Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2009, 05:16 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Banning Flavored Tobacco Pt. 2

If you recall or I can show you I posted on this subject before while the bill was in its infancy still being lobbied around.

Well, now the bill has been passed by the House of Representatives and with a twist that has got me really upset. Apparently while Democrat Reprisentative Henry Waxman and Republican Tom Davis were down on their luck peddling an earlier iteration a kind corporation offered them support in return for some slight changes in the bill which you now see today. This "altruistic" corporation is Philip Morris and the change they required was the exemption of menthol as a flavor to be banned by the FDA who now fully supports it.

In what a author so poignantly called the Marlboro Monopoly Act this bill if passed by the Senate will manage to shatter the 1st Amendment Bill of Rights and 2nd Amendment's Interstate Commerce Clause. In my opinion this bill is not only racist but has the kind of naked plutocratic favoritism or corporate protectionism in the guise of public health that should never see the light of day if you don't want it to set precedents that could jeopardize what this is being pushed to protect.

The only hope if this bill passes is if the Supreme Court can come to their senses, they surely don't need to take a closer look to figure out how its biased and what its violating.