How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Finally picked up my 96 SVX. Temp gauge moves around a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
You know, I think some of you are simply sadistic and want to see other people in pain. Nothing funny about that. If you want to be helpful, how about giving me an idea of what the cost should be IF I need a gasket replacement. Since so many of you have had them done, there should be plenty of data.

The mechanic said the car looked solid and ordered a new thermostat and radiator cap. The flush and thermostat change will happen tomorrow. Then I will know for sure if there is still a thermostat in there and if it was the issue.

Thanks to those who have given good advice and well wishes.
Good on you for calling a spade a spade. I have been watching this thread with concern and am pleased that you have relied on common sense and have not become wrongly influenced.

There has been an ongoing tendency within the technical section, for the worst scenario to be given maximum space, when the logical approach is to first eliminate what could be simple inexpensive issues. It would appear that some are intent on only exploring the most complicated possibilities, on the basis of illustrating their alleged know how. As a result they achieve the opposite and more importantly the thread becomes detrimental to the member asking for genuine assistance.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Good on you for calling a spade a spade. I have been watching this thread with concern and am pleased that you have relied on common sense and have not become wrongly influenced.

There has been an ongoing tendency within the technical section, for the worst scenario to be given maximum space, when the logical approach is to first eliminate what could be simple inexpensive issues. It would appear that some are intent on only exploring the most complicated possibilities, on the basis of illustrating their alleged know how. As a result they achieve the opposite and more importantly the thread becomes detrimental to the member asking for genuine assistance.
Maybe you are different than I on this, but as long as multiple ideas are explored, and other possibilities mentioned at least once, I would MUCH rather expect the worst and then find out that its not as bad as I thought.... than thinking oh its minor and finding out I need to have the engine yanked and get a massive repair bill.

A lot of differing ideas were mentioned up front, along with suggestions he TEST for a HG leak also, so I dont think anyone was trying to scare him or be a "spade" lol. Given the amount of HG failures experienced nowadays, and the symptoms that clue in on this as a cause, it wasnt out of line to suggest this as a likely culprit.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Well said Trevor! Great contribution... I am sure Huskymaniac can print that out and take it to the bank. Better still, maybe the repair shop will take it and apply it to the final bill for the Head Gasket job.
Trevor, your futile attempt to put everyone down is always a failure because none of us actually care what you think!

Huskymaniac, when anyone on this form posts a problem, the majority have compassion for them and will do their best to try to find a way to make it better. I know that I am certainly in that category.

My comment was from personal experience. I went through the "head gasket thing" and carefully analyzed ever function, with a lot of help from this form, to determine the problem.

I wasn't in a position at that time to pay the big bucks to get it repaired properly, and that was my only transportation, so I changed the head gasket only on one side of the engine myself. I did that without even pulling the engine or loosening the exhaust from the head. I did however, loosen the intake manifold and actually take the bolts out on the side of the head that I was working on. I realized that this would be a temporary fix.

I had no way of knowing which side was causing the problem, but that turned out to be the one. (we pray a lot)

I knew it would probably be a temporary fix and after 20K+ miles of great performance, the problem started again... but not as severe. I have no clue if it is the side I replaced that is causing the problem now or not. I cannot do the other side without pulling the engine. I have no equipment to do that and at 80 years of age, I have to pace myself.

I can drive it without any appreciable fluid loss as long as the weather is cool but on a day over 70, I loose a little fluid. Hotter days will cause a bigger volume of fluid. loss.

We now have two other fantastic SVX's, thank the Lord, so for hot days... we pick one of those.

Huskymaniac, I seriously doubt that anyone is rejoicing because of your predicament. We all pull for each other. Take care and good luck with your SVX!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 08-06-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Only thing wrong with this statement so far is that you haven't a clue what the problem actually is, Trevor. You are just like Obama... Keep your eyes on your "teleprompter" Never say anything that could be mistaken for substance.

Keith
Old 08-12-2010, 01:19 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Only thing wrong with this statement so far is that you haven't a clue what the problem actually is, Trevor. You are just like Obama... Keep your eyes on your "teleprompter" Never say anything that could be mistaken for substance.

Keith
(N,B. I carry on this dribble only because the text has become so stupid that it now has a humorous aspect, which probably means that it is providing general entertainment.)

Hooooray Keith. ---

Desperate, you have searched diligently from way back and have dragged up substance in the form of post No. #38. “Senility” is surely going back and forward endlessly, in the hope of discovering an opportunity to again become a fool. The problem is that in an effort to remove the substance, sly abbreviation of my the post is proven. Not honest. Not nice.

I have no qualms about being compared with the president of the US.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
I have no qualms about being compared with the president of the US.
I rest my case!

Keith
Old 08-12-2010, 03:08 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I rest my case!

Keith
We can all now thank Obama for that!