Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
front differential setup how to and re-rebuild of genuine Subaru Remanufactured 4eat

SVXfiles sent me a genuine Subaru remanufactured transmission to use as a core to do a performance rebuild for one of his customers. I believe it is supposed to be slipping in 4th gear but I haven't gotten into rebuilding the actual transmission section yet. After washing it up and beginning to tear it down I didn't like the wear pattern I saw on the ring and pinion so I decided to re-setup the differential.

It's not very convenient to take pictures while setting up a differential but I set out to do so anyway. I hope the information proves useful.

ok so here's the transmission:

Here's the ring gear: What concerns me is that the contact pattern goes all the way to the outside of the ring gear (called the heel) and all the way to the edge (called the face). We'd like there to be an unworn edge around the face and the heel. We want our contact patch to start offset to the toe side (ID side of ring gear) and move to the center under load. This leaves an unworn strip all along the toe edge, the face edge, and the heel edge.

Here's the pinion: The wear pattern is nice and large but it is shinyest towards the nose of the gear. I'm suspicious this is two overlapping contact patterns from before and after the Subaru remanufacture.

Last edited by longassname; 10-10-2015 at 08:45 PM.