IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Go Riders Go!

Send a message via MSN to Canuck
Re: Every member please check in here!

Hi All,

RJ here up in the vacation capital of the world - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada!

Still have my 93 AE, just turned 80K on the odometer this weekend.

Still need to sell it (due to kids growing up, needing places to park cars yadda, yadda, yadda); but never seem to find a buyer, and not too bothered about that lol.

I check in every now and then to see whats new and to check on some familiar faces/names.
1993 25th Anniversary Edition ~74K #291

I like mine rare.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 PM

Checking in from Los Angeles area. I've got a 1992 Teal LSL with 135k. Got it from Dayle of Motorsports--Tucson fame. Last 5k...wheel bearings have been replaced, differential and differential rear mounting bushings, smallcar shift kit, batter/ignition jump upgrade, new balljoints, new wheels and tires, replaced worn seats, new antenna...shampooed and cleaned the carpets and also took the wing off and repainted.

I have 6 other cars. Nissan minivan. Audi A6 Avant. A bunch of BMW e30 (1991, 1991, 1986, 1985) cars.

I just put a new engine and a low mileage transmission into our minivan at 210k. It's like new (I've replaced close to everything on the car).

Putting low mileage engine and doing auto-manual swap on the Audi.

I have a 1985 euro 323i BMW Baur with 210k that I'm putting a low mileage engine into (car is a sort of cross between a convertible and a targa).

My level of comfort with old cars past the 200k mark, my set of tools and my understanding and competence has been growing over the last 4 years or so...and I think the SVX is a keeper for the next 5 years or so.

I think I'll sell all my BMW's (other than the Baur convertible/targa), keep the minivan and the Audi station wagon and do a 6-speed STI SVX conversion (probably on another SVX...since mine is in pretty good running shape).

I'm a bit worried about parts supply though...anyone else have that concern?

Best,

-jim d.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:55 PM

I'm Graham from Upstate SC. Just bought a 92 LS-L with 85,000 miles on it for $2800.

P.S. What would be a good, easy, and cheap first mod for my SVX? Its completely stock right now.

Last edited by little.gimpy; 11-15-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: bob
Old 11-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputymarshall View Post

I have a 1985 euro 323i BMW Baur with 210k that I'm putting a low mileage engine into (car is a sort of cross between a convertible and a targa).
Oh yeah I know that car, I have seen it also on the newer 3 series. the middle of the top until the back is soft, rare car.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Dam fellers dont know what to say stopped by the dealer to get my svx parts the other day, and there he was, Pearl White 2007 STI with a performance exhaust, that made him sound like he was ready to eat somebody. Pearl White, With Dark Dark tints, Black Chromed BBS rims. Chillin Thier with my box of parts in my hand, and couldent part with the sti. The inside was mint 20K 2007, as soon as i started it got a blood rush, beautifull interior, The sales rep came up and said, u know what why dont u trade in ure svx and finance The sti.. Turned around looked at my Svx, back to the Sti, Then back to the svx, then back to the sti again then to the svx...... and said hell no, i love the sti but this baby im keepin.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:20 PM

Just joined, i dont currently own a SVX but i would like to sell my OB and get into an SVX. Hopefully ill find all the information i need here. I have already researched the SVX so i know some of the issues that they have. I live in Boise, ID. Im excited to learn more about the car and hopefully have one of my own soon. Here is my current ride.

Last edited by csweston; 11-15-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM

Hi, just checking in, sorry it took so long. currently i own a 94 svx ls, black, stock conditions, for little of nothin. currently the car is waiting for me to put the 98 rs 5 speed tranny in it and get back on the road. Looking foward to working with all who is here
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 AM

Registered SVX

My name is Chuck, and I am addicted to import sport compacts. I have been a member on this site since I realized I was going to be the proud owner of an SVX. I had a 240SX (check my site on CarDomain - same user name) that was sorrowfully lost in an accident. The insurance company gave me a decent settlement and I immediately started looking to fill the void. It was B-Rad that actually indirectly introduced me to the SVX. (Thanks for the note!) A while ago I saw his car on base and was so amazed I went straight to a computer and did some research. After the loss of my 240SX I remembered the SVX, did a couple of online searches and found the perfect candidate. She is in really good shape. Got some bumps and bruises but mechanically sound. The decals were my addition to take the attention away from the dings and scrapes. I went with a simple design because the car itself is so unique. Looking forward to sharing my experience here with the rest of the forum.

