IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
SVX in NHRA divisional racing event again

Well, to some of you this news might come as a surprise. For others, it was expected. Honestly, for me, I am shocked (and I am the driver)!

As most of you know, I am the only one in the United States that races a Subaru SVX in NHRA points events. Now dont get me wrong, I know some of you out there also race their SVX's at NHRA tracks, and I applaud you. In 2004, I ran the season in a pro-points series called NHRA Gold Cup. When the season comes to a close, the top 5 racer from every track will run off in their own prospective divisions for a divisional championship. There are 7 divisions in the US and the winners in each of their events go to Pomona, California for the National Finals. In 2004, I competed and took 2nd place in our local top 5 and competed in Mission, Canada at the divisional finals. I did OK for a rookie in my first year running such events and I represented our beloved SVX well. My representation was recognized enough to be the determining factor in getting PWR to make our after market radiators for us.

I took a few years off from pro-points NHRA racing to get a second SVX on the road so that my first one that was starting to show its age and miles could be retired to race car status and development. This work started part way into the 2007 season. I have continued to race in a "recreational" fashion to maintain my reaction time skills in local events. The overall goal was to have fun and continue the process of refining the car and return in a more pro-points state in 2008.

Division 6 officially sanctioned one of the classes I ran as a hobby for 2007 without my knowledge until late into the game. My Import racing this year has been quite fruitful. So far this year, there has been 5 Import points events. I have missed one race all together and I have THREE 1st place wins (one being the big Import Summer Jam).

After that event, I was informed about Division taking the top 2 imports from every track to the division finals, this year in Woodburn, Oregon. After taking my third 1st place finish on Friday, I set my place in stone for one of the slots to compete. The person I beat in the final locally is the current points leader with an 18 point lead. The main difference here is that he has made all of the events and I totally missed a day not knowing the importance at that time. Regardless of that:

I am taking a Subaru SVX to NHRA Division 6 finals for the second time in 4 years!!!

My logistics will be hellish as I only have a few days to prepare. My tires will not pass safety. I spent my savings account on a replacement windshield as to pass tech. I am going to attempt to purchase 2 tires and my sister has stepped up to sponsor the other 2 on credit. I don't have permission at this time to name another member here, but if/when I do, he is tentatively providing us with a camper to stay in at the track (hotel costs can be a killer and its much harder to find pet friendly ones). I will have a pair of what I consider an excellent mascot for the car with me. As I noted to people at Earls NW Seafood meet, what better to represent a car designed by Italdesign than Italian Greyhounds. They are my good luck cheer team.

So, for those that are interested, I will be headed to the track in Woodburn this Thursday the 6th. I am hoping to arrange the logistics to get the car towed there on my fathers flatbed trailer, but the scheduling of the tow vehicle in question is still up in the air. Worse case, I put blankets all over the floor boards to insulate from heat and noise and just drive it. I dont know what individual crew entry fees are, I do know that its $25 for Fri-Sun or $20 for Sat-Sun.

There is a lot of un-budgeted expenses I am having to deal with to compete and I am well aware that its my cost to play. I maintain a web site for my sponsors, but it has not been updated since I did not do any sponsored racing for a while. I am going to update it later today (Monday) and prepare it for updates from the event. If anyone is interested, I will have updates posted there as soon as they happen. If I have broadband access at the track, photos will be included. If not, I will call in my updates to Jim and he will post them in text form until the end of the day when I can email photos. If anyone is interested in assisting in anyway, please PM me. I assure you that a spot of gratitude will be designated to any/all that have assisted in this form.

So, until the date comes closer, I pledge to you all, that I will give my best shot to represent the SVX and our community as a car that still has class, spunk, and style. Would it not be great to put the SVX into the winners circle at this event and regain some free national attention?

Wish me luck and I hope to all feel your virtual push to the finish line and beyond..... The world has not seen enough of this car yet!!

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2

Last edited by Chris; 09-03-2007 at 04:02 AM.