Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Smallcar Shift Kit install - with pics!!!

I purchased a Smallcar shift kit from Rob Eubank (internet/ebay sales) on Monday afternoon, and it arrived at my door this afternoon! Thanks again Rob for your great service!

Decided to install the shift kit this afternoon and take a few pics with my digital camera as the directions from Smallcar on their website are a little vague and hard to follow. However, they are still useful as a guide, and you should read through them at least 3 times before proceeding.

To begin, disconnect your -ve battery cable. I also disconnected my +ve cable and removed the battery entirely to take better pics. With the battery removed, you can clearly see the factory trans resistor mounted on the inside fenderwall. Disconnect the connector going to the resistor.

There's a weather-proof cover that protects the wires which needs to be cut away and removed. As you cut into it, you'll see the two green wires that go to the trans resistor.

After removing the rubber cover, cut ONLY one of the wires leading to the trans resistor and strip the cut wire on each end by a 1/2". Attach the two stripped ends to the pink electrical connectors provided...

Follow the smallcar directions, and attach the electrical connectors to the appropriate points on the shift kit. You can then attach the shift kit to the inside fenderwall by using one of the 10mm screws holding the trans resistor in place.

The trans resistor can get a little hot during operation, so when running the vacuum line, be sure to give it adequate clearance from the resistor and hot parts of your engine.

Smallcar recommends using the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line as a source of vacuum for the operation of their shift kit. The fpr vacuum line is located on the opposite side of the engine block at the back of the intake manifold. Slide the fpr vacuum line off the manifold...

Now cut the line about 5"-6" from the end that plugged into the manifold. Attached the cut piece to the bottom of the t-fitting provided as shown:

Now attach the vacuum line leading to the fpr as well as the one going to the shift kit to either ends of the 'T' fitting.

Reinstall the battery (or hook up the -ve cable) and you're all done! When you first start the car, check the vacuum line on the shift kit and the ones on the t-fitting to be sure that there's no vacuum leaking.

-Chike

P.S. Several people are also confused about how to adjust the firmness of the shifts. The adjustment screw is located on the part of the shift kit that the vacuum line goes over. To adjust, pull the vacuum line off and use an appropriate sized allen key to turn the screw clockwise or anti-clockwise. Turning it clockwise (screw goes inwards) will make your shifts quick and firm, while turning it anti-clockwise (screw goes outwards) will make your shifts longer and smoother.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)