Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: The people have spoken!

Please note that Adam Smith referred to "enlightened self interest." This implies a recognition that the preservation of the playing field is necessary for the game to continue. Plain old self interest would allow a scorched earth winner take all game plan, which is what we now have to some extent. Unfortunately, such tactics are not sustainable, and we wind up with economic melt-down.

Our laws trying to regulate monpolies were the first recognition that people and corporations don't play fair. If unfettered, many people and corporations would exploit their economic advantage to destroy all of their competition. They then could be in a position to control pricing to their customers and the costs of their suppliers. Then the invisble hand is totally shackled,

Look at the adulteration of food in China with melamine to make it seem to have a greater protein content. Unfortunately, melamine is poison. The Chinese capitalists don't care, however, if their customers die; there are plenty more where those came from.

Perhaps the confusion is a strict definition of "honesty." Maybe players can lie a little bit without destroying the game, but they can't pursue absolute victory in the marketplace by any means necessary to the extent that the marketplace is destroyed.

Regulation by government seems to be the only effective mechanism for keeping the playing field viable. By the way, "seems to work quite well", I think, refers only to capitalism that is very much restrained by regulation. Otherwise, chaos. Granted that government employees have honesty problems of their own. Mostly those take the form of the players buying the referees to subvert the rules of the game. In other words, a major problem with government regulation is when the regulated buy the regulators to get around the regulations. Just further proof that unimpeachable regulation is the only guarantee of a free marketplace.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold

Last edited by shotgunslade; 11-07-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
I prefer good Scotch to good beer. Different tastes make the world go round.
No questions there, but rest assured that I'll be drinking a Labatt's Blue tonight at the hockey game in my hometown, the snowiest noteworthy city in the United States.

DISCLAIMER: Read the final quote in this post first, people!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
I must say that I and many other people didn't vote for Obama because he was black
Taking things out of context can make for nasty results. Original quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
I must say that I and many other people didn't vote for Obama because he was black,but because after 43 others before him I feel he is best for the job at this day in time.
Be careful! GoogleBot results don't always print whole sentences!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 AM

Registered SVX

I have read this entire thread (among others on the same or similar topics) and have not yet had time to inject my 2 cents worth. I am now taking the time.

To Alan: Your analogy of the President to a grocery store manager/CEO is again comparing apples and oranges, as someone alluded to previously. The President, like the Queen, has limited power and relies on advisors who are much more knowledgeable to help them make decisions.

To Nate: The Housing Acts, just like the trade unions, were designed to help people who were getting screwed by "the man" or "the system". When I was younger and single, I still had to have a co-signer for a lease (not even a mortgage!) because the rent was more than 35% of my salary. My credit was excellent and the Property Management company had no reason to believe that I could not or would not pay my rent. I had NEVER been late on ANY payment in my life; however my credit history was short. The only criteria they had were the statistics that showed that 35% was all the average person could safely afford to pay for housing. The fact that those safeguards were disregarded and/or abandoned was the direct result of greed -- nobody did their homework because they (the mortgage brokers and the like) got paid whether the mortgage failed or not.

I have had my fill of "trickle down" economics; tax ALL income the same, including income not worked for (i.e. capital gains); eliminate deductions people receive just because they CHOOSE to own property or have children -- if they feel they can afford it/them, then THEY should pay for it/them, not me.

The problem with the political system (in my opinion), as people have heard me say before, is that in order to be elected to any kind of office, no matter how low, one has to garner favors which must be repaid at some point. By the time a politician works his/her way up to higher offices, they owe BIG TIME. The system is corrupt and the "players" are corrupted by it. It is one reason so many of us look toward the "newcomers", hoping they are less corrupt than the veterans of the game.

I'm sure there is much more to all of this than any of us know, but with our limited knowledge (and yes, I did SOME homework before I voted), we are all still free to form and voice our own opinions. THAT is what STILL makes this country great.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 11-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady View Post

To Alan: Your analogy of the President to a grocery store manager/CEO is again comparing apples and oranges, as someone alluded to previously. The President, like the Queen, has limited power and relies on advisors who are much more knowledgeable to help them make decisions.
doe he have enough wisdom and experience to choose the right advisors?

the grocery store CEO also has advisors, but i still don't think a two-year cashier should be running the whole show.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:

To Nate: The Housing Acts, just like the trade unions, were designed to help people who were getting screwed by "the man" or "the system".
I agree, the first round ones signed were! But the second time the new one came around it was about greed and it was banks pushing politicians to get it passed. What makes it worse is that there were attempts to regulate Fannie May and Freddie Mac but certain politicians shot it down real quick. Some foresaw the "housing market crash" but at the time counter measures stopped it.

Regardless I do feel we need change in our system but not the change he offers.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 11-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
I have read this entire thread (among others on the same or similar topics) and have not yet had time to inject my 2 cents worth. I am now taking the time.

To Nate: The Housing Acts, just like the trade unions, were designed to help people who were getting screwed by "the man" or "the system". When I was younger and single, I still had to have a co-signer for a lease (not even a mortgage!) because the rent was more than 35% of my salary. My credit was excellent and the Property Management company had no reason to believe that I could not or would not pay my rent. I had NEVER been late on ANY payment in my life; however my credit history was short. The only criteria they had were the statistics that showed that 35% was all the average person could safely afford to pay for housing. The fact that those safeguards were disregarded and/or abandoned was the direct result of greed -- nobody did their homework because they (the mortgage brokers and the like) got paid whether the mortgage failed or not.

