SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2003, 06:10 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Driving In Snow AVS db

Okay we got some new snow. The road from my house to the highway was covered with 4" and this the first time I got to drive with the Yokohama AVS db in the snow for an extented time. Here are some thought on these tires.
The car will always move from a standing start even on a steep hill. Nice to know I won't get stuck.
Driving in 4"-5" of new snow (no salt, sand or gravel) with a few car tracks, at about 30 mph the car starts to slide around.
Rapid brake pedal tapping helps to stop quicker with the ABS.
While drive on a thin coating of road ice, the feel of the front wheels starting to slide is immediate. Feed back to the steering wheel is fantastic. (From a few of the ice coatings we had. Eh Kelli )
Hard packed snow on the highway (No salt,sand or gravel) is good for about 40 mph before the steering starts to slide.
Put any sand salt or gravel under the wheels with 2" of snow and it isn't a problem. The car stops and steers great.
Two inch of slush on the road with salt n gravel and no problem with steering and stopping.
Hard packed snow that has become very hard (no salt, sand or gravel) and the car takes forever to stop. This was very evident as I went sliding past the driveway for the gas station this morning.
Also a little bit of gas and the back end will slide right out at any speed. funwhy OhnO