You are on!!!!
I just hope it isn't a dry county.

Larry III
Old 09-14-2001, 07:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

(Just to let you know, you have become a "legend" among my son's friends -- it is a sad day indeed. )
Oh no, "A legend in my own mind".

Larry III
Old 09-14-2001, 07:43 AM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII

You are on!!!!

Larry III
Dry county? In West Virginny???

Meet you in the "BAH" . . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 09-14-2001, 07:44 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Quote:
Originally posted by cocacola08
Photo #2:

This is a photo of Firemen raising a flag on the WTC.
As I am too young to remember vietnam, let alone WWII.

But in my eyes, this is the "Iwo Jima" of my generation.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Aparently I wasn't the only one who felt this way. The last thing I heard last night was that people are considering this the "Iwo Jima" of the younger generation.
Old 09-14-2001, 07:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
So far I'm glad everyone's friends are safe at the Pentagon.
My old company has/had a 180 man office on the 92nd floor of the north tower of the WTC. So far 60 are missing. I probably know some of them. Phone service to/from NYC is marginal at best. As I find out more I'll keep you guys posted.

Larry III
Old 09-14-2001, 08:00 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
NYC

Sad, sad news about your friends in your old company Larry, we will continue to pray for all families concerned.

We had a special Mass this morning at 10 for all concerned, I have never seen so many people at any event here, the spill-over was everywhere. There was three minutes' silence at 11 AM also, and this silence echoed all around Europe.

We should pray for strength, courage, and above all, success for the rescue services people. A guy at Mass was wearing a NYFD tee shirt. He told me it was his friend's shirt, who is presumed lost. Terrible world

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-14-2001, 08:09 AM
Headed to Texas...

Saw the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace on TV this morning . . . the band played "The Star-Spangled Banner", which was just unprecedented . . . at the direction of the Queen.

Brought goose-bumps and tears to my eyes . . .

As horrible as the attacks were, it is just breathtaking at the show of unity at home and abroad . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 09-14-2001, 08:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
So far I'm glad everyone's friends are safe at the Pentagon.
My old company has/had a 180 man office on the 92nd floor of the north tower of the WTC. So far 60 are missing. I probably know some of them. Phone service to/from NYC is marginal at best. As I find out more I'll keep you guys posted.

Larry III
I'm sorry to hear about that, Larry. Please do keep us posted.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-14-2001, 08:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Quote:

You are on!!!!

Larry III
I think I may something to conrtribute to that, left over from last April.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Verizon's status on the attack

LONG......

Here are a couple of company emails, sent to all our employees.....BTW @ this point we are missing 10 employees.

SEIDENBERG, BABBIO UPDATES ON CRISIS
During a press conference this afternoon, Larry Babbio, vice chairman and president-Telecom, said the company had accounted for almost all of the nearly 500 Verizon employees who worked at the World Trade Center in New York and the 40 employees assigned to the Pentagon.

He also said that all employees working at our West Street and Broad Street facilities in close proximity to the World Trade Center had been evacuated safely during the attack on the twin towers.

In a broadcast voice mail to employees, Co-CEO Ivan Seidenberg said Verizon is doing "everything we can to find and protect every single employee who is involved in this," but, he added, "we are fairly sure" that there have been fatalities. He said families of missing employees had been contacted.

Seidenberg said "we extend a prayer" to the employees and families affected by Tuesday's tragic events. He also said he wished to "reach out to all of you and let you know that every employee has -- and will -- act with a sense of purpose, and donate their time and support" during this national crisis.

In answer to a question from the media, Babbio said that the safety of employees and continued service to customers are Verizon's focus at this time, and that the cost of recovery and lost business will be calculated later.

He said Verizon's networks continued to serve customers Wednesday as the company handled nearly 340 million calls in New York and Washington -- nearly double the normal volume.

Babbio also said Verizon is making special provisions to provide service in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania where the hijacked jetliners crashed. Verizon is offering free local phone calls from sidewalk pay phones in New York City, and enabling those phones to receive incoming calls. The company has also handed out about 5,000 wireless phones to emergency workers at all three locations, courtesy of Verizon Wireless.

He reported that restoration efforts are under way in New York, where facilities were destroyed or threatened by the collapse of the World Trade Center towers and the resulting fires and loss of power.

Emergency generators are being temporarily installed to power the switches at 140 West Street, in the immediate vicinity of the fallen towers, Babbio said. And three temporary cell sites are being installed in south Manhattan for wireless communication.

Hundreds of thousands of lines and several million private circuits are out of commission at the West Street and Broad Street offices serving the financial district in Manhattan. But some traffic is being re-routed and virtually all of the businesses and residences served by those lines are
vacant or destroyed, Babbio said.

Provisioning of DSL service has also been affected in New York and New England due to the shut down of facilities in the stricken area.

Because of damage from fallen debris, fires, water, and dirt, Babbio said the recovery in New York will likely be a prolonged process.

At the Pentagon, Babbio said service is nearly normal, although there are reports that our switching equipment there is still threatened by persistent fires.

At the crash site in southwest Pennsylvania, Babbio said Verizon Wireless has brought in a portable cell site and the company is providing other facilities as needed by emergency workers.

Seidenberg said there is tremendous pressure in New York and Washington to return daily life to normal as quickly as possible. He thanked employees for their support in answering that need, by maintaining service under high demand and moving rapidly to restore facilities.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:16 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxter

I think I may something to conrtribute to that, left over from last April.
Surely it'll have to be the Scotch or the Tennessee stuff. You couldn't have possibly have let that superior KY bourbon languish for, lo, these many months.

(Frankly, I have about one shot of the Ouzo that Ekatrina brought me to the VT meet)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-14-2001, 12:39 PM

This thread has quickly become 3rd in # of posts.

#1 Snowshoe planning thread..upcoming meets (195)
#2 Japanese parts..general babble (158)

This make 146 in this thread, and in only 3 days! In my opinion just a testament to how this has affected everyone!
Old 09-14-2001, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Editorial (long)

This is an article by Leonard Pitts, a columnist from The Miami Herald. It appeared Wednesday, September 12, 2001:

We'll go forward from this moment. It's my job to have something to say. They pay me to provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.

You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard. What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you failed.

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, social, political and class division, but a family nonetheless.

We're frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae-a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon mouse. We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though-peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God.

Some people-you, perhaps-think that any or all of this makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals.

IN PAIN
Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some Hollywood block-buster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy
novel.

Both in terms of the awful scope of their ambition and the probable final death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the United States and, probably, the history of the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before. But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us fall.
This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt and monumental pain.

When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force. When provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering, pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice. I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you, I think, do not. What I
know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

In the days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably determined.

THE STEEL IN US
You see, the steel in us is not always readily apparent. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold. As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish.

So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It occurs to me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received.

And take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You don't know what we're capable of. You don't know what you just started.

But you're about to learn.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-14-2001, 02:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I've read that article over and over this week. The author echos my own thoughts precisely.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-14-2001, 02:27 PM

Another wonderful article......