I have had my fill of "trickle down" economics; tax ALL income the same, including income not worked for (i.e. capital gains); eliminate deductions people receive just because they CHOOSE to own property or have children -- if they feel they can afford it/them, then THEY should pay for it/them, not me.

The problem with the political system (in my opinion), as people have heard me say before, is that in order to be elected to any kind of office, no matter how low, one has to garner favors which must be repaid at some point. By the time a politician works his/her way up to higher offices, they owe BIG TIME. The system is corrupt and the "players" are corrupted by it. It is one reason so many of us look toward the "newcomers", hoping they are less corrupt than the veterans of the game.

I'm sure there is much more to all of this than any of us know, but with our limited knowledge (and yes, I did SOME homework before I voted), we are all still free to form and voice our own opinions. THAT is what STILL makes this country great.
That's a very considered evaluation Diana.

Obama's method of fundraising from the internet, getting large numbers of small donations, is both clever because it is new and also avoids some of the "pay-back" situation you mention.

I'm of the opinion that the non-discriminating voters who gave him a vote just because he is black will be balanced by the "conservative" shall I say element that would not vote for him because he is not white.

The swing voters moved his way because he is statesmanlike, a good orator and displays intelligence.

Looking in from the outside one facet of the victory that appeals to foreign countries is the fact that the majority of Americans voted for a coloured candidate. Whether or not you Americans feel this is historic, to the outside world it signals that middle America is putting aside its racist past. To the likes of African countries it must be like somebody just lit a bonfire on the moon.

The value of this goodwill should not be underestimated.

Alan and others are clearly worried the guy does not have experience enough to correct the economic problems. It's possible that he will be able to use the goodwill he has earned internationally to help make significant changes on the international financial playing field. As big as the US economy may be our current financial troubles are world wide. We need to look farther than the local economy for a fix.

Let's hope he is smart enough to pull a good team behind him to achieve this magic "change" we are promised. We sure as hell need a change, any time soon.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

Sure, the rest of the world may think that America put aside it's racial past, but in reality, they didn't. It's still there, in sizable force, and that's going to take a bit more than this to get over. However, to vote him in because he's black, having the world look at us nicer, is a foolish way to select a leader.

And CEO to President is not apples to oranges. The CEO answers to his shareholders, his board members, his employee's, and his customers. He does a bad job, and people can easily switch to competition. Unfortuantly, with President, that's really not an option, at least not for most. Sure you could say "move to another country" but it's not realistic. Do people? Yes. Can everyone? No. Not even a small percent. So, your CEO you shop at his competition as a way of saying you don't like him. Your president? Options are limited, pretty much to don't vote for him next time. I don't like those options.

So now he's President Elect. I'm worried. I've considered moving, seriously, to canada or nothern europe, I have the education and the skills to most likely make it pretty well. However, I have kids, and seperating them from their mother, regardless of how she is, just isn't right. Well, I guess we'll see where we end up. I'll hang in there, with one foot in the door.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Jay, you are either misunderstanding or misquoting what I said. Your phrase "the rest of the world may think that America has put aside it's racist past" implies that it is over, a done deal.

What I said was "to the outside world it signals that middle America is putting aside its racist past". "putting" implies work in progress, not an over and done with situation.

And the comparison with a big company or large corporation CEO may seem valid on the surface but is very disingenuous. Not in the USA or anywhere in the world is the Corporate environment subject to the checks and balances of a mature democracy. This is an apples and oranges comparison.

When you elect a president, you are electing a whole party and a complete government system. Not just one man. Black or white.

And I'm surprised at your comment about voting in a black to make the US look nicer to the world. Since when exactly did US citizens start to worry about how their elected representatives look to the outside world? A more insular and introspective electorate has yet to be invented.

Barak Obama is starting with the good will and trust of most of the nations of the world. Don't denigrate that, it's not because he has black skin. One or two of them have seen blacks before.

Row in and give the administration your support. Ignore Chicken Little.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 PM

Registered SVX

People talk of taxes and the economy and say we're doomed with Obama... And you woul have rather elected a man who couldn't remember how many homes he owned......

I could see everything being blamed on the clinton years execpt that i haven't seen one good thing come from these last 8 republican years.... Yet a lot of good things happened under clinton...
Old 11-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi Joe, Thanks for the kind words. You are welcome over here any time. I was proud that rhe American people did the right thing and elected the best man for the job. He will have his work cut out for him. I hope the rest of the Democrats are up to the job. Also, don't be afraid of going with an Apple computer. I've had nothing but for more than a decade. If they can work for me they can work for anyone. Take care, BOBB
Old 11-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuberNatural View Post
...you woul have rather elected a man who couldn't remember how many homes he owned......
Is this really a valid argument when his opposing candidate couldn't remember how many states there are in our union?

I don't much want to participate heavily in this thread, but let's play fair.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Certified Porschephile

The libs jumped all over the homes he owned question, when the WHOLE interview is replayed he explained he actually lives in 2, but has 7 as his wife is far more wealthy then he is and has ownership of the family estate. Doesn't make him look so "elitist" when the actual story is released in full. Obama claimed to have been to 57 of the 59 states, and Biden can't spell the word jobs, yet Quayle was a laughing stock for adding an e to potato. I don't think McCain was the best choice, but against Obama, he was.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Is this really a valid argument when his opposing candidate couldn't remember how many states there are in our union?

I don't much want to participate heavily in this thread, but let's play fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I don't think McCain was the best choice, but against Obama, he was.
agreed, +1

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)