Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
After seeing the minuscule volume of the inside of the manifold I can only imagine that the flow through it is limited and I would imagine the limit is right around 6500 engine RPMS and thus the high RPM engines that are experiencing the issues. Lets see what we find and work from there.

I can honestly say that impeding the flow is not going to help anything except allowing it to overheat on both sides of the engine rather than just the one restricted at this point

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
The info that supports this argument are that the newer 6 cylinder Subarus have 2 return pipes to the radiator making me think they found the left bank wasn't getting enough cooling. Second a UK rally guy sent my buggy friend a photo of how they have moded the top pipe on the 4 cylinder so the water flows more evenly from the heads because they had been killing engines on the left bank.
Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
You may be right Tom I have not compared the amount of flow to other engines. Just the other 6clyinder Subaru which has a heap more coolent flow per min. What engine have you looked at the flow of.
Tony
I'm just going to make a general comment here about this problem, rather than a specific suggestion for a solution. I'll be watching for the success of what you are doing.

Do we all remember the development car picture with Twin Turbo on the rear corner? And we know that Subaru never supplied the SVX with a manual gearbox, stating that a manual gearbox would not handle the torque, which we long recognise was BS.

Based on the problems we are having here I'm inclined to believe that Fuji engineers were aware of the poor cooling, and the car was released without a manual to keep revs down, and without the turbos because they would add heat.

Note that instead of developing the EG 33, they next produce the EZ30 which in some ways is less advanced than the EG was. As Tony notes above though, the newer 6 cylinder has a better grasp of cooling the block.

Maybe this inhibiting problem was there and recognised by them all along, and they just moved on to a different block to get around it?

Just a thought

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl