IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Registered SVX
Re: US over to europan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It most certainly is the case if the current approach is to be pursued. Was nothing properly sorted in advance of the transmission being supplied? Was nothing properly understood? What else can be wrong? What a B mess.

P.S. After sifting among the mess, am I to understand that an inductive sensor is now fitted, in lieu of Hall Effect sensor, i.e. both types of transducer, are expected to operate properly, from/within the same, existing, magnetic field? Is there in fact documentary evidence, that the three wire sensor is a Hall Effect device, and if not what evidence is available?
Please Tom,

I am doing my best to help Alex out of his jamb, but I do not have access to any data or physical evidence relative to the US system.

What activates the external transducer/sensor in the US transmission, e.g. a gear tooth, magnetic component or what?

Thanks in anticipation, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Please Tom,

I am doing my best to help Alex out of his jamb, but I do not have access to any data or physical evidence relative to the US system.

What activates the external transducer/sensor in the US transmission, e.g. a gear tooth, magnetic component or what?

Thanks in anticipation, Trevor.
It is a helical gear drive that is mounted on the side of the carrier in the front differential. There is a shaft that runs up to the speed sensor mounted on the diff.

Tom
Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
It is a helical gear drive that is mounted on the side of the carrier in the front differential. There is a shaft that runs up to the speed sensor mounted on the diff.

Tom
Special thanks Tom,

Post #6 Harvey.
He has done the No.2 speed sensor swap Phil, so it is set up to run with the VTD TCU

Post #75 Tom
My bet is going to be he has a 2 wire VSS2 in the trans now because that is what the Legacy used, he is going to need an SVX style sensor

You were on the money Tom. As I see it still another error was made, and the speed sensor originally in the transmission supplied by Jason, should have been retained. Or was this a Legacy sensor and not suitable?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Special thanks Tom,

Post #6 Harvey.
He has done the No.2 speed sensor swap Phil, so it is set up to run with the VTD TCU

Post #75 Tom
My bet is going to be he has a 2 wire VSS2 in the trans now because that is what the Legacy used, he is going to need an SVX style sensor

You were on the money Tom. As I see it still another error was made, and the speed sensor originally in the transmission supplied by Jason, should have been retained. Or was this a Legacy sensor and not suitable?
It would not have worked anyway.

Tom
Old 08-21-2009, 04:30 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
It would not have worked anyway.

Tom
--------- the transmission supplied by Jason, should have been retained. Or was this a Legacy sensor and not suitable?"

I am trying to ascertain whether the sensor Alex has in the transmission as supplied, must be replaced, and if so, exactly what he should fit. i.e. would the Legacy sensor, originally in the transmission, not be suitable; e.g. if Jason sent this free of charge, as he should do, would this match the US TCU now being installed?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Maniac modifier

No, the two wire legacy sensor is not compatible to the 3 wire SVX TCU. I believe the 2 wire is a hall effect sensor while the 3 wire is an inductive found on newer models. They are pretty pricey new but easy to find used as just about all Subarus with an external speedo like it use our sensor post model year '99

Tom
Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
No, the two wire legacy sensor is not compatible to the 3 wire SVX TCU. I believe the 2 wire is a hall effect sensor while the 3 wire is an inductive found on newer models. They are pretty pricey new but easy to find used as just about all Subarus with an external speedo like it use our sensor post model year '99

Tom
As i have no details on the US stuff I am much confused. The 2 wire sensor is unlikely to be a Hall effect sensor, as a voltage must be supplied and would indicate 3 wires. When a Legacy trans. is used as an SVX replacement, is the sensor changed for a 3 wire SVX TCU? I have never seen this mentioned and presumed that a change was not required.