Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM

Transfer Duty Solenoid

Firstly, I want to thank "Shane Hobson" from NZ for helping diagnose a problem I'm having with my SVX. I originally posted the following on a different thread:

"When turning tightly and slowly in my SVX, particularly on gravel, you can hear the rear wheels slipping on the gravel - it almost sounds like they are not turning in sync with the front wheels. On bitumin, slow turning makes a thudding sound on each revolution, again feeling like the wheels are trying to compensate for the different speeds they are travelling at thru a tight corner. Any ideas?"

Shane suggested it could be a problem with the Transfer Duty Solenoid. I had no idea what that was, so I did a few Google Searches. There was a lot of info on Torque Bind in relation to the solenoid. Now that I have a good chance that this diagnosis is correct, where is the best place to buy one and where should I take it to be fixed? Would most Auto Trans Mechanics be able to fix it without wrecking something else? (I live in Maitland, NSW). Is this part the same as from other Subie models? Is it likely that the clutch pack may need replacing as well? Thanks!

Last edited by gjhumphris; 09-18-2012 at 05:11 AM.