SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Re: subaru lover's motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Enough with the plastic that is more fitting on a Kia then a BMW cycle. Then again they both buy their plastic bits from the slave labor state of China so I guess it is okay. Bimmer bikes stopped being made in my mind around the time hair bands cutting their hair. As much as I like the new inline with insane power I simply won't buy a product that was built in China.
Funny, this bike looks like it has a lot of plastic on it... and it is a 1985. The other is a 2010 R1200R... with fairly minimal plastic.

While I agree with your stance on exploitation, I am not so sure that BMW bikes are made in China, and plastic parts can be built anywhere, including Germany. Not all of them are de-facto made in china.

Although, unfortunately, or necessarily... there are a billion people in that country, and some of them are employed, under a communistic government that manages industry, building pieces and components that go into just about everything, regardless of where final assembly takes place. Boycotting every molecule out of china would be a forced fast against pretty much everything aside from locally grown food.

What I don't get is why people think it is so fantastic to start implementing central planning, and eviscerating equal individual rights and freedoms in the US, trying to take us politically, and economically toward china's direction. But that is a discussion for another thread in another forum.

BMW bikes are still BMW bikes. Anything can be parsed down to find a point of contention, or otherwise taken with a grain of salt and pragmatic reality.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 07-11-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Funny, this bike looks like it has a lot of plastic on it... and it is a 1985. The other is a 2010 R1200R... with fairly minimal plastic.

While I agree with your stance on exploitation, I am not so sure that BMW bikes are made in China, and plastic parts can be built anywhere, including Germany. Not all of them are de-facto made in china.

Although, unfortunately, or necessarily... there are a billion people in that country, and some of them are employed, under a communistic government that manages industry, building pieces and components that go into just about everything, regardless of where final assembly takes place. Boycotting every molecule out of china would be a forced fast against pretty much everything aside from locally grown food.

What I don't get is why people think it is so fantastic to start implementing central planning, and eviscerating equal individual rights and freedoms in the US, trying to take us politically, and economically toward china's direction. But that is a discussion for another thread in another forum.

BMW bikes are still BMW bikes. Anything can be parsed down to find a point of contention, or otherwise taken with a grain of salt and pragmatic reality.
BMW has invested heavily in China. That's where their new flagship crotch rocket engine is made. Sure there were some platic atrocities in the 80s under the bimmer name but overall they were still building nice, solid performing standards that looked like motorcycles, not something that looks like it came from German designers who thought that since they slept with an Italian hooker they understood how to design a pretty bike. BMW has always been about engineering not about design. Now they think they can design too.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
BMW has invested heavily in China. That's where their new flagship crotch rocket engine is made. Sure there were some platic atrocities in the 80s under the bimmer name but overall they were still building nice, solid performing standards that looked like motorcycles, not something that looks like it came from German designers who thought that since they slept with an Italian hooker they understood how to design a pretty bike. BMW has always been about engineering not about design. Now they think they can design too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post

All BMW motorcycles are "assembled" in Berlin.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
"assembled"
Nuff said

Triumph is going the same way too opening up factories in the far east.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Nuff said

Triumph is going the same way too opening up factories in the far east.
Just like all X5's, X6's, and soon to be X3's are assembled here in Plant Spartanburg.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)

Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 PM

lol... spartanburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post

Just like all X5's, X6's, and soon to be X3's are assembled here in Plant Spartanburg.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92_LSL View Post
lol... spartanburg.
That's a big woosh for me