, how does one troubleshoot a problem with the hydra system.

2) Does the hydra provide any benefit to a completely stock engine?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Couple of things

1) Does the hydra eliminate the ability to self diagnosis check engine codes? If so, how does one troubleshoot a problem with the hydra system.

2) Does the hydra provide any benefit to a completely stock engine?
1) No it does not have self diagnostics. BUT if the car has a problem running you should be able to find the issue easily by using a laptop and looking at the readouts, or simply plugging the stock ECU back in and using that.

2) Yes I am sure it will. With the base maps, it creates a smoother power delivery. I am sure with a careful tune it would easily see gains over stock, how much? I am still unsure of.

Tom
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Allow me to expand on it a tiny bit... more from a user perspective.

I am running Hydra on a relatively stock car. With the base maps that Tom created, I noticed a significant improvement in the way the car responded under load and especially at low RPMs and in high gear. Having a manual transmission helped simulate various driving conditions and under all of them the car did not sputter like it didn't have enough "fuel" or "choking"... and performed superbly. To summarize a tiny bit... after taking the car out for a spin after the install of Hydra... my exact words to Tom were: "The car feels lighter".

Now, we did take out the car to the drag and perhaps some of you did see the numbers my car ran... It was my first time ever on the drag and having only 3 runs for the entire day didn't help... but the stock vs hydra time slips showed an entire second gain... Even with all the factors of me being inexperienced with drag and possible inconsistencies.... I strongly believe that the results correctly represent the positive gains of the Hydra.

Hydra is extremely easy to install, it took about 10-15 minutes to have the car running. Yet it is extremely sophisticated in terms of its capabilities.

With my current projects in mind I am not going to be tuning it on a dyno due to the fact that my car will be running completely different engine and other components soon.

To conclude, running static engine management such as our stock ECU and other aftermarket chips that are available makes no sense to me both financially and technically especially if you are planning on modifying your car, however, even for stock SVXs it provides the ability of properly tuning your car whether it is economy your concerned about or performance. The Hydra was, is and will be a great investement which serves as the key to unleashing the potential behind our EG33.

Soon... it won't be just words... it will be numbers...
-Sov13t.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I'll admit, I've been following this thread since the first post and at first I wasn't really aware of how the Hydra system may benefit me until now. I saw no reason for any form of tuning software or engine management system because I am not really technically or mechanically inclined what so ever when it comes to vehicles.

I'm now very excited to see how this would perform on an automatic and even more so excited to install an in car PC system to allow me to use this software.. (I know it's not necessary to have an in car PC but if I do this, I'm going to do it beautifully and integrate it into my car fully)

Very well put TomsSVX and Sov13t..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Maniac modifier

updated the first post to include pricing

Tom
Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake

Could the base maps be used without tuning? I know it would be kinda dum to buy one and then not tune it, but anyway.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake View Post
Could the base maps be used without tuning? I know it would be kinda dum to buy one and then not tune it, but anyway.
Didn't understand you at first, but yes. The car will run very nicely with the base maps, but with tuning it will run better, I am sure.

Tom
Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 PM

I don't have the money to buy this at the moment, but consider this on my "to buy" list.

I have no issues with spending my hard-earned money on a quality product that works right.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Bonus came in... gov took about 5K in taxes and utah took about 1300 but all in all still got a good chunk. So correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm looking at this right, for a hydra for my 5spd with base maps I'm looking at 1850??? ouch! It is however, a good price for what it is and the long run value. I think it'll be a good investment... is that shipped to me or is that extra???
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Yes your math is correct. That includes shipping anywhere in the lower 48 or installation

Tom
Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

ok, I might just be placing an order sometime soon. What is the lead time once ordered?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Maniac modifier

Two weeks for delivery etc...

Tom
Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Could a shop that specilizes in tuning for turbo applications (WRX, etc) tune this for a stock engine and see signifigant gains? Can we purchase your map with the Hydra for some extra $$ (the one Sov13t was talking about)?

I'm looking into this, but think it would only be worth it if I got it tuned, so I'm looking at my options.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 01-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Could a shop that specilizes in tuning for turbo applications (WRX, etc) tune this for a stock engine and see signifigant gains? Can we purchase your map with the Hydra for some extra $$ (the one Sov13t was talking about)?

I'm looking into this, but think it would only be worth it if I got it tuned, so I'm looking at my options.
Read over the first post... It will answer all your questions. It would be ideal to have a hydra tuner tune the car for optimal gains, but there is an improvement with the base maps alone.

Tom
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

since you are using map not maf does the hydra need to be retuned every time you go to a different altitude for an extended amount of time???