SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Dave J.

Unhappy Security and alarm difficulites preventing engine start

My car was stored over the winter and the battery completely discharged. Upon re-charging it the car would not start. No power to the starter at all though everything else electrical worked. Thinking the battery was starting to fail I had it checked out and it's fine. So, thinking the starter might have died I checked it using a remote starter switch. It turns the engine with no problem, plenty of power, so its okay too.

Now I suspect the alarm/security sytem. I really didn't use the alarm before but thought that it might need to be reset. After going thru the programming of the remote to no avail about ten times I'm at a dead end.

The programming process seems to work as described by Randy in his posts to this forum. Security switch off, ignition on then off, rapidly swtich the security switch on and off until the horn beeps and a clicking sound comes from the dash (programming mode), press the remote button five times (parking lights flash to confirm and horn beeps), then turn ignition on then off again. This whole procedure works except that the horn does not beep when pressing the remote button five times. The horn does beep three times in rapid succession when pressing the security switch on and off to enter programming mode.

Using the remote arms and disarms the alarm and locks and unlocks the doors. Unfortunately using the key does not get the starter to turn over, and it won't start with the key on while using a remote starter switch to crank the engine.

I could use a little help here. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there and alternate procedure to program the remote or reset the alarm system? All advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Dave J.