IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
My 92's: More Changes, More Progress

As I was doing the counts and filing receipts from my recent car-related purchases, I figured that I should post again, since my car situation has changed yet again in the past few months.

I recently sold both the blue 1992 Legacy and the 1992 Pearl LS-L (which the new owner already totaled and junked )

Some of you are aware of the recent problems I encountered with my Claret. More on that shortly. First, my Ebony.

During this past summer, I dragged home another SVX, which I purchased from a member here. Long story short, this car used to belong to another forum member, who was very careful with the way he had maintained the car. I had in fact driven the car during some period in 2006, at which point it was still a great car overall, with a few little quirks, but nothing out of the ordinary, and had just around 188k miles.

Spring 2006:

The car had since been sold to a certain neighbor and Subaru enthusiast with several other SVXs, who not long after the purchase, blew the front differential and parked the car. I had forgotten about the car for quite some time, and was surprised went it up for sale with the trans still inop. this year.

The seller assured me that the car was not touched and in the same condition as when parked, and offered to include a handful of spare parts and a "good 4.11 trans and matching rear" with the car. What I got was a different story.

On a first look, the car had just typical signs of sitting for nearly two years. I soon discovered some unpleasant surprises.

The seller had not only switched off minor parts to his other SVXs like the tires/wheels and passenger side wiper blade , but had also
-switched the door handles, and locks
-swapped the nice grey leather seats for much more worn ones
-Swapped the newer oem struts out and replaced with older more used and worn units(the rears and possibly the fronts as well)
-cut out the radio and shoved a non-working head unit in its place so as to appear hooked up
-removed the floor mats (typical, not that big of a deal)
-removed the good master window cluster
-installed a faulty one with broken buttons
-took the good ashtray and replaced it with a broken one
-replaced the nice grey steering wheel with a very worn and damaged one (and installed it crooked)