BTW browsing the member list I noticed a lot of Devil Dogs here - Semper Fi!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Hello from Long Island NY just bought a 92 silver SVX LS. Surprisingly,it's in great shape aside from some minor dings and paint scratches, also runs great. I'm so glad I found this forum. It already answered some of my questions about why the security switch light is solid red, and leak from power steering. I'm planning on replacing the o ring this weekend. It's only been a week and I already put new tires, remote start and alarm system (still working on getting the keyless entry/power locks to work) on the SVX. My wife said I've been ignoring my Harley because I got a new toy...LOL.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:48 AM
It's pronounced "Bee Rad."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntzz View Post
My name is Chuck, and I am addicted to import sport compacts. I have been a member on this site since I realized I was going to be the proud owner of an SVX. I had a 240SX (check my site on CarDomain - same user name) that was sorrowfully lost in an accident. The insurance company gave me a decent settlement and I immediately started looking to fill the void. It was B-Rad that actually indirectly introduced me to the SVX. (Thanks for the note!) A while ago I saw his car on base and was so amazed I went straight to a computer and did some research. After the loss of my 240SX I remembered the SVX, did a couple of online searches and found the perfect candidate. She is in really good shape. Got some bumps and bruises but mechanically sound. The decals were my addition to take the attention away from the dings and scrapes. I went with a simple design because the car itself is so unique. Looking forward to sharing my experience here with the rest of the forum.

BTW browsing the member list I noticed a lot of Devil Dogs here - Semper Fi!
Glad to see you made it, dude. I couldn't beleive there was another SVX on base either when a couple of my friends told me about it. Welcome aboard.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Fairmont State University
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

My name is Elazar. i'm a new member here. I've had my eye on on these svx's for a while, drove a few, wanted one for a long time. i finally got one a few months ago, '94 LSi. I'm never content with any of my cars stock and alway looking for upgrades and aftermarket. just lookin here to see what all is possible to do to mine. I'm in Iraq right now so won't be able to play with it for about another year when i get back. don't really have any input or knowledge to post, just keeping an eye on what everyone else is doin.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Found a lost SVX

Good morning SVX freaks!

My name is Sanosuke, you can call me Sano. I live in AZ but I am from N/E PA. I am 20 years old and have been in love with the SVX since '91, since I was four. My mother and father had a Subaru wagon that was slowly giving out, so my mom bought a '92 SVX for my dad to replace it. I years later, 170k later, bought the car from my dad to force him into a more comfortable Forester XT. I bought a WRX for myself last year but always wanted the "Shvex." I had my chance and gave my dad an offer of $22, he took it. MAJOR WIN! Well the car is messed up. My dad did not take the time or care that I wish he did. I need to do a lot of work, but I plan on pushing this thing to the brink, and maybe beyond. I am transferring the title soon and will begin work on it as soon as I get the extra cash.

(The Doors are rusted on the inside too, I checked the bottom flange on the inside it is rusty. It is a miracle the electronics still work.)

(Not his fault.)

(Need both rear quarter panels.)

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
Good morning SVX freaks!

Cooper Lifeliner SLE tires for the win!! I've put a TON of those tires on in my day! lol

Good luck with fixing everything up, by the way! I'm sure you're in for a long road, but I know it'll be worth it when you're all done.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:06 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
Good morning SVX freaks!

My name is Sanosuke, you can call me Sano. I live in AZ but I am from N/E PA. I am 20 years old and have been in love with the SVX since '91, since I was four. My mother and father had a Subaru wagon that was slowly giving out, so my mom bought a '92 SVX for my dad to replace it. I years later, 170k later, bought the car from my dad to force him into a more comfortable Forester XT. I bought a WRX for myself last year but always wanted the "Shvex." I had my chance and gave my dad an offer of $22, he took it. MAJOR WIN! Well the car is messed up. My dad did not take the time or care that I wish he did. I need to do a lot of work, but I plan on pushing this thing to the brink, and maybe beyond. I am transferring the title soon and will begin work on it as soon as I get the extra cash.

(The Doors are rusted on the inside too, I checked the bottom flange on the inside it is rusty. It is a miracle the electronics still work.)

(Not his fault.)

(Need both rear quarter panels.)
Wow! That's a really rusty SVX! Scary!

Hi Sano and welcome. Fixing up that car should be a labour of love because it won't be economical. If you look at the Workshop manual, you will see that those rear wings are the biggest panels on the vehicle. They stretch right up to the top of the rear screen, which is bonded in. You will have major labor charges to replace those.

Best of luck with it if that's the way you are going. Those blue cars are beautiful and certainly worth saving.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-24-2008, 03:41 AM
Sold. :'-(

Yeah, I wasn't going to mention it, but since it's been brought up; it would be much less expensive to buy a non-rusty car as a starting point.
I know from past experience that diving into a new project that is unnecessarily expensive can really turn you off to that model entirely. It would be a shame for someone with newfound SVX-mania to hate tese cars in a year because of a project that was too big to tackle.

I wish you the best in your endeavor, just think it through (and throw away your receipts...Never add up your expense!) before you get in too deep.

~M
Raxles front axles