Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Upcoming Meets
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Next Year's (2008) Walter Reed Car Show

Today there was a car show held at Walter Reed Hospital for the troops there recovering. It was sponsored by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). I found out about it (along with RUFUS) with very short notice - not enough time to get anyone registered and processed through the security procedures to get on to the Walter Reed facility.

HOWEVER, it is also planned for next year, perhaps in the Spring. August has proved to be just too hot, especially for the troops in their condition - the heat index was 105 degrees today in Washington, DC. But there was about 40 cars there and a rather large number of soldiers that did get out to look the cars over, sit in them, talk to the owners about them, etc. My son Tom, was there with his car (Focus SVT) and found it a VERY rewarding experience. The soldiers were very appreciative of this event, and a number expressed that it did them a wold of good to be reminded of what they once held very dear to their hearts - CARS!! See some pics are here: http://gallery.mac.com/jrussrhodes#100007

The pics are, for the most part, of the cars only. The photog was reluctant to take pics of the injured soldiers.

SO, I just wanted to ask if there is any interest from those of the network within driving distance of Walter Reed Hospital for the event next year. I will be posting the info when I receive it (and I will ensure I get it much sooner next year). I think it would be great to have a bunch of SVXi to show up. We will receive a great warm feeling from this, I'm sure!!

What do you think????

Thanks,
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx