SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Bipa

Little Joe

Perhaps we're crazy... or maybe we're just realistic... who knows?

But last night my husband and I both fell in love... with Little Joe

Little Joe and Gabi, who works at the shelter

Cute little fella, isn't he? He was found, along with his Mom and 6 sisters in a cave in Turkey. The folks who found them took them to a German-sponsered animal shelter in Antalya, Turkey, which is now taking care of them. In May, the pups will be 7 months old and ready to travel to new homes in Germany.

Heres Mom with some of her pups. Supposedly she's a Jack Russell mix.

Hubby and I have been tracking online all the major web sites and newspaper sites with ads for animals. It is possible that we could spot Kaya there, either listed as "found" or even "for sale". But after more than three weeks, hope is starting to fade. Our Kaya is either dead or else whoever found/took her has no intention of giving her back. We're still looking.... but meanwhile the place is empty and feels hollow.

We'd already started talking about providing foster care for a dog from an animal shelter. With puppy season here, the shelters will soon be overwhelmed and are already begging for folks to take in dogs even if just on a temporary basis. If the dog got along well with the kids and other animals on the farm, then we could end up keeping it, even if Kaya returns.

But then we found Little Joe.

Last night, Hubby sent an email to the Animal Rescue group. We figured it couldn't hurt to ask and get more info. A reply came back almost immediately by email with more pics and asking if a representative could call us the next day sometime in the early evening. The call came tonight, just as promised.

The organization doesn't sell the rescued dogs. Donations are gladly accepted, of course. New owners are screened for suitability, and a contract is signed stating that if for any reason you're unable to take care of the dog, then the dog goes back to the animal rescue group. There is a fee involved of approx 200 euro to cover vet care. All animals come fully immunized with an EU pet pass (an official record of all shots and immunizations, like a passport, required to cross borders) and are microchipped and sterilized (unless too young).

So now we're left wondering if we've done the right thing in making contact with the Shelter. They seem very enthusiastic, and are already planning to come and look us and our place over. They have a person in Stuttgart who will be calling us soon to make an appointment.

Guess I better get caught up with my housework!