SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 04:07 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Zip ties on the brake lines?

OK, so I'm out in the driveway doing my rear brakes, and I notice there's like a dozen Zip Ties on my rubber brake lines. I get curious, and whadda ya know, they're on all my rubber lines. Is this an unknown mod, or did Fuji do this @ the factory?
It IS a pretty good idea though, the lines can't "swell" as much. It's not stainless steel braided lines, but it works for me.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Are they wrapped around the line itself, or are they holding the lines down to frame/chassy/suspension parts?
Seems odd if they are wrapped around the lines only
Old 10-17-2007, 04:43 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Just wrapped around the lines, as close as they could be gotten. This is what makes me think it MAY be factory.

Like I said, it's a great idea, I'd never have thought of it.

(Kinda what makes it such a good idea LOL)
Current Stable By Age:
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Not factory, and not a good idea. Look at a hose where the clamp goes. Imagine 8 years or so (average life of a brake line) of swelling and unswelling with something as sharp as a zip tie. Now imagine that line breaking through as you're in the middle of a panic stop. Finally imagine what the lawyer for the woman's family you just killed is gonna say about your strap tie as you're paying him 1/3 of your salary for the rest of your life. Not a wise way to save $50 in hydro lines.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Not factory, and not a good idea. Look at a hose where the clamp goes. Imagine 8 years or so (average life of a brake line) of swelling and unswelling with something as sharp as a zip tie. Now imagine that line breaking through as you're in the middle of a panic stop. Finally imagine what the lawyer for the woman's family you just killed is gonna say about your strap tie as you're paying him 1/3 of your salary for the rest of your life. Not a wise way to save $50 in hydro lines.
Then I oughtta get my nippers out & start cutting those bad boys off!!!
I drive pretty agressively, and I DO NOT scrimp on brakes. (Hence why I was doing my back brakes @ the 1st sign of the "squeal tabs")

I never thought of what you said benebob, but it does make a lotta sense.
Current Stable By Age:
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Then I oughtta get my nippers out & start cutting those bad boys off!!!
I drive pretty agressively, and I DO NOT scrimp on brakes. (Hence why I was doing my back brakes @ the 1st sign of the "squeal tabs")

I never thought of what you said benebob, but it does make a lotta sense.
Well honestly the damage may be done. You'll know if the lines look lie a twisty straw! If you have a spare set of lines or can take yours off for a day or so you should be able to find a tractor hydro shop locally that can rebuild 'em for ya for about $50 or so. Most places if big enough will even give ya the choice out of 10 different kinds of line. You could sport hot pink braided lines!