SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2003, 01:54 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Question Adding component speakers

Hi everyone. I'm looking to install some component speakers since my front ones are pretty much shot. So far I've narrowed it down to the Audiobahn ABC6002Q's since they are very inexpensive and have some pretty nice specs.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=audabc600q

I plan on hooking them up with the stock head unit and I'm wondering how I should go about doing it. There are 4 outputs for the front, 2 tweeters and the two full ranges. Should I just ignore the current tweeter wire and just hook the components up to where the 6 1/2" speakers are? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-29-2003, 06:05 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
I would say, try it with the tweeters still in...if you find you have too much treble, then go in and unplug the tweeters.

Another way to do it was what I did:

I bought Rockford Fosgate components, but they came with the door speaker, AND a separate tweeter. I hooked up the supplied crossover to the door speaker wire coming from the H.U. Put one output to the door speaker, then ran the wire all the way back up to the tweeters, and just left the stock connectors in the hole.

It sounds amazing with the added bass of my 2 10's, really gives a full range of sound frequencies.

Just a thought on a different way to do it.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 04-29-2003, 07:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
i personally used the components and just took the stock tweeters out. I wanted to keep stock look on the tweeter part so i just put newspaper in the tweeter spots and sat the tweeter in there. Looks and sounds awesome. I used apline components they are awesome. it is very tricky to do this though i would suggest using a clothes hanger to thread the wire through. Good Luck
chris
Old 04-29-2003, 07:16 PM
My car's Italian, right?

My question is does the stock head unit have a built in crossover for the tweeter or does the stock tweeter have its built in crossover?

I should use the wires from the door and then just run new wires to the tweeter location?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-29-2003, 07:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
i found it much more easier to use the crossover's given by alpine, hope that helps
Old 04-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Porter

The stock tweeter has its own crossover built in.

Please, for the love of God, don't run that craptacular stock tweeter with any aftermarket speakers. It'll mask the clean highs you're getting out of the new speakers with the squawky mess that apparently passes for treble from the manufacturer.

Personally, I run JL Audio XR series components... XR650CSi. I've disabled the rear speakers and just run the fronts... people keep asking me where the subwoofer is hiding.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:36 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Those Audiobahn components are replacing the stock midrange and the tweeter, but im not sure how to hook it up per se.

I wasnt sure what to do with the original wire coming from the stock head unit to the stock tweeter since it would be unhooked. Does the wire from the head unit leading to the door speaker just giving mid range or will it have treble for the new tweeters too? I was just checking since I thought all the high mid and low frequencies were separated at the stock head unit.

BTW. My front speakers and tweeters are blown so its all getting replaced
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Trial and error!

Experiment with different setups and you determine what sounds best for you.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
I wasnt sure what to do with the original wire coming from the stock head unit to the stock tweeter since it would be unhooked. Does the wire from the head unit leading to the door speaker just giving mid range or will it have treble for the new tweeters too? I was just checking since I thought all the high mid and low frequencies were separated at the stock head unit.
The stock SVX head unit has only 4 speaker outputs: Front L/R, and rear L/R. The stock tweeters are wired in parallel with the front door speakers.

The SVX's speaker wiring has no crossovers or any extra circuitry. The front speaker wires go from the connector that plugs into the head unit straight to the plugs for the door speakers. Somewhere behind the dash, wires tap off and go to the plugs under where the tweeters go (whether your SVX had factory tweeters or not).

Neither the stock head unit nor the stock door speakers have crossovers. As somebody else mentioned above, the stock tweeters have their own crossovers (really just high-pass filters).

What other people have done with component speakers like these Audiobahns (pairs of: door speaker + tweeter + crossover module) is install the large speaker and crossover in the doors, and fish new wires from the crossovers up to the respective tweeters. "Purists" have also fished new, beefier speaker wires from the head unit to the doors. If you do that, then you can mount the crossovers behind the dash and run wires from there directly to the tweeters and door speakers.

For more information on the stock wiring, see my SVX Audio Installation web page (read section 2.5.1, and see the "SVX Radio & Clock Wiring Diagram" in that section).

Last edited by SVXdc; 07-15-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:45 AM
JLittell

I got to tell you...Replacing the rear speakers in literal pain in the ass! I thought changing the spark plugs was easier!

Old 06-22-2003, 08:56 AM
My car's Italian, right?

The rear speakers were easy! I know the trick I ended up with Infinity Kappa 62.5i's for the front. The tweeters are still connected but you can't even hear them. The highs from the kappas are so good they overcrowd the stock tweeters. The highs from the kappas actually sound like they're coming from the stock tweeter location so it seems as if I had components. They are definitely underpowered but I am still waiting until I get a new head unit and install the amp.
2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 06-22-2003 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Its not that bad after the 3rd time it gets easier. I’ve switched my rear speakers two times then dyanamated. Both new sets of speakers I have installed required modifying a set of 6-1/2” to 6X9 adaptors.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:15 AM
JLittell

The 'How Too' doesn't do much help in here on how to remove them. Did you have to remove the interior side panels? What was your trick TE1221?
Old 06-22-2003, 09:23 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I removed the interior side panels then the rear deck slides out.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:47 AM
My car's Italian, right?

The trick is to pull out the bottom part of the seat and take it out of the car. Then there is another screw at the bottom of the interior panel. You unscrew that and pull the whole side panel off. You also disconnect the window switch. You do the same to the other side. The whole rear deck piece will slide right off. Very simple.
2012 Camry V6 SE