SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2002, 08:14 PM
greg

Just thought everyone should know!

As I have mentioned before, on October 25 my car was backed into by an 18-wheeler. The truck drug my car about 2-3 feet before realizing he was running something over. I took the Driver's information and I made sure I followed up with the trucking companies insurance carrier. Upon following up with the Insurance carrier, they informed me that they no longer had a policy with R and L Carriers. I called R and L Carriers and they claimed to be self insured. After over thirty days of investigation I could not find a certificate for them. In order to be self-insured you must have a certificate with your state as well as being bonded in that state. They should have been bonded for $2,000,000.00. After all the investigation I turned in a claim to State Farm (my insurance carrier) under my Uninsured Motorists. State Farm followed up with R and L Carriers and was told two things: first, the trucking company said they offered me money already ($800.00 for $4,935.19 worth of damages, I do not consider that an offer). Second, they said they had a current certificate and would forward it to State Farm. State Farm then denied my claim. I argued with the gentleman at State Farm and told him I wanted to see this "certificate" and they agreed to send it to me. After looking over the document sent from R and L Carriers I noticed it was an umbrella policy with an actual insurance company that would only pay if they did damages in excess of 2million dollars (thus the bond should have been for 2 million). I sent that policy and all my current information to Ohio BMV for them to look over and they confirmed that R and L carriers was not certified or bonded in Ohio (the home state of that company) and that the document I forwared to them was usless without a certificate of self retention up to 2 million dollars. I forwarded this information back to State Farm and they reviewed it again. My car is now being fixed and paid for by State Farm under an uninsured motorist claim:

R and L Carriers Inc., Gator Frieghtways Inc., R and L Transfer Inc., and Greenwood Motor Lines Inc. ARE DRIVING ARE HIGHWAYS EVERYDAY, PUTTING OUR FAMILIES AT RISK WITH NO INSURANCE!

-G