Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
ECUtuner software and Select Monitor Interface

This post is just a place holder to start the thread so I can make links to it. I'm going to go ahead and release the ECUtuner software. I haven't gotten a chance to add in the table editing or ROM emulation features yet but the software already has more functionality than a Subaru Select Monitor, namely:

1)check and clear trouble codes
2)monitor all the same parameters a select monitor can
3)download the firmware from any compatible control unit (ie: any obd1 Subaru ECU or TCU, older polaris watercraft and snow mobiles, older harley davidsons, etc)

What is the ECUtuner software? It's a windows application. I wrote it/am writing it in Microsoft Visual Studio c sharp. It should work on any laptop with any dot net enabled Microsoft Windows operating system and a USB port. It also requires an appropriate interface cable.

What is the appropriate interface cable? An FTDI TTL-232R-5V plus an ECUtune OBDI inferface with a Subaru Select Monitor plug on it.

The ECUtune OBD1 interface with the Subaru Select Monitor Plug on it is available for $79 on the ECUtune website: http://www.ecutune.com/ecutuner.htm

The TTL-232R-5V is available on the FTDI website: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cab...BTTLSerial.htm

You will also need to download and install the d2xx drivers while you are there: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

How much does the ECUtuner software cost? It's free to use. How much product support should I expect or demand from its author, Michael Emery? None. You guys will have to help eachother if and when you run into problems and hopefully you will develop a community knowledgebase both to guide new comers and to spur future developments.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: ECUtuner software and Select Monitor Interface

This sounds awesome and is something I'm really looking forward to.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Just some dude.

Ok, it's posted. Get your interface and download your copy of ECUtuner here: http://www.ecutune.com/ECUtuner.htm
Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

No OBDII version? Are 96-97 svxi doomed to stock ECUs for all of time?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:40 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
No OBDII version? Are 96-97 svxi doomed to stock ECUs for all of time?
Almost. I think a Hydra will work on them too. Also you can technically run anything on a megasquirt if you can calibrate the sensors for it but it would probably be too difficult to keep it an automatic.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Almost. I think a Hydra will work on them too. Also you can technically run anything on a megasquirt if you can calibrate the sensors for it but it would probably be too difficult to keep it an automatic.
Couldn't someone build an OBD2 cable that would interface to this board and the SSM pins on the OBD2 port?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Just some dude.

I don't know a whole lot about the obd2 cars. I don't have one. I belive Phil has examined the obd2 firmware and select monitor firmware and may have insights about them but I coudln't tell you what they are.

So anyway, for now at least we have all the capabilities of a select monitor and then some for the majority of SVXs.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Thank you Michael. That is a great service for the SVX Community!

We now need to download it and give it a try.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 06-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Just some dude.

Thanks Earl,

I'm going to make some rudimentary instructions soon and will include this there when I do but for now......

There are some computers now that may have .net 4.0 installed without any of the prior versions of the .net framework installed. For some reason unknown to me (and some other programmers like at amd/ati) these computers will throw an error when you try to run some .net applications specifying earlier versions of the .net framework in their config files. You need to have the earlier versions of .net installed to run the ECUtuner application. If you have such a computer you can download the complete .net 3.5 installation package which includes 2.0, 3.0, & 3.5 from microsoft using the following link: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe
Old 06-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Mike,

If working on OBD2 versions of stuff is impractical, how about taking an OBD2 car and swapping out both the ECU and TCU to the earlier versions with your updated chips? Is that possible?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The first bit of trouble with that comes into play for guys like you and me who have to plug OBD-II cars into the State computer come inspection time.

The Hydra 2.7 that's just been released supposedly is OBD-II compliant. Whether that just means that it's happy to work with CEL codes or that it will also satisfy inspection requirements, I can't say.

What I can say is, it's good to be OBD-I!!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Just some dude.

Hey Tony,

Sure it's possible but you're talking about either changing wiring harnesses or making wiring harness adapters. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do that unless they had a dire need to. It's likely the obd2 control units are flashable and it's likely someone will figure out how to do it someday.

I hate to see the desire for obd2 support overshadow what is available for the obd1 cars. I certainly understand why someone who has an obd2 svx would want to be able to use the ECUtuner software and it's completely possible I can make the ECUtuner software support it. Unfortunately I don't have time to look into it right now. I don't have the 97 factory service manual update book to even look at the wiring schematic. I don't have a select monitor II. I don't have a 97 SVX or access to one. And when I do get time to turn my attention back to the ECUtuner software I will want to finish the table editing and emulation functionality before considering looking into supporting obd2 SVXs.

So while I understand and sympathize with the obd2 owners wanting this kind of thing for their cars and even encourage you to work towards that end you guys need to take the task upon yourselves. If I were you i'd start your own thread in the engine managment section of mod mania. Get the applicable parts of the wiring schematic from the 96 and or 97 fsm update books posted. Look into the interfaces and software people are using on other obd2 SVXs..etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Mike,

If working on OBD2 versions of stuff is impractical, how about taking an OBD2 car and swapping out both the ECU and TCU to the earlier versions with your updated chips? Is that possible?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Hey Tony,

Sure it's possible but you're talking about either changing wiring harnesses or making wiring harness adapters. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do that unless they had a dire need to. It's likely the obd2 control units are flashable and it's likely someone will figure out how to do it someday.
Crap. That's what I feared you would say. I guess I need to continue to push my 13 year old geek to get moving on this. He loves his Droid, loves computers and will be inheriting this SVX some day. That should be motivation enough. I will start that thread and start gathering the relevant information. If he and I can design the cable/interface for OBDII/SSMII and he can design the software for Droid, he can sell it on ebay and probably add a nice chunk of money to his college savings.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Mike are we able to work some sort of magic and use your piggy back boards in the ECU change the chip to a Ram and then be able to write new fuel maps etc?
Or is it just all to complicated and easier to swap ECUs?
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Just some dude.

To make custom changes to your ECU firmware you would do the same thing I do. Edit a copy of the firmware on your pc, write that firmware to a ROM chip, install that ROM chip into one of my memory adapters, and install that memory adapter into your ECU.

To edit the firmware which the ECU is using while you are running the engine you have to use a device called an emulator. An emulator emulates a ROM chip but is really a more complicated piece of hardware which you communicate with from your pc. Emulators pretty much all emulate 8 bit ROMs so to use one with an SVX you need to have a memory adapter like my original style which uses two 8 bit ROMs (which I believe you do have). Then you need two emulators. I am going to make the ECUtuner software work with 2 ostrich emulators from moates.net but haven't written in that functionality yet. It will be nice to have but not having that ability doesn't stop you from making your own custom tunes. Most of the time you're better off making your changes at the comfort of your favorite workstation and then testing them on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Mike are we able to work some sort of magic and use your piggy back boards in the ECU change the chip to a Ram and then be able to write new fuel maps etc?
Or is it just all to complicated and easier to swap ECUs?
Tony

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: